1500 cal/day and still hungry :-(

Options

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    So I increased my calories to 1500/day (which I always eat all of) and It seems that I am still hungry all the time! I typically eat weight control oatmeal for breakfast with skim milk and I am still hungry! Any ideaS??
    If that oatmeal is one of the little packets, try real oats from the canister. Cheaper, you can eat a lot more for the same cals, and you can add your own stuff. I find it a lot more filling. I like steel cut too but they take longer to cook.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    you're eating a lot of processed white stuff. that tends to break down really fast and leave you hungry faster. Try whole grains instead of white.

maybe scrambled egg whites for breakfast for the protein boost.

processed lunch meat also tends to have a lot of fillers, you might find yourself more satisfied with a little more food and less calories going with whole meats instead of lunch meat.

highly processed food has a ton of calories for very little substance.
  • missyont
    Options
    Try eating more often and choose low calorie and healthy options. If you chop up an entire cucumber and eat it your belly is going to be full. 20 cals! Also you can eat more to satisfy your stomach and just workout more too
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Eating is kind of like shopping... get the most bang for your buck and then splurge a little here and there. Try to get the most quantity of food for the number of calories per serving... and then have your pretzels or ice cream or whatever you want if you have the calories left for it.

I like this. It's harder to give into a splurge if you look at your calories like a budget for food.
    OP I haven't looked at your diary but protein and fiber probably need to be higher to help you out. And like someone else said I think, make sure you are getting the right amount of calories for you-your current weight, height, activity level. If you are doing exercise make sure you eat some of those back or use TDEE to account for your exercise.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Here is a question you may not be sure of the answer... Are you hungry? Or do you "just" feel like eating? I used to think that a belly that wasn't full = hunger. I used to think that wanting to eat = hunger. Now I know that's not true. I know that after consuming a few hundred nutritious calories my body has the fuel it needs for the next few hours. I know it in my head even if I'm craving food, I'm not hungry, I just want to eat and that's not the same. I think this is one of the biggest lessons some of us need to learn. Of course, you need to make sure 1500 is the right amount for you, but if the math gives you that number, it's probably appropriate.

Ok so, some strategies for making it work. As many have said, protein in every meal and snack...but don't forget about healthy fats. Fats make us feel satisfied, so think about adding nuts, nut butters, avocado to your diet. Yes, they have more calories than lower fat options, but they satisfy us. Also, lots of veggies in a rainbow of colors. This will ensure that your body is getting the vitamins and minerals it needs and for me, reduces overall cravings and munchies (plus you can eat lots of them).

Lastly, that BS about eating only 3 meals a day? Yeah, well, I'm down 110 pounds and I eat 6 times a day so, yeah. Not true. Eat when and how often feels right for you.
  • LauraElectric
    LauraElectric Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    5-6 mini meals make you fat. My father is biochemist. If stomach full calories dont burn
    If u think im a joke, or not real, imagine Im euro style. Turns out its a fact idiot,
    im croatia, now at north america. So my tastes, info, and thoughts have backing. Enjoy life my man.

Whoa.

What you state is not fact. Eating 5-6 mini meals does not make you fat unless you eat more calories than what you burn.

Science say no. Turns out its a fact.
    im croatia, now at north america. So my tastes, info, and thoughts have backing. Enjoy life my man.

Turns out, you're hilarious, man.
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Protein, and make sure you're eating the right fat from the right sources! Fat is important...it's amazing how filling 25 almonds are! Good luck!
  • sandrop329
    sandrop329 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My thought on hunger control will probably be a little unpopular. I have tried and really don't like the 5-6 little meals thing. I always feel unsatisfied after every meal like I never got actully full. So I'm constantly walking around with this hunger and it just gets worse the further away from "meal time." 3 meals a day works best for me. Sometimes the calories are spread evenly through the day and sometimes breakfast is the biggest meal. Usually when breakfast is big I hardly have room for lunch!

I try to focus on getting approx 1 gram or protein per pound of body weight and this is GREAT at keeping me full, also keeps my calories under control. Filling up on a bunch of junk wheat and oats that run through your system too fast and don't keep you full is a sure way of feeling hungry most of the time.

Cashews and water are a great hunger killer. Cottage cheese and a piece a fruit is a great breakfast, also eat a couple of eggs. Take a look at my diary if you want, you may get some ideas to help you along.

Good luck!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    You protein is way to low, up that and it will help you not feel hungry. Also by keeping your protein low you will lose muscle instead of fat not what most people are here for.

Carbs = craving more foods, always hungry
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Instead of having 3 big meals, I have 5-6 mini meals per day. I find that eating every couple of hours keeps me from being hungry all the time.

Oatmeal is a great choice, I also like to snack on fruits and veggies and try to get in lots of protein as well.

5-6 mini meals make you fat. My father is biochemist. If stomach full calories dont burn
    If u think im a joke, or not real, imagine Im euro style. Turns out its a fact idiot,

Why are you so hostile?
    Awesome your freaking dad is a biochemist, kudos to him. But 5-6 small meals, within your calorie limit does not make you fat. Eating ABOVE your TDEE.....does!
  • verbatima
    Options
    Breakfast like a king
    Lunch like a prince
    Dinner like a pauper

Or as the equivalent Russian saying goes: "Eat your breakfast alone, share your lunch with a friend, and give your dinner to your enemy."

To answer the OP's question, I use several techniques to combat cravings:

1. If you are really-really hungry, wait an hour. Just give yourself that much time. I find that simply waiting a little takes the edge off.

2. Delay breakfast if you can. I know from personal experience it can be really hard. (I get up at 5 a.m. Yikes!) But if you can swing it, eating breakfast at, say 9:30 a.m. as opposed to 7:30 can help you with hunger later on.

3. Re-examine what you are eating. It's not the same for everyone, but for me, sugars are Enemy No. 1. Sugar intensifies my hunger, so I am very meticulous in cutting it out whereever I can. (I still eat complex carbs, such as oatmeal, in small amounts, but I stay away from sweet stuff.) You mentioned that you eat your oatmeal with skim milk. I avoid skim milk because it has a much higher sugar content than whole milk. (In general: both fat and sugar improve taste. So when manufacturers create low-calorie versions of certain foods by reducing the fat content, they typically make up for the loss of taste by upping the sugar. That's why almost all low-fat salad dressings tend to be somewhat sweet. Just something to keep in mind concerning all diet foods, not just skim milk.) Maybe that's your culprit. Do an experiment: eat a different breakfast one morning with roughly the same amount of calories, but one that doesn't contain significant sugar, and see what happens.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So I increased my calories to 1500/day (which I always eat all of) and It seems that I am still hungry all the time! I typically eat weight control oatmeal for breakfast with skim milk and I am still hungry! Any ideaS??

Switch to plain oatmeal and stir in a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, for breakfast. The protein will help you feel full and stay that way. If you need some sweetness add a little honey or fruit.
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If 5 mini meals make you fat, then how did I lose 53 lbs doing just that.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I end up hungry all day if I eat a lot of carbs first thing.
    The only thing that works for me is to eat a no-carb breakfast (typically a hard-boiled egg, or some leftover meat), then a small snack (like an apple or something) at mid-morning. If I do that I can get through the rest of the day OK.

Eating 5 or 6 meals a day just makes me hungrier.
  • smashyourtvdinner
    Options
    Less packaged foods and definitely more fiber/protein. I took a quick look at your diary and it seems that you are relying a lot on processed 'to-go' meals. I would suggest more whole foods, such as nuts, fruits, vegetables, along with a mix of whole grains and protein. I have noticed that they are much more satiating. Best of luck!
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Scottaworley: Croatia rocks. But you are wrong about that small meal thing.

i am right. america fat. imagine i am euro style

I guess because I'm Italian I'm bound to be 4'3, morbidly obese yet fabulously well dressed and hairy with a heart attack headed my way around 40, right? Croatians, as a whole, may have a healthier diet than Americans, as a whole. But these standards don't really count when you're on a forum filled with people who are doing everything they can to lose weight. If 5 to 6 meals a day works, great, if 3 meals works, awesome, if 1 meal works, woo! less work! but in the end it really doesn't matter. If you are getting a good amount of calories to stay alive and losing weight who cares how its divided up? It really makes no difference except to that particular person, and can be easily altered by changing what is comprising their calories - regardless of if they eat 5 meals a day, or 3. Infact, your whole argument over how many meals a day is completely irrelevant. How many calories PER meal PER day would be more suiting; and Croatian cuisine, my friend, doesn't look to be exactly the picture of perfect health. Try again when you're African with a nutritionist father (since our parents occupations determine our knowledge of things in life), maybe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_cuisine
  • LaGraceAnna
    Options
    use semi skimmed or full fat as the fats are good for you in moderation and eating fat keeps your body burning fat which will include body fat. the caloric increase isn't that much but you'll feel a lot more satisfied.
  • _Rogue
    _Rogue Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Start by meeting your current macros...especially your protein goal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

what.

My father is biochemist. Its a fact.
    Enjoy life my man.

It doesn't really matter what your father is. The body burns calories ALL THE TIME. 24 hours a day, every day, until you die. Food in the stomach is not available for energy (food must be digested before it can be used as energy). If you burn more calories than have been consumed, your body will dip into it's reserve fat stores for energy.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    My thought on hunger control will probably be a little unpopular. I have tried and really don't like the 5-6 little meals thing. I always feel unsatisfied after every meal like I never got actully full. So I'm constantly walking around with this hunger and it just gets worse the further away from "meal time." 3 meals a day works best for me. Sometimes the calories are spread evenly through the day and sometimes breakfast is the biggest meal. Usually when breakfast is big I hardly have room for lunch!

I try to focus on getting approx 1 gram or protein per pound of body weight and this is GREAT at keeping me full, also keeps my calories under control. Filling up on a bunch of junk wheat and oats that run through your system too fast and don't keep you full is a sure way of feeling hungry most of the time.

Cashews and water are a great hunger killer. Cottage cheese and a piece a fruit is a great breakfast, also eat a couple of eggs. Take a look at my diary if you want, you may get some ideas to help you along.

Good luck!

I don't think your take should be unpopular. You found what works for you. Some people do better with 5-6 small meals, some people do better on 3 bigger meals. (What most of us are having issue with is the poster saying 5-6 small meals don't work because of his dad's profession … or something like that :ohwell: )