Losing Too Fast

Options
Well, I never thought I'd have this problem! I have been eating 1500 calories/day for the past month. I am 52, and 5'2" tall. I am doing weights 3 times/week, and walking most days of the week. I have already lost 9 pounds, which is over 2 pounds per week. I only want to lose 1 pound per week in an effort to avoid ending up all flabby, and with stretched out skin.

I think I can safely add more calories at this point, but not sure how many to add. And I do have some fear about having to reduce them again if that does not work.

Any suggestions? If you had a similar situation, what did you do?

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I would actually give it another 1-2 weeks if I were you--sometimes you can drop a lot of water weight early on. If you're still losing too fast, try eating about half your earned exercise calories for a couple of weeks (if not already doing so).

Also, make sure your activity level is set up properly. A cheap pedometer can help with this--I seem to be lightly active most days instead of sedentary like I thought.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry yet. I'm also 5'2", 56 and weigh 115 lbs. My maintenance budget is around 1500 so it will probably even out over the next few weeks. You lose a lot of water the first couple weeks then your body gets down to business.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    115? Wow. Wondering what your bone size is. I would call mine Medium.

I keep reading that if you cut your calorie intake drastically, your metabolism will slow down, and your body will quickly store fat. However, I believe I cut my calories in half. I was probably eating 3000, and I went down to 1500. This phenomenon doesn't seem to be happening to me, luckily.

Not sure how much water weight I could have had. A few years ago when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I quickly dropped about 12 pounds of water, but I don't have that problem anymore.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't place too much stock in the whole "big boned" theory. The average human skeleton varies so little from person to person (based on height and sex) that it really isn't an issue when it comes to weight.

Most of the junk you read about metabolism, starvation mode, fat storage, etc is garbage. You have to severely under eat (500 calories/day) for many months to see any big changes to metabolism. If you're eating a nutritious 1500 you'll be just fine.

If you don't want to have lose, flabby parts with weight loss, the best thing to do is start weight training. Get all your muscles working and supporting your body. It not only makes you look better but muscle burns more calories to maintain itself than fat does so it will increase your metabolism slightly if you have more lean body mass.
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I like to call myself "big boned" but, my doctor reminded me "bones dont jiggle"
  • new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I like to call myself "big boned" but, my doctor reminded me "bones dont jiggle"

I literally LOL'd
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    water weight.... if you were doing a proper strength training regimen you could gauge your loss by your lifting... if your strength goes down you're probably losing too fast.

ETA: strength and energy are not one in the same..
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I lost 16 lbs in one month when I first started. The weight loss slowed down after that (I'm in my 8th month now). I've always heard that at the beginning your weight will come off quickly and gradually slow down. You also do lose a bit of water weight as well. Just keep doing what you are doing. Good luck!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have been doing strength training. Trying to do three times/week. Been using mostly machines, but attempting to switch over the the 5x5 program.

I guess at this point I will continue with the 1500 calories. Thank you all for your advice.