Doctors Keep Telling Me I'm Overweight

Options
Hi, guys.

I've been on MFP for about a year and six months now. I have made some amazing progress. Last April, I weighed 200 lbs. Now, I'm between 152-160 depending on which scale I use. (I'm 5'8" with a large frame in case anyone wanted to know.) Well, every time I go to the Health Dept. to update my birth control, they always have to weigh me. When they do, they almost always tell me I'm overweight, even though I'm clearly not. I can fit into an extra small dress and small t-shirts, for Christ's sake. I try to explain to them that I've gained muscle, but they just scoff at me and tell me to eat less.

I only eat 1940 cals a day. I alternate my exercises every week between straight cardio and cardio with weights. The cardio I do is either Turbo Fire, Zumba, or Elliptical trainer. I use 8-10 lb dumbbells, and I can lift some pretty hefty weights on some of the machines. (Not sure the exact number. I just lift whatever is heavy enough to be challenging but not so heavy that it will cause me to hurt myself.)

I don't know what to do. I know I've made a lot of progress, and I want to feel good about it, but I can't if the doctors keep telling me I'm overweight. Should I just ignore them? It seems like I shouldn't since they're the ones with the master's degrees, but I don't know.

Replies

• tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    They use your bmi which could be higher if you are muscular. So if you more muscular and happy with where you are at I would ignore them.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    You no longer look overweight to me (from what I could see in your profile pics). If you are fit, happy and healthy, then a number on the scale should mean very little. Unfortunately even the educated among us can still be somewhat ignorant when understanding body composition and that there is not always a direct correlation between health and weight (within certain tolerances of course).

If this is a real sticking point to you then you could ask the doctor for a physical to show you are healthy, or get a body composition test (eg DEXA scan or similar) to show what bf% you have.
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even if they are using BMI, your height and 160 pounds calculates to 24.3, which is in the normal range, not overweight, so ask them how they are determining that you are overweight.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I would listen to them. With you being 5'8" and 152-160, you are overweight still. And looking at your pic, you are a medium frame. Try measuring your wrists and ankles. You don't have a low body fat % and that would be the only reason you wouldn't be considered overweight with those stats. Keep up the good work.
  • staciva
    staciva Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Your bmi is probably The issue because it takes only your height and weight into account, not actual body mass (totally misleading, huh?) If you are feeling good, and you follow a healthy diet, don't listen to them! This is coming from a doctor by the way. Remember, some medical advice changes over time. Remember not too long ago, everyone was told to follow a low fat diet? Not anymore! And how about eggs? They were the scourge of the universe up until this past year.

Awesome job on the weight loss though! Keep your chin up and be proud of your accomplishments! You are the only person who can dictate your thoughts on yourself. :)
  • Yari5
    Yari5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ignore them! Loosers!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Even at 160 your BMI is still in the normal range at 24.3, so regardless of your frame your BMI is considered "healthy." I'd ask why they think you're overweight and what they think you should weigh, then point out that you're not actually overweight for your height. Also, according to the BMI charts a "healthy" weight for someone 5'8 is between 125-164.

*I don't necessarily agree that BMI is a true indicator of whether a person is healthy or not, but I believe this is what most doctors use...right?
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I would listen to them. With you being 5'8" and 152-160, you are overweight still. And looking at your pic, you are a medium frame. Try measuring your wrists and ankles. You don't have a low body fat % and that would be the only reason you wouldn't be considered overweight with those stats. Keep up the good work.

I have itty bitty tiny wrists and ankles, so I don't know how much that measurement would help. :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Her bmi isn't in the overweight range though? So how are you determining that she's overweight?

Edit: Actually OP I looked at your photos and, as I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong, I'm inclined to agree that you might have a body fat % of the higher end of things, which is probably what your doctor is talking about.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

I have itty bitty tiny wrists and ankles, so I don't know how much that measurement would help. :laugh:

That is generally how frame size is determined. If you have tiny wrists and ankles, it is unlikely that you're large framed. From the tiny pic of you I can see in your profile, I would say it's possible that you have a higher body fat percent even with a healthy BMI calculation.

But if you're happy where you are, there's no need to change anything.
  • skadoosh33
    Options

Well that's a good measurement to find out what frame size you are.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Even if they are using BMI, your height and 160 pounds calculates to 24.3, which is in the normal range, not overweight, so ask them how they are determining that you are overweight.

this ask them how they came to that conclusion and if they say BMI ask them to show you the math. BTW very few health professionals know the math for BMI.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    BMI wise you are in the range for "normal" but the most important measure is yourself: do you feel happy? If you do, that's what matters. I have never liked BMI measurements as a scale of whether or not someone is overweight as there are too many other factors involved.
  • skadoosh33
    Options

Her bmi isn't in the overweight range though? So how are you determining that she's overweight?

Body composition. She is medium or even small frame according to her tiny wrists. Ideal weight for 5'8" is 140 with good body fat %. She has a little higher body fat % and 12-20 extra pounds. So that is slightly overweight. BMI is not a good test if you are looking to be fit.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I have itty bitty wrists, thick ankles and shoulders like a defensive lineman. Explain what kind of frame I have then.
  • shierrarobin
    Options

That is generally how frame size is determined. If you have tiny wrists and ankles, it is unlikely that you're large framed. From the tiny pic of you I can see in your profile, I would say it's possible that you have a higher body fat percent even with a healthy BMI calculation.

But if you're happy where you are, there's no need to change anything.

See, that's what makes my frame confusing. I have tiny wrists and tiny ankles, but right now, my hip bones are almost poking out because they're so wide. People also tell me I have broad shoulders, but I think they might be exaggerating a bit.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Body composition. She is medium or even small frame according to her tiny wrists. Ideal weight for 5'8" is 140 with good body fat %. She has a little higher body fat % and 12-20 extra pounds. So that is slightly overweight. BMI is not a good test if you are looking to be fit.

I already edited to say I was wrong.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

I have itty bitty wrists, thick ankles and shoulders like a defensive lineman. Explain what kind of frame I have then.

When you have a large amount of weight to lose, you are going to be big almost everywhere. However, your wrists don't carry a whole lot of fat so that's why they are generally used as a rough guideline. Of course, your wrists will lose size too, mine went from 8" to 7" after losing over 90lbs. It's just not as dramatic as elsewhere.

So long story short, if you've got small wrists you've probably got a small bone structure underneath. It reminds me of this:

i-am-just-big-boned.jpg

Don't fall for that trap, I fell for it too.

Anyway, all that aside, get your body fat percentage tested and use that. That's probably the best marker versus frame size, bmi, scale weight, etc..
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    Also, I should probably mention that that is an old pic on my profile. My upper arms and thighs are a lot smaller now.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I personally think you can't listen to the message board or your doctors, nor can you follow your own opinion.

I'd get a real body composition analysis done. It can guide you to the true answer, done professionally, is not that expensive (it's your health and life that's at stake, after all!) and will tell you the final real truth of the matter.

In my area, a quick search for "bodpod" finds plenty of faciltiies that'll do this analysis for $50 canadian. I'd look for bodpod first because it's accurate and not super annoying. If you can't find a bodpod, the next option is an immersion tank, but that might be harder to find.

I personally use a body fat scale to tell me what's what but that's because I know I'm overweight and I can live with the results if they're wrong by a few percent. When approaching truly healthy, I think a more accurate measure is needed.

As an added bonus, you'll wind up with a doctor telling you the right answer if you go this route!

Osric