Controversial - VLCDs and Lighter life

Options

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments :)

I did a lot of research before starting and it was a genuine last resort before surgery for me. I lost weight very fast the first two months and it has slowed down now to a more normal rate. I weighed up the risks and decided that I just couldn't face being the way I was any more.

I have a counsellor but she very much just ignores any questions and concerns I have that might be negative towards the program? Going to ask the GP is a great idea, am going to do that.

What has changed is, after the space from food I now mentally feel like I could have another go at losing while eating. Genuinely. But am I just being overly hopeful?

WAIT, so you're NOT under a doctor's care for this?

W.O.W.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What has changed is, after the space from food I now mentally feel like I could have another go at losing while eating. Genuinely. But am I just being overly hopeful?

Not necessarily. The one thing that impressed me from the WebMD article is the group couseling to determine why you overeat. Perhaps that has helped. Buf, once you go off, if you find yourself struggliing reach out to another counselor.

Best of luck to you.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Why don't you ask that local support group? I mean, that's part of what they're there for, right?

Exactly.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Losing the weight that quick from an unsustainable approach is not going to teach you ways to keep the weight off in the long run. Instead of dealing with your binge eating issue, you substituted it with a quick fix. You say you have not had real food for a few months, so it might be a good idea to speak to a professional for the re-introduction of real food. If not, your body might flip you the bird.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I suggest reading this:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/56/1/240S.full.pdf

It's full of great info on a study done on VLCD.
    To paraphrase it:
    Anyone <40% overweight or at a BMI ≤ 30 should not be on VLCD. VLCD's are suggeste to be sustained no longer than 12-16 weeks. VLCD programs should be monitored by a physician. VLCD enhances diuresis, electrolyte loss, may disturb acid-based balance, and affect concurrent medical conditions. Non-physician attended VLCD are not adequate, and medical supervision is mandatory.

To be honest, I would suggest talking to your physician about this. He may refer you to a dietician/nutritionist who can help you transition at an appropriate time and in an appropriate manner.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You can do it, many others have done it. You might consider seeing a dietician for ongoing help and support.
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    You should monitor your basal metabolic rate through a special test find out your body fat % regularly to make sure you are gaining muscle and losing fat from now on
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    When you started out you had a huge amount to lose and the benefits of losing quickly probably outweighed the risks as your health was probably suffering. Well done on your loss so far.

However I would definitely recommend transitioning to a more sustainable plan now, aiming to lose around 1lb per week. Consult your GP and ask to be referred to a dietitian who can set you on a healthy, long term plan and hopefully help you address some of your food relationship issues to help prevent you going back to square one.

I would not trust taking advice from the Lighter Life advisors as naturally they'd want you to stay with them as you're paying their wages.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What I am asking is, when should I come off? When I am at goal? After goal to make space for glycogen stores? Now and try losing naturally? I am terrified that this goes on forever because I can't see an end to it.

I think that's something you need to be asking your LL counsellor, as they will be the ones most familiar with what you are doing. I suspect there will be a goal weight at which you start to taper your eating upwards, but I don't know for sure.
  • becktacular90
    becktacular90 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks :D

I think the concern I had about waiting til "goal" is that it might actually take months and months... a VLCD for a year?! Doesn't sound like the best thing to do.

Dietician and doctor are definite avenues to explore, and medical advice is the best way to go at the moment I think.

:)
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    have you suffered any serious side effects? I work in health care and many of my colleagues are very adverse to LL. I have heard many negative comments, in particular that they know people who have done this diet and all their hair fell out and that their health became poor and compromised and that it is worrying and that they are concerned that people experienced water retentionin to the face and legs.

Consult you GP / doctor, it does not suit every one...

take care..
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Op - I have done Lighter Life myself for 4 months so I feel qualified to give you an opinion it. My opinion is this:

Please be very, very careful

Like you, I shed weight easily and hit their predicted 1 stone (14lbs) a month loss and ended up losing around 60lbs. I got a rubber stamp from a local, mostly disinterested, doctor to enable me to start the program.

I came off it because I was starting to feel a total lack of energy, getting muscle pains and generally being not quite 'right'. I had a blood test to screen for various things and the result was that my red blood cell magnesium and my B12 levels were rock bottom. I then actually had to a course of injections in the butt to right things and I was told in no uncertain terms to stop the VLCD and go on a more sustainable diet.

I also put all the weight back on (and more) within a year because LL didn't teach me to eat healthily or normally, it simply taught me to stop eating full stop with the exception of those powdered soups and awful bars they sell you.

If your local group leader isn't answering your questions then you really need to ask yourself why. I can tell you why (it's because they're totally centred on their commission and cramming a load of pseudo NLP and CBT stuff down your neck) but you need to find out yourself. By the way, have you asked how any of her previous clients are doing 2-5 years down the line? Because that's the measure of success - not the initial loss and meeting goals, but keeping it off for 5 years.

Anyway, your group leader should be helping you to determine when to come off and if she doesn't, phone up LL and tell them the support isn't up to scratch. Also, of course, talk to your doctor!
  • watcheronthewall
    Options
    If your local group leader isn't answering your questions then you really need to ask yourself why. I can tell you why (it's because they're totally centred on their commission and cramming a load of pseudo NLP and CBT stuff down your neck) but you need to find out yourself. By the way, have you asked how any of her previous clients are doing 2-5 years down the line? Because that's the measure of success - not the initial loss and meeting goals, but keeping it off for 5 years.

You hit the nail on the head. These people are clueless *kitten*. Thats mine and most other peoples experience.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on taking steps to make changes in your life and for the extreme progress that you have made so far.

You are actually getting some great advice in this discussion.

I'm not familiar with the Lighter Life program but I have had previous experience with another VLCD program.

Had good success losing WHILE ON THE PROGRAM on that plan but, unfortunately, the problems came when I eventually could not take eating the prepackaged meal plans and shakes any longer and tried to get back in to eating real food. Had lost around 60-70 pounds while on the program but, like many/most of us who tried these plans, I ended up gaining all of those pounds back again (plus a few more as well) in probably 7 or 8 months after stopping the program.

The problem is that while on the VLCD program I never did learn how to eat properly in any meaningful way that was sustainable for me in the long term.

I'm owning up to that myself, however I also feel that most/all of these VLCD programs are also culpable as their emphasis is not really on that aspect of the issue. Let's face it, they are a business. As long as we all keep the mindset that we are powerless to do this on our own without the magic VLCD shakes or meals then they are raking in the $$$$.

Finally smartened up at the beginning of 2013 and am now doing this the right way from here on out.

MFP has been a godsend to me on that front as it has helped me realize that there is no magic to this at all. It is simply just math + patience + consistency.

As long as calories expended is consistently greater than calories consumed then the results will be positive over a REALISTIC amount of time. I emphasize REALISTIC as the pound ticker is now going down at 1 to 2 pounds a week and not the 5 to 7 pounds a week that it was dropping while on the VLCD.

I am totally cool with that slower pace, however, as I realize now that this is a completely sustainable lifestyle change that I have now made and not a short term diet.

With MFP's help in counting/tracking/logging calories over these past 9 months I feel that I am actually learning how to eat properly for the first time in my adult life.

The good news is that I don't have to be doing it while eating shakes and pre-packaged meals that I can't stand but that I am actually eating pretty much all of the real foods that I have loved in the past but felt that I would have to banish in order to lose and maintain weight.

With that said, my advice to you would be to be thankful for the extreme amount of weight that you have lost so far on the VCLD program but start to transition yourself out of program and work on maintaining a moderate caloric deficit while moving over to real food.

Realize that this will mean adjusting your expectations down in to the 1 to 2 pound loss a week realm rather than the higher numbers that you have become accustomed to.

There will also, no doubt, be weeks where you don't lose anything and event times where you might gain a pound or two.

Don't let that scare you or cause you alarm.

Just stay consistent and you will get to your ultimate goal in due time. Might take you another year or more to lose that next 100 pounds, but you are young and this is a long-term lifestyle change not a race.

Totally know that you can do this and am wishing you the best.
  • pauljsaunders
    Options
    I've just been to a web site and this is what they added in for side effects:

Surely there must be some side effects?
    Yes! Very low calorie diets (VLCDs) cause fat to be broken down rapidly, producing a by-product called ketones. These can result in tiredness, weakness, dizziness, insomnia and nausea. However, these effects should be short lived and there’s even some evidence that ketones help to suppress appetite and actually promote a feeling of wellbeing.

Meanwhile, constipation, diarrhoea, dry skin, hair loss, menstrual changes and intolerance to the cold can also occur.

Losing weight rapidly also means you’ll be more likely to be left with loose, saggy skin – quite simply, your skin doesn’t have time to shrink to your new body shape. Usually, the only effective treatment for this is surgery to remove the excess skin.

Also according to the National Obesity Forum, there are some more serious side effects of VLCDs, including the development of gout, gallstones and cardiac disturbances. In particular, the risk of gallstones increases when people lose more than 1.5kg (3.3lb) a week.

Give careful thought about this diet...
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi OP! It is so hard when you are in a difficult spiralling out of control binge eating pattern and have loads of weight to lose!! Then along comes lighter life to offer a miraculous cure. I have had several colleagues who have followed lighter life and all but one of them have put all the weight on (and more!) after coming off the diet. Indeed one friend has been on it 3 times...cant imagine what it is doing to her body...she seems to spend 6 months on the programme losing followed by the next 6 months gaining!! Anyway, she has finally decided to abandone it and use slimming world as a means to weight loss instead. I think that if you abandon the programme early you MUST have a sure fire method in place so that you DONT spiral upwards again..because I am sure that would probably demoralise you. Good luck in your quest for a healthier you AND learning about food again :-)
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on the progress so far!

While I haven't done VLCD's, a friend has and you might want to check out her website here:

http://xhelensarahx.com/mystory

She kicked off major weight loss with a similar VLCD, moved to low fat, high carb vegetarian and then discovered the Keto (high fat, moderate protein, low carb) way of eating was the best fit for her.

Which is what it will come down to - finding the way of eating that is sustainable and fits in with your life best.

:drinker:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Ok, am I really reading this right? you average losing 9 pounds a WEEK?

I understand the bingeing and you wanted to go liquid, because food was a trigger, but this seems very dangerous to me... 9 pounds a week is literally unheard of, unless I am reading the numbers wrong? I mean, if it worked great, but I don't see how you can go back to eating regular food now without gaining it back (maybe not all of it, but at least half of it.)

If you were worried it would have screwed up your metabolism in the long run, maybe you should have done more research before starting. That's my opinion.

Yes, please confirm your numbers. Average loss of more than 9 lbs per week for 16 weeks sounds like science fiction.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I have been doing the Lighterlife diet now for 16 weeks and have lost 147lbs. I do NOT want criticism of my plan please. I chose to lose weight this way because I couldn't do it alone and it was the only support group local to me at the time. I still have at least another 133lbs to lose, and am planning on continuing on the LighterLife plan for a while yet.

What I am asking is, when should I come off? When I am at goal? After goal to make space for glycogen stores? Now and try losing naturally? I am terrified that this goes on forever because I can't see an end to it.

Positive advice, support and friendship would be much appreciated - remember, everyone does things differently!

Let me get this straight. You have lost 147 pounds in 16 weeks? So, like, more than 9 pounds a week? To lose 9 pounds a week tou have to eat at a 4500cal/day deficit. And you have another AT LEAST 133 to go. (Which makes your total needed to lose a suspiciously even 280 pounds.) Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't believe you.
  • becktacular90
    becktacular90 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Wow, you don't believe me? My total is so rounded because I chose to lose an even 20st, i could lose 22 or 23 and probably still be overweight. I have pictures up. You can check. And my weightloss is accurate, yes.
This discussion has been closed.