Cravings :(

Options
For some reason when i am by myself all day i can eat healthy..I do great for breakfast and lunch but for some reason when my fiance gets home and my daughter i feel like im starving and i just want to eat EVERYTHING!? A lot of the time it ruins my day. I go over on my calorie intake...then after i eat i feel really sad like i worked all day for NOTHING. Im still losing weight its just SO slow...can anyone help?

Replies

• lfell6
    lfell6 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey Kelly

Do you exercise much at all?
    If not I suggest trying to fit in a Half an hour walk between finishing work and getting home (or take your daughter for a walk to the park/swimming? if spending time with her is your main priority in the evenings).
    The endorphins from the exercise will keep you motivated and feeling healthy and you will be less likely to succumb to naughty cravings!
    Also I find having all my veg chopped up and meat portioned out ready waiting in my fridge for home time makes healthy snacking and cooking easier when i am home from work/gym.

Hope this helps

Keep going your doing great :)

PS talk to your family about this too and ask them for support and encouragement..anyone can benefit from healthier foods so it shouldnt be a huge sacrifice for them to eat healthy with you thus removing more temptation
  • kelly52288
    Options
    Thank you so much for your words of advice! I got the the gym for an hour 4 days a week at noon. Thats why i get so upset when i give into cravings i feel like that hour of working out was all for nothing.
  • lfell6
    Options
    It is definitely not for nothing hun! An hour at the gym is a great effort!
    I know it is hard not to give in! I really think that doing something active just before you get home will really help.. Also perhaps have a healthy snack just as you leave work so you are not hungry when you get home? this way you can tell yourself that you have eaten and do not need to eat now until dinner time, no snacking necessary :)
    Do you keep a log of your exercise? I log everything I do on runkeeper as well as myfitness pal, you get reports each week and you can see where you are going wrong it is extra motivational for me to stay strong! :)
    You are welcome to add me as a friend if you think it will help you.. I have been on MFP for a year now and never knew about this blogging thing as I just use it on my phone! I don't have many friends on there but would like more to keep me motivated too!

I think until you get this under control you should write down (somewhere you will see when you get home, maybe make a screen saver on your phone or simply write it on your hand) a little motivational quote or a goal so you can keep a focus each night :)
  • kelly52288
    Options
    I would def like to add you. I need more motivation. None of my friends really motivate me. And i never know if im doing anything right. MY biggest fear is to do all this work and not get any outcome! I dont work, Im a stay at home mom right now...but maybe my family and i could go on a pre dinner walk?
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're in a home "rut". I have the same problem. In fact, just going to my parents house, I would end up in front of the fridge pulling open the doors, just to see what was in there, even if I wasn't hungry or there to eat, it was just what I did. Habit, that's really the word I meant. You get home, you're with your family and your guard goes down the the cravings go up. I have the same problem too. It's not so much that I'm hungry, more like I'm home, done with work, where I want to be and so I naturally want to eat, but that's just me. Here's what worked for me - I make sure I know what I'm either having or making for dinner before I get home and I mostly don't stray from that plan. Second, while I'm making dinner, I eat a few peppercini's, they are hot, but yummy, and crunchy and keep me on my plan and I can only have a couple because they are so hot. Not saying that's what you should do, but I found something that helps me not just get home and shove food in my face, which is what I used to do - habit.
  • lfell6
    Options
    Added :)
    Hopefully we can both motivate each other :)
    Have you read this article ?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2439971/Obese-mother-afford-gym-loses-10st-turning-house-assault-course.html
    It is quite motivational for the stay at home mum :)
    I am single mother to a five year old week on week off, I go crazy and workout every day when he is with his Dad and do what i can in my lunch break when I have him as I work full time 8:30 till 5:30 I get an hour for lunch though:)
    When I pick him up from School we go to the park and run around and on the weekend he rides his bike whilst i run along side him :) I am sure you, your husband and daughter could all get out there and do something too :)

I used to be a personal trainer so can probably help if you don't know what is right or wrong :) (I know I know why would you trust an overweight PT! haha my problem is I have all the knowledge but lacked the motivation for a while there! on track now though and have enough motivation to share :) )
  • kelly52288
    Options
    Mmm i looove pepperocinis! Thats a good idea..or maybe i could do pickles. Im having a hard time figuring out healthy dinners too though...lunch and breakfast is easy because its just for me, But when im cooking for my family i want it to be good! so i end up making things i know i shouldn't be eating,
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. Something that helps me, pickles! Not sure if its the vinegar or what, but one pickle an hour or so after dinner just removes any cravings. At this point it kinda symbolizes 'the end of eating for today'. Closure I guess:)
  • Momily56
    Options
    I 've been going along fine on 1200 calories for three weeks (with very little to show for it) and all of a sudden today I too want to eat everything in sight. But I won't because I am tracking everything. I snacked on an ounce of turkey jerkey thinking maybe I needed more protein. Then I had half an orange to get something sweet. Then I chugged two glasses of water. Now I am just trying to hold it together until dinner. I will do this! I've worked too hard to let it go. But I do fantasize about it....
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yes, cooking/eating for just myself is much easier, you are right. Would your family not like "healthier" meals? I started cooking chicken or fish or steak and vege's and my daughter (it's just me and a non-picky 16 year old) never blinked an eye and loves the way I cook now. I never make pasta and she never complains, but I have to say my situation is easier, because if she doesn't want to eat what I cook, she just makes something for herself then anyway, so it's not as much of an issue for me as it is with people with bigger families. Good luck, you'll find something that works. I know this because you want to and therefore you will. :tongue:
  • lfell6
    Options
    Don't forget that eating regularly keeps the metabolism going, its like a fire, you have to keep fueling it to keep it going as efficiently as possible.. If you feel like the fire is dulling then it probably needs more fuel..
    1200 calories is not that much at all, have you tried to change it up a little bit?, i read an article a while back, and have been actively trying it out, I can't remember what it was called but it says too alternate your overall calories each day so your body doesn't get too used too the one amount, therefore if you have a blow out one day your body can better cope and you don't fall so far backwards.
    Start with 1500 on a Monday then drop to 1300 tues, 1100 wed, 1400 thurs, 1200 friday etc etc etc yo ucan go as low as 1000 but no higher than 1500 and on a higher calorie day try and increase your cardio intensity a bit as you will have a little extra energy to expend.. this is a much healthier routine for your body and stops you from getting bored and straying as you know when your higher calorie days are, and if you do slip and have a higher calorie day one day then you know you can lower your intake the next??
  • lfell6
    Options
    Sorry ths was for Momily56, I am trying to get the hang of this blogging lark!
    Don't forget that eating regularly keeps the metabolism going, its like a fire, you have to keep fueling it to keep it going as efficiently as possible.. If you feel like the fire is dulling then it probably needs more fuel..
    1200 calories is not that much at all, have you tried to change it up a little bit?, i read an article a while back, and have been actively trying it out, I can't remember what it was called but it says too alternate your overall calories each day so your body doesn't get too used too the one amount, therefore if you have a blow out one day your body can better cope and you don't fall so far backwards.
    Start with 1500 on a Monday then drop to 1300 tues, 1100 wed, 1400 thurs, 1200 friday etc etc etc yo ucan go as low as 1000 but no higher than 1500 and on a higher calorie day try and increase your cardio intensity a bit as you will have a little extra energy to expend.. this is a much healthier routine for your body and stops you from getting bored and straying as you know when your higher calorie days are, and if you do slip and have a higher calorie day one day then you know you can lower your intake the next??