Starving after Work

Options
Am I the only one? I can eat great all day but when I get home from work I am always starving and craving cookies, and chips. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas on how I can curb this?

Replies

• julianadelbosque
    Options
    Can you eat an apple or something that will tide you over until dinner? I think the most important thing is planning what you will eat if you know you will be starving. When I have days that I'm out of the house from 8am - 8pm, I preplan the crap out of my day because if I don't bring enough food with me, I know I will cave and buy something unhealthy that I will regret eating.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Either eat a filling high protein snack, like a handful of nuts before walk in the door, or keep a bowl full of chopped veggies to pick on while you make dinner, go thru the mail, etc etc. It helps me. Being ravenous when you get home is NOT good :)
  • llw1013
    llw1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That is my hardest time! I will often just make dinner at 4:30 pm as soon as I get home.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I usually have dinner right when I get home too around 4:30 -5:00 if I'm starving. then go for my walk. other days I get home, go for my walk, come home shower than make dinner. which is still pretty early. then I have a snack planned for around 8 -9 before bed.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a snack either right before I leave work or in the car on the drive home. I change into my gym clothes and workout after I walk in the door and then make dinner around 30 minutes after. If I skip that snack though, I am ravenous!!!
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was/am like that... It didn't really get any better until I did something about it - i.e. got into the habit of making the first thing I even think about going near when I get home is a huge, filling serving of veggies and greens and a protein. My tummy protested the first week or two, still whining for something junky even after a filling dinner, but I soon learned to distinguish habit cravings from true hunger and also to recognize the feeling of satiety.

I also always leave enough calories for a treat/dessert later on so it helps to know I will be having something a little yummier in a couple hours. Definitely a mind over matter situation for me.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Trail mix, or string cheese and fruit, or a dollop of PB, or a protein snack bar.

I also like a piece of toast w/butter as a hunger curb as well
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat something about an hour before you leave work so when you get home you're not so hungry and wanting to eat a bunch of junk. You could bring a banana, Clif Bar, protein bar, some nuts, or anything like that that is healthy and will hold you over until dinner.

Here's my usual schedule and I'm rarely hungry throughout the day:

7:00 am - breakfast
    11:30 am - lunch
    3:30 pm - snack (banana, Clif Bar, homemade protein bar, etc)
    6:00 pm - dinner
    9:30 pm - snack (yogurt, string cheese, cottage cheese, etc)

I think if you add something in between lunch and dinner that doesn't have a ton of calories it'll hold you over until you get home and can eat dinner.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If my day is going to be a fail, that is usually way. I'm too hungry when I get home and I go crazy. :sad: I probably should have something healthy nearby to keep me occupied.
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yea, I am always starving, too. I have a good snack; apple & string cheese, low fat greek yogurt with oatmeal, skinny wrap and laughing cow. If I don't, I eat a ton of crap! I love the idea of eating it in the car; I am stealing that!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we are hungry out of habit. You associate coming home with eating dinner, relaxing and de-stressing. I can feel fine at work, and the moment I get home I am ravenous. Try to make a new habit when you get home so food isn't the first order of business.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later! :)
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This has always been my worst time of the day. I have found that having a low calorie higher protein item like greek yogurt or high protein bar seems to be satisfying and helps tide me over until dinner time. Also gives me energy for a workout before dinner.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I'm really hungry and I'm eating every 4 hrs or so, then I'm not getting enough protein. Something that gives me 8-10 grams of protein usually does the trick and keeps me from grabbing the first calorie-dense thing when I want in my door. Try some cheese,peanut butter, some almonds, a protein bar, etc.
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I keep an apple and a couple of rice cakes in my car, and munch while i'm driving home...
    that way, when I walk into the house, I am not in the raging hunger mode..
  • OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, I'm going to see if packing a snack for the car ride home does the trick.