How do you handle what I call, "EATING EVENTS"

Options

Replies

• NetmanNH
    Options
    My weight loss is more important to me than eating junk that will leave me with an upset stomach for days. Why do you have to eat at these events? If you only go for the food, that says a lot about you and your determination to reach goal.

I disagree .. you should never feel bad about what you eat, even if it is overboard. There is always a new day, and anything else leads to an eating disorder.. very unhealthy
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Good question!--especially with the holidays coming up...

Reaan:happy:
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If it is a weekend event, I try to sleep in, so I wake up already missing breakfast. If I can, I'll only have a protein shake early afternoon (200 cal), to keep the hunger down, and give me enough of a full belly to get me to the event. So, for me, I've got easily 1500 cals I can eat while there, and still be on track to lose weight. 1750 if I want to not make backward progress. I'll get there hungry, but I have mentally decided to LIKE that hunger, as I know it means I'm burning fat, and I get to eat what I want. I'm not starving to death, I'm a little hungry. I can handle that hunger, for the reward. (I've found I enjoy food much more since I've been restricting calories.)

Or, I try to bank some calories through exercise. If a weekend, I know I can burn 1000 in the morning if I go to the gym. On a weekday, I go running and burn about 500. I may even run an additional day that week (before or after) to help me end the week being on track. For me, burning 1000 cal means I can eat my normal diet that day, and indulge in 1000 extra calories of something (ice cream, liquor, etc.)

Enjoy eating events. It is possible. Once we lose the weight we want to lose, we have the rest of our lives to deal with staying on track calorie-wise. Hopefully some advice given here will work for you and your mindset!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Part of my lifestyle change has been to become aware of what I am eating, when/why/where and make conscious and deliberate choices based on my long term goals, not immediate gratification.

If the ONLY thing I like about the event is the eating, I would rather not go. This may seem overly harsh to some, but there are way too many food related events to make a "special occasion just one day" exception for all of them. I would be able to enjoy going to the fair even with moderate consumption, so that would be fine. There will always be another eating event, so I don't have to feel like I am missing something if I don't eat every single thing they have that I might like, and I can fit a moderate treat into just about any day if I know in advance.

In some ways, it has become like drinking events for me. I stopped drinking (mostly) long before I was trying to lose weight, and events where the only draw was the alcohol became at best dull, so they just naturally lost their appeal.
  • MgmXT
    MgmXT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Everybody needs a cheat day. Also, it is important to actually have that cheat day as it creates an insulin spike in your system. This insulin spike is important to help you maintain the metabolism you have. Too much dieting/Incorrect dieting can lead to your metabolism dropping despite you losing weight, and will result in you just putting that weight back on. So what I do for these "eating events" is I make sure it is on my cheat day and that on that cheat day I go HARD at the gym. You can usually crank out an extra 800 calories to help you manage those days. To handle drinking events I stick to hard liquor with diet mixer lol... After these events it's important to understand that these days are important for the reason mentioned above, as well as mental health so that you don't crack and give up your diet altogether. In the end you're dieting to feel good about yourself so if you're dieting all the time and hating yourself then what's the point? Anyways, just how I view things :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So what I do for these "eating events" is I make sure it is on my cheat day and that on that cheat day I go HARD at the gym. You can usually crank out an extra 800 calories to help you manage those days.

800 extra exercise calories is, for most dieters, an extremely difficult task. That's equivalent to a 200-pound dieter adding a six mile run to their daily activity.
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    DO - Go and enjoy as you would normally if you weren't concerned about counting the calories.
    DON'T - Go and think "I've screwed up today, so while I'm here, I'm going to go all out WOO!" and then eat/drink DOUBLE what you normally would 'because you've been bad already' or 'because it's the only chance you'll get to eat junk'.

Plus what other's have said - get a little bit more exercise in during the week, save up those calories, plan light meals for the day around the big event.

No eating and lifestyle plan will ever work if you can't enjoy yourself once in a while. :)
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    But the fair, OMG, fried oreos, caramel apples, funnel cakes.....
    Honestly some things you should never eat ever. If a friend buys a funnel cake you can have one bite. I always bring food with me to festivals so I don't need to buy anything.

That may work for you but other people enjoy those kinds of things. Don't push your restrictions on other people.
  • Cattfish42
    Cattfish42 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have no self control so I just wind up hating myself the next day and then exercising a lot
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Plan for it. Put in a couple of extra workouts. Relax and enjoy. Unless you're at an Eating Event every week, or several times a week, an occasional splurge should be ok.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The eating events that are hardest for me are the ones where you are eating at the home of family. My mother ALWAYS watches like a hawk what everyone is eating and if your plate is even partially full, she will try to push more food. If you were to decline to eat one of the foods, she would act hurt that you didn't like her food or tell you hot to worry about treating yourself once in awhile. Food Pushers drive me crazy!!!

As to the fair, if all that junk really seriously tempted me, I wouldn't go. Or if you went with a friend or a spouse, you could ask for just one bite of what they are having. Also, at most fairs, they have something called, "Lemon Shake-Up." It's great--homemade lemonade and they put the lemon halves in it for flavor. Most of them have sweetener on hand and will be glad to make a sugar-free Shake-Up. Tastes good to me!

I don't really agree with those that say--it's just one day--go ahead and enjoy yourself. Maybe some are able to get right back on the wagon and start eating well again--but this type of thing has often thrown me into a full-fledged binge in the past.

Good luck!
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Follow what I think this plan is about. Nothing is really off limits, it's the amount. There are 25 different chillies at the cook off, taste them all, but eat your favorite pick or 2. It isn't about what you eat, but how much. It's a new mind set. You went, ate everything, and had a good time. The change is going and eating everything no longer means eating an entire bowl of everything.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm generally pretty good unless alcohol is involved....Then, forget it!

I can pass up fair food & stuff like that. It's not as hard as it seems. Or if you really must have something, just factor it into your daily calories.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I go and keep my portion size under control. If I feel like I ate too much, I will eat less than usual the next day.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Interesting question.

There may be other benefits to a food-centric event... but, essentially, it's an excuse for overeating, isn't it? I suppose when food is no longer the 'be all and end all' then other kinds of events will naturally fill the place?

Also - temptation. I mainly don't go to stuff like that cos of my binge tendencies coupled with my eating capacity!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I save up my calories for it and make sure I do extra exercise...
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My two suggestions (I have a trip to Prague coming up myself):

Plan for it. Be super-good the week before. No cheat meals. Good cardio days.

Don't try to hard to restrict yourself. Have fun. Enjoy that one meal that might be your entire calorie goal. But track everything. It might be hard, because you might have to estimate a lot since you won't have prepared everything yourself, so overestimate if necessary.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The festival is easy honestly. I eat before I go, bring a protein bar or something... but most of the time for me the food is not worth the calories anyway (or the price, for that matter!).

For the rest, either save calories for it, or just have a little bit of everything. As long as it's not a weekly occurrence or something, it's not going to kill you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have self control...I enjoy myself, but I don't feel the need to gorge myself. A little self control goes a long way.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Maybe I need to plan on new traditions that don't center around overeating unhealthy food.

I just had this discussion with my dh. As someone who enjoys preparing food for others (and them enjoying it), I struggle with my love for food-centric events/holidays.

The holidays are coming up and one of my favorite family traditions is to make cookies with my mom and grandma and now my son. We spend all day making many batches of cookies. Mom then bakes hers closer to Christmas and gives them out with gifts. I don't do that, I just take some home to eat.
    I can still go and make cookies with them and only eat a few and not take any home. I'm fine with modifications like that. I won't give up any family functions.

But what I was thinking was that for the long run if I should/could find something to replace the social type events with. Yes I know there is not harm in attending one once in a while but there are quite a few that I normally attend each year.

What kind of social events if any do you attend that promote or at least do not derail good health? I'm just realizing that almost everything I do socially centers around eating and/or drinking. No one's ever asked me if I would like to hang out and drink a water or go out for steamed broccoli :tongue: