Advice needed to develop core

Options
Following longish illness and several major surgical procedures in the abdominal region I have limited core strength which I need to develop. My problem is two large hernia's, I can place my fist in both I have had a botched repair so have some support internally.

I started exercising with rowing machine which is helping strengthen back and core also using elliptical, cycle, walk and jog, I use some weights mainly dumbbell's.

I am looking for more ways to improve core strength without straining crunches and heavy lifting out at the moment.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• xxangelwingsxx
    Options
    planks are a good exercise and bridge is another both are core isometric movements that strengthen both your lumbar spine and abdominal areas.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Plank position maybe your best bet as it is a static exercise.

Either that or yoga maybe.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    forget all the upper abs, work on your transverse abdominis. With out a strong 'v' your upper abs will become bullys and take over all the work leaving you open to bacl, knee, joint injuries. google transverse and you will find many many easy exercises for it. good luck :)
  • wingchungym
    Options
    DDP Yoga would be perfect for you, have a look at this very inspirational clip :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone have googled these and they seem to fit the bill.