Anybody else out there that skips breakfast?

Options
I know they say this is the most important meal of the day but....Frankly, I am not hungry in the morning, and feel like i would be forcing myself to eat something. However, I can not sleep without eating a small bowl of raisin bran, or multigrain cheerio's with FF milk before bed. I just consider it a really early breakfast since im skipping it anyway.

Anybody else do something similar?

Replies

• epz1157
    epz1157 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    yea, only when i wake up at 6 am for a trail run. Only a glass of water does it for me
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I skip on weekends quite often. I usually don't get to the bike trail till around 10am, and by the time I'm done it is usually time for lunch. Sometimes I will eat a Clif Bar or something before a long ride if I am starving, but usually weight till after. I almost always eat breakfast during the week, but we have a cafeteria at work with lots of healthy options so I usually eat.

I don't think it really matters when you eat though. I eat breakfast because I like breakfast. If I wasn't hungry, I wouldn't.
  • colourofplum
    Options
    Me too! I love a good bowl of cereal in the evening. I recommend http://rudehealth.com/our-food/muesli/just-nuts/ . It is so filling!

I feel that when I eat in the morning I get tired, especially from carbohydrates! However i have heard that you must pop something in your mouth to start your metabolism. I'm not sure if its true, so I eat several sunflower seeds and I drink herbal tea. Its lovely to drink something warm in the morning right when I wake up because its like running a kettle over a a greasy pan, for example. I cleanses me and I find it much more nicer than cold water, which I feel, freezes fat in my intestines ectect.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I can't even stand the smell of food in the morning. Some of us just don't have tummies that wake up until late morning lol.
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I tend to sleep in til 9 or 10am most days and stay up late at night, so yes, I normally just have coffee in the morning, then lunch around 1pm. This works for me too, because I've recently taken up intermittent fasting. I try to eat only btwn 1pm-8pm, give or take.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long one has to wait after rising before it's no longer considered "breakfast, but eating first thing in the morning causes me to be hungry all day long. I wait till I'm hungry, then I start eating. That's usually around 1-2 p.m.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Breakfast as we have come to define it is a strictly modern invention. There is no biological imperative to consume it. If not eating it works for you, it works for you, and it's not that uncommon, many of us go without a normal breakfast, or delay breakfast until closer to lunch.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have tried drinking water before bed, ive tried fruit, vegies, but for some reason my stomach is not content unless i eat a small bowl (2 servings) of raisin bran or multigrain cheerios. I have tried other cereals but those seem to fill me up the most.

I also eat a late lunch (1-3pm) and its usually a hard boiled egg sliced ontop pumpernickle/rye swirl toast with alittle cracked sea salt. Its a small meal probably 200 cal max, but i prefer to eat a nice size dinner. What i found out over the years is that no matter how many "small meals" I eat during the day, I still want a nice size dinner and that late night cereal snack.
  • sillyblackpony
    Options
    Nope. I have a cup of coffee with some nonfat milk and a bit of flavored creamer, and that's it until around two or so. When I was working horses regularly I WOULD eat breakfast, but mostly because I spent 2-3 hours mucking, then another two to three hours working the horses...no breaks to eat. And then I would only eat a small taco omelet.

I am of the opinion our bodies doesn't keep time like we do, it is working 24/7 regardless if it is 2am or 2pm. If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat. And I notice if I eat in the morning I tend to be hungrier later.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For a while i was buying into the breakfast and metabolism myth. Until recently I was eating 4 small snack sized meals a day, with the middle one being a more 'lunch' sized offering. The problem I found was that I didn't have a whole lot of calories left for dinner. I recently have tried following to the Leangains intermittent fasting protocol though and I must say it's a lot easier. The principal is basically to fast for 16 hours followed by an 8 hour feeding window. In my case that just means skipping breakfast and eat nothing until 1. This way i can eat my full calorie budget between 1 and 9 and have several big filling meals. I think this is going to make life a lot easier.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I also skip breakfast, or rather wait until about 2pm to eat it, but by then I just call it lunch.

If you don't want to eat breakfast, you're fine without it. There is nothing special about a morning meal that makes it any more important than the other meals. Do what works for you, keeping total calories for the day in mind.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Daily. First meal is after 12pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    me. my body does not want food early in a morning. never has and i tried to force breakfast down for a while as people said it was the best thing to do. bleurgh.

just coffee first thing and i usually eat about 11am-12ish.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I recently have tried following to the Leangains intermittent fasting protocol though and I must say it's a lot easier. The principal is basically to fast for 16 hours followed by an 8 hour feeding window. In my case that just means skipping breakfast and eat nothing until 1. This way i can eat my full calorie budget between 1 and 9 and have several big filling meals. I think this is going to make life a lot easier.

This pretty much describes the way I have eaten for 30+ years. Except I never called it a "feeding window". I just called it eating.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Meal timings have zero impact on your weightloss eat when you are hungry. I would often skip breakfast then go to the gym, first "food" use to be my post work out protein shake and it didnt affect my weightloss.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I recently have tried following to the Leangains intermittent fasting protocol though and I must say it's a lot easier. The principal is basically to fast for 16 hours followed by an 8 hour feeding window. In my case that just means skipping breakfast and eat nothing until 1. This way i can eat my full calorie budget between 1 and 9 and have several big filling meals. I think this is going to make life a lot easier.

This pretty much describes the way I have eaten for 30+ years. Except I never called it a "feeding window". I just called it eating.

Haha yea 'feeding window' sounds more like the drive through at Wendy's.

The leangains approach is more than just meal timing, but that aspect of it definitely helps me stick to a calorie budget. I used to be looking at my diary going "ok, I only have 500 calories to spend this evening. Now i'm usually finishing dinner thinking "Ok, i gotta get another 200 calories in before bed"
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    i used to for a while when i started work at 6am. but only for a month or so as i wasnt hungry, then i managed to force down a meal replacement shake just to stop the hunger pangs 1 hour into my shift. i cant bare to go without it
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry a lot throughout the day, including for breakfast, yeah. Then when I'm more hungry I often want a fairly big meal, but it's not a binge. I don't eat when I'm not hungry, unless it's been all day or something. I still want the same sized dinner whether I ate earlier or not!

I do have a protein+carb drink or similar before and after I work out if I haven't eaten yet. Even if I don't feel like it.

I find that I'm hungrier some days than others naturally, and my normal calorie chart when I'm eating healthily goes up and down. I just try to have my big workout days be on the up day, and otherwise it seems like that's just my cycle.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Always have coffee and "maybe" a spoon of peanut butter if I have hunger pangs. The coffee usually takes care of that just fine though.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Eating soon after you wake up gets your metabolism going. I hate eating breakfast and for years I wouldn't, but once I started, it helped with my dieting.