Has anyone bounced back from knee replacement surgery?

Options
I was doing great until three weeks ago when i injured my left knee. I had been dropping in weight about 25 lbs and had increased my daily exercise cycling 10 to 15 miles a day and longer rides on weekends. Unfortunately they are suggesting knee replacement surgery has any out there bounced back from this type of surgery?

Replies

• sloanranger1957
    Options
    Hello, I was wondering the same thing myself. I had a half knee replacement one week ago 20/9/2013. Last Monday I thought, what the hell have I done. This Monday (today) I am walking without my crutches and on the mend. I still have my stitches (clips ) and don't get them out till next Monday. I was very active before my knee op, well as active as I could be with the knee pain. I will keep you posted

Jo x
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Two years ago my mom had a partial knee replacement. While the first week was tough for her, she feels 100 percent better now. The main thing is, you HAVE to do the physio. It was hard (she is not very fit) but she totally credits pushing through that for the way that her knee has healed. Her doctor was very happy with her progress as well. She also said she would not let the physiotherapists hurt her, meaning if there was a lot of pain while doing their exercises, she would tell them and adjust. So I think you have to do your exercises & walk around, even if it's just a couple of laps around the house (she would walk up and down the hall of their bungalow a few times daily to get her knee moving).
  • white510
    white510 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had a total knee replacement 13 1/2 years ago at the age of 36. I bounced right up from it, surgery was horribe, therapy was tough. But if you do what they say and really try, it will be ok. It was the best thing I ever did, it gave me back a life. 3 weeks ago, I did notice a change in mine, but after all the tests and drs visits, looks like my plastic center piece is just worn out. Will be having that piece replaced soon. It will be a quick in and out surgery with very little down time. Dr says its like having a flat tire. Hope this helped.
  • Gillibeech
    Gillibeech Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi be patient and do your exercises! I had full knee replacement 9 years ago! It takes Time to heal! Remember we are all different! And have different experiences!
    It was 9 or 10 months before I felt confident enough t o start training again! I go o he gym 5 or 6 times a week and do body pump , body combat ,step, Zumba Pilates swimming........ Take it slowly! Do your physio exercises to build up some strength and you will soon see how great it is! The outside scar will heal much quite than the inside,so take your time, its great to be pain free and get your life back!
  • SueWelchPersonalTraining
    Options
    I had a PKR in October of 2012 and everyone is right, keep on the PT until your doc gives you a release to the gym. The first three months I was certain that getting my foot run over by a bus would be less painful than that surgery. But it's so much better. It will never function the same as a real knee, but I think that I respect it, I'll be able to work out the way I want to for a good 15-20 years.
  • skheather
    skheather Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have had both knees totally replaced and I am so glad I did it. It does take time...like weeks and even months to get your full leg strength back, but it does work. Just do the physio and be patient. I had one done in 2012 and one in 2013,
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I've never had knee replacement surgery, but a friend of mine did. He prepared for it by getting himself in pretty decent shape prior to the surgery. It helped him tremendously in his recoup.

Just curious-- is the knee replacement surgery recommended because you had injured your knee so severely with your fall a few weeks ago, or were you already experiencing issues with it? (like severe arthritis?) If you hadn't had any issues with it prior to your fall, I suggest getting a second opinion.

Good luck and speedy recovery.