Protein shakes for weight loss

Options
I was looking into buying a protein shake to replace morning meals when I'm in a rush and don't have time to eat.
Has anyone here replaced a meal with a protein shake?
And what should I look for on the label when purchasing some.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

I do not use meal replacements.

I prepare my own protein shake and I have it in addition to my regular meal plan.

I use:

45 minutes before workout: 1 scoop of whey protein isolate, 1/2 cup skim milk and a banana. all in a blender until liquid.

I take to the gym for ingesting immediately after workout: 1 scoop of whey protein isolate plus 1/2 cup plain water.

It helps my muscle recovery after weight lifting and avoid muscle soreness.

Good luck in your journey
  • Dch2272
    Dch2272 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard 100% Casein by Optimum Nutrition (I buy it at GNC). It isn't grainy and it comes in a few flavors. I tend to prefer the chocolate which also helps to cut down on my chocolate cravings. I have a shake within 30 minutes of my workout to help my muscles recover.

I mix it with water, but you can use other sources of liquid (milk, coffee, etc.). The coffee may sound strange, but if you mix it with coffee, ice, and cinnamon you get a great tasting mocha drink without all of those excess calories.

I hope that helps!
  • Dch2272
    Dch2272 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I neglected to answer your entire question, I do use it for a meal replacement for breakfast and usually as a snack during the day if I'm rushed.
  • miller92020
    Options
    Hi there. I've done this many times, but I always try to use real food as much as possible. As far as what you should look for on the label it would depend on your goals/personal preference. There are a lot of "designer" whey protein brands out there that taste great, but add some extra carbs etc that may or may not fit into your daily intake plan.

If you're looking for a good lean protein with solid reviews (I use it a lot myself as well) then I would suggest optimum nutrition 100% whey gold standard:

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B002DYIZH6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380627903&sr=8-3&keywords=optimum+nutrition+whey

You can mix it with milk/almond milk/soy milk etc to make it taste even better, but it's fine just mixed with water as well. Hope this helped.

Edit: Not sure how to make the above link a "link", but if you just copy and paste it into your internet address bar it will take you to amazon.com and you can read reviews and get more information about ON protein.

Edit2: Oops, Dch2272 beat me to it!
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I used to have protein shakes all the time, post workout or in the morning. Since it's so expensive I buy cheap asda meal replacement powder (chocolate flavour of course). I use it in making smoothies, usually with organic peanut butter and a banana. I try to use almond milk but for a whole pint glass, that uses a lot of milk. Instead I mainly use ice and water since it adds no calories that way.
    I don't have protein shakes/meal replacements shakes as a meal. For breakfast I will make a big smoothie, only because it takes me a while to get hungry and after that I'll have another banana or a bagel. I don't like using shakes as complete meal replacements. Even post workout I'll have one while I'm cooking dinner.
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sorry to also answer the last bit of your question, the only thing I look at is what flavour it is. My dad always bought it for me so I'm not too sure on what to get. I do prefer the whey protein compared to the soya, but that could just be a personal thing.
    I would also like to know if there is a big difference in protein shakes or if it's all just the same in the end (not meaning if it's soya/whey btw)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You should look for one that tastes good and that has the proper macros for a reasonably balanced diet.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was looking into buying a protein shake to replace morning meals when I'm in a rush and don't have time to eat.

Look at fit train frappe, they got good tasting proetin drinks plus caffeine if you want it or no caffeine options too. They are awesome as frappe and is ok hot. I use the one with caffeine pre workouts and in the mornings, and the chocolate if I get hungry between meals.
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Lean Shake. Low carb/low fat. 25 grams protein. Also, it is designed as a meal replacement. I drink it every morning. It is available in ready to go or mix it yourself varieties. More flavors are available in the mix it yourself.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've used Herbalife and Visalus in the past. Visalus tastes better but they both are pretty expensive. I prefer Visalus because the flavor can be mixed with whatever I want and wont overpower (I add fiber, almond milk and fruit to mine)

I buy mine off amazon for $45, it lasts a month and I use it for breakfast.
    I've also used GNC Lean shakes, (vanilla and chocolate) and I still use them when I can catch them on sale

DISCLAIMER: I dont sell any products. EVER. And I hate the "Vi Life" cult, but the product itself serves the purpose.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You should look for one that tastes good and that has the proper macros for a reasonably balanced diet.

This^^^

There is a huge difference between an MRP shake and a Protein shake.

I wouldn't replace a meal with a protein shake.
  • alextab4
    Options
    Do you guys suggest getting a protein shake to help with weight loss or no?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

No, a protein shake it a protein supplement. It helps you meet your protein goals for the day, especially where exercise is involved as protein is necessary for muscle repair/building.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I'm all for protein shakes but to say you don't have time in the morning just means you aren't waking up early enough. Make the time for a proper meal .. end of story.

If it was easy everyone would do it ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There are better options for meal replacement than a protein shake...protein shakes don't have a whole lot of other nutrition. They are great for supplementing your protein needs, especially if you're lifting, etc...but there are better options for meal replacement...but really, food is where it's at most of the time. If you have to do a meal replacement on occasion, that's one thing...if it's all of the time then you probably have piss poor time management skills.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No, a protein shake it a protein supplement. It helps you meet your protein goals for the day, especially where exercise is involved as protein is necessary for muscle repair/building.
    Agreed.

There are better options for meal replacement than a protein shake...protein shakes don't have a whole lot of other nutrition. They are great for supplementing your protein needs, especially if you're lifting, etc...but there are better options for meal replacement...but really, food is where it's at most of the time. If you have to do a meal replacement on occasion, that's one thing...if it's all of the time then you probably have piss poor time management skills.

Also agreed.

Protein shakes are high in protein and low in EVERYTHING else. They are meant to be used as a protein supplement.

Meal replacements, generally, have moderate levels of a lot of things - fats, carbs, protein, as well as a variety of vitamins and minerals. They are meant to, surprisingly enough, replace meals.

Get the one that tastes the best and does what you need it to do.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

No.

Protein shakes are for making up your protein macro
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use one as a meal replacement for breakfast nearly everyday; I use PhD Diet Whey
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I'm all for protein shakes but to say you don't have time in the morning just means you aren't waking up early enough. Make the time for a proper meal .. end of story.

It's not that I don't have time, but I have three kids and morning time here is like running a circus and sometimes I forget to eat or rushed.. Everyday is different with kids, so I was thinking of incorporating a protein shake into my morning meal on the crazy days! That's all :)
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options

It's not that I don't have time, but I have three kids and morning time here is like running a circus and sometimes I forget to eat or rushed.. Everyday is different with kids, so I was thinking of incorporating a protein shake into my morning meal on the crazy days! That's all :)

-Because if you post a question in the forums, you MUST to explain the REASONING for such question. I find your reason valid. Just thought you'd like to know.