When

Options
13»

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I've chosen to go through life choosing to believe that everything everyone says to me is a compliment.

Like when someone calls me "wicked" or "stupid" I pretend they're from Boston that that means "awesome."

Or when someone calls me "lazy," I pretend they're from Key West and that it means "relaxed and happy."

Or when someone calls me "oblivious," I pretend I don't hear them.

So far, happiness is in check.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've chosen to go through life choosing to believe that everything everyone says to me is a compliment.

Like when someone calls me "wicked" or "stupid" I pretend they're from Boston that that means "awesome."

Or when someone calls me "lazy," I pretend they're from Key West and that it means "relaxed and happy."

Or when someone calls me "oblivious," I pretend I don't hear them.

So far, happiness is in check.

nice
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Skinny would be an insult to me because it would only ever apply in a facetious fashion...but that's not what you're talking about.

I think people in general need to sack up and build some damn self confidence. You're happy with your body? Great. Don't cut other people down to make yourself feel superior. You're unhappy with your body? Fine, work on it. Don't cut other people down to make yourself feel less terrible.

And if someone is insulting you, remember that they suck at life and are probably terrible in bed.
    Exactly. If you want to feel superior, do hip thrusts, slam weights down, and swear at people in youtube videos.
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    What I've noticed is that skinny is used in the wrong context. People call me skinny but I'm not, I'm fit. Taylor Swift's *kitten* is skinny.
    I'm also fit, but you won't see a ton of muscle definition.

Again, what does "fit" mean?

The definition of fit is different for everyone. For me, it's being toned, not jiggling when I run, and eating healthy just to name a few...
    OK. So you're saying anyone who doesn't describe your appearance as "fit" lacks vocabulary. But their definition might be different from yours.

Skinny is a pretty easy catch-all. It mostly means "not fat."

I said MAYBE they lack a vast vocabulary.

Also that is my definition of fit. You might have a different view of what fit is. That's fine.

Another thing, I don't look for others to describe my appearance. If someone did comment on my appearance, then who cares. It's their opinion. I'm happy with me no matter what someone else says...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What I've noticed is that skinny is used in the wrong context. People call me skinny but I'm not, I'm fit. Taylor Swift's *kitten* is skinny.

Capability of physical and mental performance of specific activities based on goals.
    Fitness or aptitude testing is rather full of a variety of standards. Choose one or make your own.

<<< Navy PRT Excellent
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Capability of physical and mental performance of specific activities based on goals.
    Fitness or aptitude testing is rather full of a variety of standards. Choose one or make your own.

<<< Navy PRT Excellent
    Right.

So using it to describe appearance is rather silly.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Strangers sometimes tell me I'm skinny... I'm not offended because of the word, but because in the real world, when people tell me I'm skinny they always seem to be commenting on my weight out of the blue, with unsolicited opinions and it makes me feel self conscious about my body. Especially if I'm eating or buying food, which is frequently when it happens.

Some other people probably have this association as well.

Edit: Typo!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Strangers sometimes tell me I'm skinny... I'm not offended because of the word, but because in the real world, when people tell me I'm skinny they always seem to be commenting on my weight out of the blue, with unsolicited opinions and it makes me feel self conscious about my body. Especially if I'm eating or buying food, which is frequently when it happens.

What kind of food are you buying? Are they commenting on how small you are in relation to what you appear to eat? I think that might bring out the comment.

If you're buying a bunch of cookies or something, the comment comes from, "Wow! Look at how skinny she is even though she eats that stuff!"

If it's healthier food, it's, "Look at what dedication she has and it's paid off!"
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

What kind of food are you buying? Are they commenting on how small you are in relation to what you appear to eat? I think that might bring out the comment.

If you're buying a bunch of cookies or something, the comment comes from, "Wow! Look at how skinny she is even though she eats that stuff!"

If it's healthier food, it's, "Look at what dedication she has and it's paid off!"

Both! No one ever means it as a negative thing, so it doesn't offend me. But it just makes me feel self conscious that attention is being drawn to it, since I'm just minding my own business. And I realize that many people would LOVE to have that happen, but it always makes me uncomfortable.
  • rml_16
    Options

Both! No one ever means it as a negative thing, so it doesn't offend me. But it just makes me feel self conscious that attention is being drawn to it, since I'm just minding my own business. And I realize that many people would LOVE to have that happen, but it always makes me uncomfortable.
    Understandable.
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anyone get offended by being called skinny. What crazy world is this?
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I dont care what people call me..Everyone has a different idea about how a person should look or what is perfect. I still appear fat/plump to some people, normal to some and few more have recommended that i actually gain some weight!
    So as long as people dont call me bad words/ugly/whatever , i really take it in my stride, smile and move on.
    :drinker: