anyone juicing? juice fast?

Options
I keep going up and down and decided that I will start a juice fast today. My goal is to go at least 10 days but I would love to go 30. I don't do well with counting calories and I think I really need to cleanse my system and it hopefully will help my sugar addiction. Is anyone doing a juice fast? I would love to see before and after pictures.

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Post this in the nutrition section, and I hope you have thick skin and an open mind, because you may be in for a bumpy road with the responses.
  • Annaila
    Annaila Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did it for 14 days about a year ago. It helped me figure out some food allergies. I would not suggest it for weight loss. I loss 10 lbs but gained it back the minute I ate food again. I have had more success on MVP counting calories. Good Luck.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Why? 30 days?! Really?

My advice is to just eat less of everything, if you really find counting calories so hard. What's going to happen once you are done, and start eating again?
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Post this in the nutrition section, and I hope you have thick skin and an open mind, because you may be in for a bumpy road with the responses.

^^ Yep, don't let your feelers get hurt..... but the people on this site are probably gonna try and eat you alive.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend going that long, but supplementing a healthy diet with juicing can be helpful. Good luck.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I've tried multiple times, never make it past a couple days. I do juice once a day, usually pre or post workout, put in a little wheatgrass juice powder. I don't know if it really does anything for me, but I feel good about it and I only drink maybe 4oz so it isn't too caloric. My 3 year old loves "tasting" the concoctions and telling me if she likes them or not. She is such a veggie girl, she'll eat or drink anything green!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I keep going up and down and decided that I will start a juice fast today. My goal is to go at least 10 days but I would love to go 30. I don't do well with counting calories and I think I really need to cleanse my system and it hopefully will help my sugar addiction. Is anyone doing a juice fast? I would love to see before and after pictures.

Wait. Counting calories is hard, so you're going to juice your fruits and veggies (potentiality getting rid of the fiber that would help fill you up) and then drink that...without counting the calories in the juice, I presume, to cleans your body of something or other that your liver apparently can't handle, and help with an addiction to sugar (because there is no sugar in fruit or veggies.).

Well.

Good luck.
  • weca
    weca Posts: 7
    Options
    Around 10 yrs ago I be there and do that and wouldn't recommend that to anyone,not even to my enemy. I also thinking how counting is boring and how i cant measure all my food etc etc etc,then i start juice fasting.
    Seriously I go through the hell for 12 days. During the day i have zero energy ,hunger was huge ,cooking for my family was horror. At night i had insomnia,and if i fall a sleep i was dreaming about food, I dream how i eat,well that was nightmare ....
    Hypothermia all the time
    They say how hunger disappears after few days.....not in my case.
    They say how energy is huge and how more alert you become....not in my case.
    I lost 10 kg( 22lbs) yes great result right? well not really i regain 15 lbs in first 7 days and rest and much more in next month.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    If counting is boring and hard why you dont try a portion control? There is example for how many portion of each food group you should eat for every calorie level
    Sorry on my not such good english but i hope you understand my point :) Good luck and take care.
  • JessKrcmar
    JessKrcmar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would agree with others who say juicing is a nice supplement, but not a weight loss solution. I bought my juicer about 8 months ago and had a lot to learn. Juicing does remove a lot of things that are beneficial to your system, number one being fiber that keeps you full and helps regulate your system. Also, it takes a lot of fruit to make a full glass of juice, which adds up to a LOT of sugar. Unless you really like veggie juices (which I'm not a huge fan of), you will be taking in way too much sugar daily. I tried juicing for 3 days and wound up shaky and unable to sleep and going WAY over my recommended MFP sugar levels. Other people I know have done juicing "cleanses" but really all you wind up with is a lot of diarrhea and you gain most, if not all, of the weight back. If you want to switch things up but don't want to count calories, maybe try just a fruit and veggie binge for a week and see how you feel. I know juicing has its benefits but nothing can top the benefits from eating your fruits and veggies, and your system will be regulated enough that you will feel "cleansed". Just my humble opinion. :-) Good luck!
  • lrn2liv
    lrn2liv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im on day 3...going for 30! Good luck, so far i feel fine
    Just miss eating :)
  • Cannonk3
    Cannonk3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been juicing/clean eating for 6 days and so far I Love it! You have to figure out what appeals to you. I generally drink a juice for breakfast and for lunch and supper is a half a sandwich or tuna. Something light. That keeps me from feeling deprived. I take medication and can't rely on juice alone. But if you need a support group you can friend me and I will give you suggestions on combination that has worked for me. Also you may want to look up a website by Joe Cross called rebootingwithjoe.com hope this helps. :-)
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am trying it right now but not a juice fast. I have a veggie (with limited fruit) juice for breakfast, then have a sensible lunch, dinner and snack. Seems to be working so far!
  • MsAkosia
    MsAkosia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes after 2 yrs of procrastination and saving, i finally in invested in a Vitamix 5200 at Costco -

I started today October 1st 2013 for 60 days (round about thanksgiving week). I weigh 156 and want to go down to 125. I am 4 ft 11. I want to loose weight and also stay healthy and fit. I drink at least 16 oz of juice at least 5-6 times a day as i did today (my first day) although i plan on eating a real healthy meal on the weekends.

Today is my 1st day and I made 3 recipes plus a 4th being my kale icecream with a dash of unsalted pistachio in the blend mix. MMM Yummy.

I do 70% green leaf vegetables and 30% fruits to give it the sweetness. I am strictly no sugar, I soak dates in coconut water (take out pits), It becomes thick like honey and thats my sugar.I blend in my vitamix different veggies including kale, spinach, zuchini, cumcumber, carrots, scoop of my Protein powder and flaxeseed. For sweetness apart from the dates, i get sweetness from my fruits like mangoes, peach, oranges, nectarine etc

I BLEND WITH WATER ONLY (NO PROCESSED JUICES WHATSOEVER, even if it saids 100% pure not from concentrate,i know thats a damn lie - I dont want it),

For snack I eat spinach ice cream or kale icecream (just spinach, frozen banana and my 2 tablespoon of home made date sugar for sweetness and 1 cup of my home made almond milk - ALL OF THESE MADE WITH THE VITAMIX).

VITAMIX ROCKS!! I WILL NEVER EVER USE A JUICER, I DID A LOT OF RESEARCH FOR 2 YRS AND THIS VITAMIX IS THE BEST. For all the Juicer users, I bet ya , you can not make vegetable/fruit icecream (spinach ice cream in a juicer can ya? :)

So this is my day 1, will give you update on day 30 and day 60..

ps: I do leslie sansone 2 mile walk every morning (thats only 30 mins) and then 5 mile walk every evening (thats 60 mins only). I will do this 5 times a week. I drink my 1 galllon a day. Cannot live without water - But i notice the juicing is making me drink more water as i noticed today, I drank more than a gallon and obviously used the rest room to pee a lot (but thats okay)

Yall wish me luck. Day 1 with this juicing was excellent. I am not hungry at all. The vegetables smoothies are so filling.

ps: I get all my inspiration for various smoothie recipes from Youtube Vitamix Users - My favourite is this lady i discovered http://www.youtube.com/user/blenditandMendit - I also get different recipes from BlenderBabes and the Vitamix Recipe Manual.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Well I read your profile and am confused possibly....you are 100lbs and want to lose 30lbs?
    The diet you suggest sounds really harsh unless you are grossly overweight....
    As a mommy myself, I think a harsh strict diet is too stressful.
    Juicing is a really great idea to add nutrition and fresh enzymes to your diet. But I think you should eat regular meals, too.
    What do you mean by cleanse....do you mean your gut?
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yes after 2 yrs of procrastination in investing in a Vitamix 5200 - I finally got myself a brand new one at Costco for $374 ($400 incl tax) and i have started a juice only fast (24 hrs a day) - I started today October 1st 2013 for 60 days (round about thanksgiving week). I weigh 156 and want to go down to 125. I am 4 ft 11. I want to loose weight and also stay healthy and fit.

I drink at least 16 oz of juice at least 5-6 times a day as i did today (my first day).

I do 70% green leaf vegetables and 30% fruits to give it the sweetness. I am strictly no sugar, I soak dates in coconut water (take out pits), It becomes thick like honey and thats my sugar.

I blend in my vitamix different veggies including kale, spinach, zuchini, cumcumber, carrots, scoop of my Protein powder and flaxeseed

For sweetness apart from the dates, i get sweetness from my fruits like mangoes, peach, oranges, nectarine etc

I BLEND WITH WATER ONLY (NO PROCESSED JUICES WHATSOEVER, even if it saids 100% pure not from concentrate, thats a damn lie from the pit of hell, I dont want it),

For snack I eat spinach ice cream or kale icecream (just spinach, frozen banana and my 2 tablespoon of home made date sugar and 1 cup of my home made almond milk - ALL OF THESE MADE WITH THE VITAMIX).

VITAMIX ROCKS!! I WILL NEVER EVER USE A JUICER, I DID A LOT OF RESEARCH FOR 2 YRS AND THIS VITAMIX IS THE BEST.

For all the Juicer users, I bet ya , you can not make vegetable/fruit icecream (spinach ice cream in a juicer can ya? :)

So this is my day 1, will give you update on day 30 and day 60..

ps: I do leslie sansone 2 mile walk every morning (thats only 30 mins) and then 5 mile walk every evening (thats 60 mins only). I will do this 5 times a week. I drink my 1 galllon a day. Cannot live without water - But i notice the juicing is making me drink more water as i noticed today, I drank more than a gallon and obviously used the rest room to pee a lot (but thats okay)

Yall wish me luck. Day 1 with this juicing was excellent. I am not hungry at all. The vegetables smoothies are so filling.

Congrats on the purchase. I think you made an awesome choice. Great post. I just going to correct you on a single word. It's not juicing. It is blending. And it's the way to go. I have the same model and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Here is my typical lunch
    * 1 cup of baby organic kale leaves
    * 1 cup of baby organic spinach leaves
    * 1 cup of carrots
    * 1/2 cup of almond milk vanilla/unsweetened.
    * 1/2 honey crisp washington apple
    * 1 table spoon of flax meal
    * 1/2 cup of ice.

It makes just about 3 cups of blended potion. Some think this may not be much, but the amounts of micronutrients you receive in such small amount of calories is amazing.
  • MsAkosia
    MsAkosia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes Blending (not juicing), I stand corrected, Thank You Alex Veksler. After all We consume the delicious fibers, the Juicer Users throw it away. :) I am excited with my new investment (for my health) and I look forward to using it everyday. But the one thing i am kinda struggling with his getting the pillows in my icecream and turn the blender upside down like the do during the demos at costco. I tried it today with my spinach icecream but i think my ice cream was too liquidy to do that magic turning the blender upside down. I will get it right soon and ofcourse the 4 pillows. :)
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yes Blending (not juicing), I stand corrected, Thank You Alex Veksler. After all We consume the delicious fibers, the Juicer Users throw it away. :) I am excited with my new investment (for my health) and I look forward to using it everyday. But the one thing i am kinda struggling with his getting the pillows in my icecream and turn the blender upside down like the do during the demos at costco. I tried it today with my spinach icecream but i think my ice cream was too liquidy to do that magic turning the blender upside down. I will get it right soon and ofcourse the 4 pillows. :)

I just got the new Vitamix that came out and I, too, love it! I wouldn't ever be able to live off of just blending, but I like being able to make the soups to get lots of veggies in and... the ice creams! It took a couple of tries to get the 'pillows' (I call it a clover), but the trick is to put everything in first and then ice so the ice hasn't melted at all. If it won't stick, it needs more ice. :)

As to the OP... I don't think just juicing or blending is a great idea for permanent weight loss unless you have a good plan, lots of research, and are over all making a change to your diet and lifestyle. Like MsAkosia seems to have a complete diet change in that she has moved to whole foods and is blending and this will be a part of her life forever. Is that your plan? If not, juicing for short term weight loss (especially for small amounts of weight) just rarely work. But incorporating juicing or blending can be very beneficial long term. I hope you re-consider the juicing and your diet. Maybe find a balance of some sort. But just juicing will not bring about permanent weight loss and you don't really 'need' a cleanse. If you start eating right, drink your water, and stay active, your body is darn good at flushing out the non-needed stuff. Good luck!
  • chaoticrunner
    chaoticrunner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As to the OP... I don't think just juicing or blending is a great idea for permanent weight loss unless you have a good plan, lots of research, and are over all making a change to your diet and lifestyle. Like MsAkosia seems to have a complete diet change in that she has moved to whole foods and is blending and this will be a part of her life forever. Is that your plan? If not, juicing for short term weight loss (especially for small amounts of weight) just rarely work. But incorporating juicing or blending can be very beneficial long term. I hope you re-consider the juicing and your diet. Maybe find a balance of some sort. But just juicing will not bring about permanent weight loss and you don't really 'need' a cleanse. If you start eating right, drink your water, and stay active, your body is darn good at flushing out the non-needed stuff. Good luck!

Fully agree with this. I've been doing research for the last several months and have been slowly transitioning into a whole foods, potentially vegetarian or vegan diet. (Haven't quite figured out that last part. I'm not sure what life would be like without eggs or cheese!) I've done the green smoothies for quite a few months and actually just bought a juicer this past week. I have watched Fat Sick & Nearly Dead, more than a couple times now, and I could see how a short term juice fast might kickstart a new health plan. But you really do have to have that plan in place and be committed to it. If this movie is your basis for the juice fast, you should note that Joe ate a whole foods diet for several months after his fast. That's the reason it was so successful. If you haven't seen the movie, you should! Quite inspirational. I know it's on Netflix, heard it's on hulu as well.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I do 70% green leaf vegetables and 30% fruits to give it the sweetness. I am strictly no sugar, I soak dates in coconut water (take out pits), It becomes thick like honey and thats my sugar.I blend in my vitamix different veggies including kale, spinach, zuchini, cumcumber, carrots, scoop of my Protein powder and flaxeseed. For sweetness apart from the dates, i get sweetness from my fruits like mangoes, peach, oranges, nectarine etc

Just an FYI, sugar from dates, fruit and honey is still sugar so to say you are stricktly no sugar is very misleading. Your body basically breaks it down and uses all sugars in the same way. This is a really good post to read to clear up the confusion

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017237-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-faq
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I started out my weightloss journey with juicing. I'm one who needs something very structured and I do NOT like to cook. I knew that juicing would give me healthy nutrients and a good kickstart to eating healthier and being more aware of my body. I was off work for the summer so I could give it a try because otherwise I was just going to eat crap and I had not as of yet discovered MFP.

I did 8 days of juicing and lost about 3 kg. Since then I have not juiced an entire day, I make sure that I get at least one regular food type thing per day. I would not go for 30 days unless you have A LOT of weight to lose. 7-10 days could be a good start but then switch to eating at least some food per day.

I'm happy I did it, but I wouldn't do it again. I'm juicing today, but I've also had some regular type food, too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!