Fasted Cardio

Options
I keep hearing and seeing posts about people doing fasted cardio, and I wasn't sure what it even was....but basically you do your cardio with an empty stomach, which I normally do if I do cardio in the morning.

I just wanted people's opinions on fasted cardio. Is it good, bad, doesn't really make a difference?
The only reason I don't eat in the morning and then do cardio is because it kinda makes me feel sick to my stomach but after reading up on it a little it seems like it's a little self defeating to do fasted cardio.

Any advice and input is greatly appricated.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Regardless what some may read on the internet. It truly doesn't make a difference.

The reasoning to eat or not is really a preference of how one's body reacts to eating or not before cardio or exercise.

I run very well on a empty stomach. I can eat something before, but it seems to bog down my run.

On the other hand if I am playing hockey, I would rather have something to eat.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Any impact fasted vs fed has is negligible compared to the effort you give doing it. If eating first makes you feel sick and thus you don't push as hard or go as long, then fasted is definitely good for you. If training fasted makes you feel weak, light headed, etc, then training fed is better.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I practice IF (intermittent fasting) and although lately my schedule doesn't allow it, I used to lift and do cardio (whichever was planned for the day) before breaking fast. I found that I had more energy and adrenaline, was able to push myself harder and overall just felt better during and after my workout. I agree with chieflrg, eating beforehand makes me feel sluggish and bogged down.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    In the end it doesn't make a whole lot of difference unless you're already very lean.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In the end it doesn't make a whole lot of difference unless you're already very lean.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html

Yep yep.
  • jenny8902
    jenny8902 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    People continue to have this misguided notion that they can "will" their bodies to provide either a specific energy source, or any energy at all.

The energy demands of your workout are based on the intensity and duration of the activity, and the amount of fuel that is already available. If you have the fuel available to meet the demands of the workout, you will be able to do it . If you don't, you won't be able to complete the workout. Most people rarely get to a true "fasted" state anyway.

If you want to see what a true "fasted" workout looks like, watch one of those marathon or triathlon shows where they show the people staggering, collapsing, and crawling over the finish line.

You cannot "trick" your body into preferentially choosing one fuel substrate over another.

Arguing whether or not it is "preferable" to work out in a "fasted" state is primarily an exercise in tail-chasing. That's because there are so many variables involved.

Also keep in mind that "eating before exercise" does not mean having a full meal. I am not saying that anyone should change their routine, but I do think that people who say that "eating before I work out makes me feel sluggish" are referring to something different. "Eating before a workout" means taking in 75-150 calories tops. That can be in a liquid form, or an energy bar (or 1/2 a bar) or something like that. That's not going to "bog" anyone down. Again, not arguing that eating before a workout is the "best" option for everyone, just wanted to clarify that point.