How bad is it to eat your exercise calories?

Options
How bad is it to eat your exercise calories? Today, I'm gonna go over with my calories if I don't exercise. So, I feel bad, I thought you weren't supposed to eat over your calorie limit and now today I will be. What's your thought on this? Trying to lose weight is such a tricky progress.:blushing:

Replies

• kristinksmith
    kristinksmith Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It looks like you set a 1200 calorie goal. This is the minimum you should eat each day. If you exercise, you should eat back those calories you burn or you will not be giving yourself enough fuel. I do not think you are eating enough to cover the amount of exercise you do each day. I had set my calories to 1200 plus eating back exercise calories. While I lost at the beginning, as I began to exercise more I also stalled out with my weight loss for almost two months. For the last two weeks, I increased my goal to 1500 plus eating exercise and have dropped almost 2 pounds. I also don't stress as much about how much I am eating and feel way more satisfied!

I am using the TDEE-20% method. There are a lot of great posts on here about doing it. I calculated it both by looking back at my food/exercise diary as well as using the various online calculators and they were pretty consistent across the board. Good luck!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify... MFP expects... even intends for you to eat back your exercise calories. Your deficit should be from your net calories... not total calories. Net calories means Calories taken in through food (food on the diary page) minus your exercise calories (exercise on the diary page.

it should say something like Goal (for me it's 3509) Food (currently I'm at 1886) - exercise (currently at 401) = Net (currently 1485)

As you can see... my net is 1485.

With my goal at 3509 minus my net of 1485 I can still eat 2024 calories today.

Hopefully that explains a little.
  • Aim4skinnyjeans
    Aim4skinnyjeans Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to me:-)