My most recent NSV: PUshups!

Options
Reza151
Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
My gym has a challenge board: A trainer times you to see how many of each of the following exercises you can do in a minute: Pushup, pull-up, burpee. I did 35 pushups, 20 pull-ups (to be fair, the trainer had to hold my legs since I can only do 1 unassisted), and 15 burpees.

Mind you those pushups were with my knees UNBENT and I normally do 3 sets of 20, with a brief rest period in between sets! I'm hoping to be strong enough eventually to be able to do at least 5 pull-ups unassisted. I just found it funny when the trainer said "You can bend your knees, you know" and I said "Nah, I don't do them with my knees bent". His response: "Well, you won't get any extra credit for having them straight lol!"

Replies

• jck125
    jck125 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You rock!!!
  • Reza151
    Options
  • catarata1
    catarata1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nice! I'm still trying to get to ONE pushup, and pull ups are still a dream! That's incredible that you can do so many. Great work!
  • Reza151
    Options
    Pushups are easy enough if you start out with the bent knee ones. A few years ago, I started with 3 sets of 15 bent knee pushups and eventually worked my way up to 3 sets of 10 straight legged, 15, and then 20. I thought I would only maybe be able to do a max of 25 in a row last night but it helps to have a good trainer:)
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    Great job :) Keep this up and you'll be banging out pull-ups in no time. And if you enjoy pushup challenges, may I recommend mastering clap pushups next!

This reminds me to test my pushup max which I haven't done in months...hmmmm...
  • Reza151
    Options
    Great job :) Keep this up and you'll be banging out pull-ups in no time. And if you enjoy pushup challenges, may I recommend mastering clap pushups next!

Tips on mastering pull-ups? I do negatives but they're already a hassle since I have to jump up to reach the bar in the first place:grumble:

I'm going to try the clap pushups when I get to the gym tomorrow (today's my rest day). THanks for the idea!
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! It's one of my goals to do at least one push-up with straight legs. 35 ist just beyond my wildest dreams :laugh:
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! I would kill to be able to do a single pull up. I am going to state working on my back/lat muscles more so that hopefully I will be able to do one some day.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    yaaaay! One night we had to do about a hundred w/ a rep countdown... started with 15, then do something else, then 14, then do something else... I think we made it all the way down to 3. It was moider! :sick: But did get easier the more we did... kinda.

Great job!
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options

Tips on mastering pull-ups? I do negatives but they're already a hassle since I have to jump up to reach the bar in the first place:grumble:

I'm going to try the clap pushups when I get to the gym tomorrow (today's my rest day). THanks for the idea!

Negatives are a very important tool in learning pull-ups. Definitely keep doing them!! Is there maybe a stool or a step that you can use to help yourself reach the bar? The pull-up bars at my gym are all ridiculously high, too....made for giants or something!! I got myself one of those home door frame pull-up bars instead. That way you can use a chair to get up there and do your negatives.
  • Reza151
    Options

Negatives are a very important tool in learning pull-ups. Definitely keep doing them!! Is there maybe a stool or a step that you can use to help yourself reach the bar? The pull-up bars at my gym are all ridiculously high, too....made for giants or something!! I got myself one of those home door frame pull-up bars instead. That way you can use a chair to get up there and do your negatives.

They uesed to have a stool but now the staff doesn't know what happenned to it :grumble: Maybe I'll get a handsome guy to give me a boost ;):laugh: :laugh:
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You're awesome. I can manage a few "real" pushups, but my form is horrible..so I'll stick to bent knee till I can get stronger. I do chin ups and pull ups on my gym's assisted machine. Hoping to work up to unassisted.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!