Advise About How Many Calories I Should Consume Per Day

Options
Hello,
I looking for some help on the amount of calories I should be consuming each day to maintain my weight, while still gaining muscle. Basically, I want to remain at my current weight and lose more fat while gaining muscle. During an average day I perform the following and I usually perform this routine 5 days per week.
• Morning: Run at 7 mph for 30 mins and sit ups, pull ups, & pushups for 20 mins.
• Evening: Run at 7 mph for 30 mins and weight training for 75 mins.
I am calculating that I am burning around 1500 calories each with my exercise routine.
I am male, 39 years old, 5’ 7”, and 155 lbs.

I am having a hard time figuring out the correct calories intake and any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The only way to establish maintenance intake is through experience. You can use the Katch-McArdle TDEE formula to estimate calories and eat 90 to 95% of the amount for a month or two while weighing and logging using this site. If you lose weight at a slow pace, then up calories until your weight remains relatively stable.

For your goal, you'll likely need to do a slow bulk by assuming a small surplus. It just isn't realistic to increase lean mass while reducing fat mass with no change in weight.
  • robot_steve
    Options
    This has been roughly my goal for the past couple months, as I want to stay in my weight class for powerlifting. Like the other poster said, experience. I really just go by feel. I set MyFitnessPal to 'maintain weight', which puts me at 2600 Calories per day, but I dont actually follow that. I eat based on my training, some days hitting upwards of 4000 Calories on heavy lower body training days, on non-training days dipping down around 2000 or less (though too much less leads to ****ty training sessions on subsequent days). My weight has stayed in the 178-185lbs range for 2 months now. I just focus on cramming in as much protein as I can fit, and use some loose carb-cycling guidelines to try and focus carbs around my training schedule, with the rest of my diet. It seems to be working for me, maybe some of those ideas will help you.