Trying Again with Thyroid Diet Revolution!

Options
Has anyone else recently discovered they have a slow (hypothyroidism) thyroid problem? I have not only discovered this little bit of info and been given the medication that is suppose to help me but I've also learned that an anti-depressant I've been taking has a high potential for weight gain. So, put the two together and it's a recipe for disaster. It's been a life long battle for me with food and I've been obsessed with it- with eating it and with staying away from it for almost my entire life. Due to my behavior, at 115 lbs aged only 14, I had a friend ask me "are you addicted to food" which really startled me since I thought I was hiding my addiction until that moment. I remember her and I going on a diet where all we ate was pickles for a week! An unhealthy relationship with food has been a part of my life since well ...as early as I can remember. I was, until age 29, able to keep myself around or below 200 lbs and from 25 years and under I was able to keep myself around or under 150 lbs. Well, now I am age 32 and I've lost the battle as I am closer to 300 lbs than 200. I am actually afraid to find out what my weight really is as I am too scared to get on a scale! I started eating less on Friday so today makes the completion of 3 whole days eating less (whoo hoo jk) and already I feel like eating something naughty. Good thing there is nothing like that in the house anymore. I am only 5'2" so at this weight, I am becoming unable to breath after climbing only one flight of stairs at work, my back is always killing me, and I am just basically miserable and huge. Thank God I have my desk at work because I cannot stand for long or even semi-short -truth be told- periods at a time. I am looking to chat with someone, anyone who is in the same boat as myself or has been and has successfully made a change as I am looking for advice and support! Thanks :smile:

Rene

Replies

• Siobhan3240
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and have started the weight loss journey 4 weeks ago and lost 18 pounds. I started at 279.
  • kymbeez
    kymbeez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Rene,

I feel ya! I also was hypothyroid, hoshimoto's and developed Thyroid Cancer, so I have Zero, zip, nada thyroid....except my parathyroids which help with calcium... I have been on thyroid replacement for 12 years, had my thyca 3 years ago.... I remember eating nothing but fruits and veggies and I gained 30# in 2 weeks... I work in the medical field and my doc was shocked... I was like a balloon.... I also am a diabetic.... But ya know... those meds can cause you to gain weight.... such as my diabetes meds.... But... I make a choice.... I eat a fiber-rrific diet ..... I do have snacks at times.... My weight will go up and down....it may stall....but I am in it for the long haul..... It will be a battle but, I **WILL** get to where I need to be....

I do not blame any of my conditions on my weight... I could.... but I had problems before my endocrine system failed me.... I will get healthier....and you can tooo :)

The key with thyroid is to make sure you are at a within normal limits... I am suppressed so mine is higher than typical.... When was your last TSH, Free T4 done?

Kym
  • kymbeez
    kymbeez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid and have started the weight loss journey 4 weeks ago and lost 18 pounds. I started at 279.

WTG!!! Thats awesome!!!
  • ruizv17
    ruizv17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey Rene,
    I am proud that you are trying again. I was just diagnosed this past year and decided to try to get some of the weight off before I felt like my body couldn't function as well. My mother has always struggled with her thyroid and has a hard time losing weight too. As hard as it is you have to make sure that you are eating a balanced diet and that you are not skipping meals. I am always on my mom about this because not eating enough and skipping meals causes her to gain as much weight as if she was overeating. I tried going gluten free which was suggested as a better diet since I was having other symptoms as well and it allowed me to lose a good amount of weight but it was hard to maintain. Don't get discourage. I would talk to your doctor and see if they can get you in touch with a nutritionist that can give you a plan that works for you. Feel free to add me!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am hypothyroid also ... but with T4/T3 replacement I have no problem ... T4 only and I still have symptoms ... You want to get your Free T3, Free T4, and TSH tested ... Though, the TSH is not the end all and be all that most doctors make it out to be, it's more about the Frees (i.e. the actual hormones your thyroid is producing or how much thyroid hormone you are taking or a combo of both ... The TSH is actually a pituitary hormone ... )

I usually type lengthy responses, but it's late, so I'm just going to say this: About.com's thyroid pages are awesome, Mary Shomon is a great advocate for thyroid patients. StopTheThyroidMadness.com is also helpful, as is their FB support group FTPO (For Thyroid Patients Only), but I feel like the push NDT a bit too much ... I personal think there's nothing wrong with synthetic T4/T3 combo (I may be a bit biased, since that's what I take ...), but whatever floats your boat, as long as it works for you ...

EDIT: Oh, and STAY AWAY FROM SOY, it is known to block thyroid hormone absorption. If you have Hashimoto's, then going Gluten Free may help ... They is a strong correlation between gluten indolence and thyroid issues ...

DO YOUR RESEARCH!
  • alex05andria
    alex05andria Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I was born without a thyroid (congenital hypothyroid) so
    I can relate. I've pretty much always been overweight but I'm trying to change that now.
    I'm getting married in only six months. I've tried everything this
    Year to lose weight, but so far, no luck. Right now
    Any dietary suggestions?
  • barbie3000
    barbie3000 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism with multinodular goitre at 11, and started meds then. At 19 I had 2/3 of my thyroid removed. Now, I have a tumour in the remaining third of my thyroid, which is going to be removed this fall.

I am tired and frustrated at the moment. I've always struggled with weight, and ballooning a few years ago for a variety of reasons. But getting it off now is proving to be insanely difficult. I'm having a particularly bad day.