Pumpkin Pie Muffins

Options
NutritionDivaRD
NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
I thought now would be the perfect time to post one of my favorite recipes! Keep in mind not to purchase pumpkin pie filling as these can have added flavorings. Look for solid-pack or 100% pure pumpkin. It is packed with nutrients and has no preservatives (check the ingredients, I buy Libby's....no preservatives). It is an excellent source of potassium, Vitamin A, and thiamin! I've seen a few posts lately regarding potassium and how to increase potassium intake. Keep this recipe in mind for days when you may be looking for something that's nutritious, delicious, and a little different. You may adjust the recipe to suit individual needs if you so desire. :) My husband and kids LOVE this recipe and I feel good knowing they are getting something healthy.

Nutritional info: (I entered all of this into the database so that I would have it in "my recipes")
Makes: 12
Serving size: 1 muffin
Calories 194
Total Fat: 6 g
Carbs: 33
Protein: 4
Sodium: 239 mg
Potassium: 163 mg

Keep in mind the recipe reflected the nutritional information based on the settings for my diary so I've included it that way.

Ingredients
Cooking spray (I use muffin cups as I don't like cooking spray)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray (or use muffin cups).

In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, the baking soda, salt, and spices. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, molasses, oil, and one of the eggs until combined. Add the other egg and whisk well. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the buttermilk, just until combined. Put the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each about two-thirds full. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any air bubbles. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

Allow the muffins to cool about 15 minutes then remove from the muffin tins and allow to cool completely. Enjoy them warm or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.

Replies