Going too fast, don't know how to adjust menu

Options
I lost 5 lbs in 9 days. That is great and I am definitely NOT complaining. But I believe this is going just a tad too fast, because today I felt tired and without energy.

I am trying my best to keep all the needed numbers right. Sometimes my calories are over but not even enough to mention. I get more protein that required, and carbs are mostly just a little bit over. Sugar is always way over but not from real sugar, but fruit and veggies.

What would be the best food to increase a little without going too far over my required calories?

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Far be it for me to judge.... but I took a quick look at your diary.... and it doesn't really look like you're eating very much food. Granted, the calories all add up... but, most of that stuff just doesn't look like food. Is this a diet plan you're on, or do you intend to eat like this permanently? Honestly, I didn't know that eating kale for breakfast was even an option. :wink:

Quite honestly, I think if you need more calories, adding any kind of real food would help.
  • MilliDenney
    MilliDenney Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's called the 'Peertrainer Diet'. So far I have done very well on it. Never had a bad day, so maybe today was just a 'normal bad day'..

No, it's not supposed to be forever, but I will do it untill I have reached 148, my goal.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    The Institute of Medicine recommendation is 0.37 grams of protein per pound and you are a little short of that number. If you are doing any sort of exercise you need to remember to eat back those calories. As for the 5lbs in 9 days, consider what you are eating I'm wondering if the weight is water and the cleansers that you are eating?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    If you want more calories added to your goal, you can tell MFP you want to lose weight at a slower rate of loss (eg 1 lb per week vs 2 lbs per week) and it will give you more calories, or you can set your own calorie goal under goals/custom goals.

If you're asking what food you should eat more of -- I don't think it really matters, although protein tends to be more satiating and MFP's default protein is low.

Hope that helped!

I really like the Garden of Life protein powder -- their Raw Meal is also good.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It's called the 'Peertrainer Diet'. So far I have done very well on it. Never had a bad day, so maybe today was just a 'normal bad day'..

No, it's not supposed to be forever, but I will do it untill I have reached 148, my goal.

Then what happens when you quit living on supplements and not much else? Weight won't stay off unless you learn to eat properly and you're old enough and been down this road before so you should have learned that by now.

Your calorie budget isn't bad but eat some real food instead of trying to live on supplements and kale. You can eat 1300 - 1400 calories a day of real food, feel good and lose weight. I maintain 115 lbs at 56 on 1500 a day without resorting to any "diets" or special foods. You're hungry because you're hungry!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, avocado, nuts and seeds, a glass of milk, any of those would add calories with little volume.
  • MilliDenney
    Options

Then what happens when you quit living on supplements and not much else? Weight won't stay off unless you learn to eat properly and you're old enough and been down this road before so you should have learned that by now.

Your calorie budget isn't bad but eat some real food instead of trying to live on supplements and kale. You can eat 1300 - 1400 calories a day of real food, feel good and lose weight. I maintain 115 lbs at 56 on 1500 a day without resorting to any "diets" or special foods. You're hungry because you're hungry!

No, I am not hungry.

My goal with MFP is 1 lb per week, and I stick to the suggested calories, and adjust the rest (protein, sugar, carbs etc.) according to the required amounts also.
  • MilliDenney
    Options
    The Institute of Medicine recommendation is 0.37 grams of protein per pound and you are a little short of that number. If you are doing any sort of exercise you need to remember to eat back those calories. As for the 5lbs in 9 days, consider what you are eating I'm wondering if the weight is water and the cleansers that you are eating?

I am way past losing weight in water. I've lost 25 lbs in 5 months with this eating system, and now these 5 lbs and 5 more to go.
  • MilliDenney
    Options
    Taking the 0.37 g. per body weight into consideration, I am going to aim for 57 - 60 grams a day. That was actually the amount I was on before trying to perfectly adjust to the recommended amounts of MFP.

I'm sure that'll make a difference.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I am way past losing weight in water. I've lost 25 lbs in 5 months with this eating system, and now these 5 lbs and 5 more to go.

This is probably untrue. Consider these data from NASA:

figure355.png
    [Image credit: "The Hacker's Diet" by John Walker]

Though the information isn't clear about what gender it is talking about, the message is clear: with about 10 pounds of water passing through your body _every day_ you could easily jump 5lb based on a water issue at any time during your plan. To lose 5lb requires a calorie deficit of 17,500 calories ... does your activity level allow you to imagine you've actually even burned that many calories in the given time period, assuming you ate nothing at all? If not, I'd have to suggest water is the answer.

Osric
  • MilliDenney
    Options
    That is a very interesting indeed.

Thank you for that!
  • twinmoon
    twinmoon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I went through that too - feeling tired. Here's what worked for me, but everyone's different. I added 200-300 calories of healthy fats, mostly almond butter, avocado, olive oil, nuts. I kept losing weight, but I had more energy. I eat almond butter or almonds every day and avocado most days. I also think your carbs are too high, and your protein's too low. Add eggs, egg whites, grilled chicken, etc. to increase the protein. Good luck and great job on your weight loss.
  • elmanre
    elmanre Posts: 14
    Options
    If you want to increase energy try to eat a little more carbs, like rice, beans, spaguetti... Anyways I think is normal to have low energy sometimes since the body has to take energy from the fat, thats the idea of dieting...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Again, I'm no freakin' expert, by any stretch, and please take this for what it's worth... which is nothing, unless you see some value in what I say....

I have kind of done something similar to what you are doing.... that is, a fairly rapid weight loss in a reasonably short period of time. That is... If I understand correctly, you originally had about 35 lbs to lose, and lost 25 of 'em in 5 months. But. you still seem to be losing at a pretty rapid rate on the 'diet' that you're on.... and you want to start transitioning into somewhat more 'normal' eating habits.

I think you need to figure out your exit strategy from this diet, ASAP. This is just MHO.... but, I don't think it's a good idea to 'diet' like you are, to your goal weight, and then suddenly try to put the brakes on. I lost the 1st 30 lbs of my initial 40 lb goal in fairly short order.... and am currently, at the very least, maintaining, while trying to slowly lose another 10 lbs, without pushing it.

More experienced MFP'ers can tell you if I have this right.... but, I've always thought that it's the last 10 lbs that are the hardest to lose. Sure, you can probably drop 'em off like nobody's business, if you don't eat anything but kale.... but, I'm thinking the last 5 lbs you have to go, now, if I read correctly.... maybe you should use them as a relearning tool for you body, how to eat real food?
  • MilliDenney
    Options
    Thank you Sloth, I very much appreciate your help and suggestions. I'm off to bed right now, but I will get back to you tomorrow because I do need to address some of your comments. Or maybe all, and in a good way :D