Having wisdom teeth removed

Options
So I am having all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth cut out on the 14th of this month. I was hoping I could get some ideas of foods to eat. I definitely want to eat enough calories during the days that I will need to have caution with eating and drinking. What are some foods that you recommend?

Replies

• kbitzonefour
    kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Did not eat anything the first day. Though, I think my experience was different that most.
    Told my dentist the anesthetic always makes me vomit when I wake up. (Had to get all 4cut out) He said ok, no problem I'll do something for you while you're under so that doesn't happen. So I wake up with gauze in my mouth and immediately puke my brains out while the nurse is telling me to get the gauze out. Puked all the way home. Was in and out of conciousness sitting down on the couch trying to sleep. I'd wake up every 20 minutes because I was choking on my own blood. Commence more puking it all out. Did not take a single pain killer because I was so out of it.

After the 2nd day I was able to cut normal food into very small pieces and it took about 30-45 mins to eat a whole meal, lol.

Good luck!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Soft foods, greek yogurt, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, creamy soups. You won't want to eat food that's too hot and you won't be able to suck on a straw (it can dislodge the blood clot in the lower jaw where the teeth will be removed and is extremely painful.) Just keep up on pain meds and you'll heal fairly quick.
  • SkaterGirl704
    SkaterGirl704 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How come I never got any wisdom teeth?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    the first couple days you might not be able to manage anything other than liquids (sometimes the swelling makes it hard to move your jaw at first).

I survived on soups and shakes for the first few days, then anything that was soft and didn't require a lot of chewing. I had all 4 out at once. It wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't horrific either.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I only had two wisdoms, but from what I remember it was no where nearly as bad as I expected. They told me the no straw thing was just for the first few days. Honestly Day 1-2 was a cake walk but on Day 3 I woke up pretty swollen around my cheeks with some tightness in my jaw. Soup was my friend. Go for some creamy, cheesy stuff. Ice cream might not be a bad idea either. Yum.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    How come I never got any wisdom teeth?

My dentist told me that over the past couple of decades the number of people with 0-2 wisdom teeth instead of four has drastically increased. Possibly an evolutionary thing? I am not sure. I only ever had the bottom two, myself. My ex husband had none and my fiance only has the top two. Most of my friends have four (or did have four). We are all in our 30's.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was an adult when I had two of my wisdom teeth out (I still have the other two), and I remember eating soup, cream of wheat, juice, and other soft foods for a a week or two. As someone else pointed out, you don't want to suck on a straw either.

I opted for no pain meds, but the pain wasn't too bad so I don't think I really needed them.

You can mash your veggies and your potatoes too. Believe me, you won't feel like eating things like steak and chicken.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    smoothies and smoothies and smoothies. I threw just about anything that would fit into a blender with a banana, soymilk and ice and lived off that for a few days. I was even putting cereal and all kinds of crazy stuff. a banana-avocado smoothie sounds like it would be pretty yummy and nutrient dense, maybe add some frozen berries, some peanut butter maybe... you can definitely get creative with it.

yes, and soup! a nice hearty pumpkin or butternut squash soup sounds pretty good about now.. honestly, mine weren't as painful as I thought they were going to be (and all I got sent home with was some useless T3) and I was eating solid food again before I knew it... good luck!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Sounds like a job for The Ice Cream Man!!
  • JellyBeanQueen86
    Options
    i really doubt that you will be able to get enough cals while you are recovering.

I had all four removed a couple of years ago and went under to get it done. I had it done in the morning and was home by the after, i could barely open my mouth to have a pain killer and water. the only way i found to could do that was pushing the tablet into some jelly (not sure if you are american or not but jello over there) and letting it slide down my throat.
    everyone is different and recover at different speeds. but i was sleepy and felt horrible for at least a week before i actually felt like walking around.
    All i ate was mashed potato (instant stuff so that there was no lumps at all) and jello... this is all i ate for just a little under a month, i started eating veggies that were cooked so they were really soft but it really hurt if anything got into the holes where the teeth were removed.

i did lose 10kg in that month of not being able to eat or exercise. I was back at work after a week and a half.

My advice, take it easy. lots of rest and water.
    dont have yogurt LMAO i found it horrible to try eat... mainly because i couldn't open my mouth and it just seemed to not go down my throat instead just coat my mouth hahaha!

good luck :)
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I had two out a couple weeks ago, which left me with one side of my mouth to shovel food into. So I imagine the days following your procedure are going to be VERY rough. Especially since they're all impacted.

Anyway, here's what I can recommend to start off with. Trust me, with soups and things you are not going to want to have any chunks in it, no matter how soft. And you might have to water down things to make them easier to swallow. Because it will be painful to do regardless of what you're trying to consume. Use a small spoon, and make sure the food isn't too hot. You probably won't be able to gauge temperature too well in your mouth. I know I'm only just starting to recover some sensation in my lower lip now. Gotta love bruised nerves.

- Soup
    - Jelly
    - Mashed potato
    - Mashed banana
    - Protein shakes
    - Smoothies
    - Yoghurt

Oh. And you will want ice cream. LOTS OF ICE CREAM. It doubles as a means to keep your face numb while impatiently waiting until you can have your next dose of painkillers.

You'll eventually be able to graduate onto other things. But be careful, especially with oatmeal, that things don't get stuck in the sockets and cause infection. I rinsed with antiseptic mouthwash (Savacol and Ceptacol are excellent) after eating to try and avoid this.

- Boiled/poached eggs
    - Baked beans
    - Tinned spaghetti
    - Oatmeal

I'd also suggest having the world's most giant meal the night before. I had mine out in the chair so I could have lunch right before, but since you're having four out I'm assuming you're going to be put under so there might be some rules regarding how close to the surgery you can eat. But seriously, the first few days after I was seriously struggling to even reach 1000 calories. That's less than half of what I usually have. It's not fun. On about the fourth day I decided to hell with it and had butter chicken - NOT the best idea (it was messy, painful, and took forever) but I was so freaking hungry it didn't matter.

Two weeks after mine and they're still tender, but I can eat most things now including apple off the core. Exercise is possible, but the jarring motion of most things (even walking was painful at first!) and the rush of blood can make the sockets bleed a little and cause pain from jaw to temple.

Bottom line is, you're going to have a tough time eating anything. So try to find ways to sneak in the calories that your body will need. Full-fat milk instead of skim, creamy rich sauces on soft pasta, etc. Jelly and bananas especially will keep hunger pangs at bay, but when they hit they will hit hard.

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • amdevns23
    amdevns23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 of my impacted teeth removed 2 months ago. It wasn't fun :/ But basically all I ate was soup. I couldn't chew, my jaw was wayyyy to sore, so I ate A LOT of soup. However, on the bright side, depending on the type of soup.. It can be pretty low cal.
  • CycleGuy9000
    Options
    So I am having all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth cut out on the 14th of this month. I was hoping I could get some ideas of foods to eat. I definitely want to eat enough calories during the days that I will need to have caution with eating and drinking. What are some foods that you recommend?

I ate lots of macaroni and cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese when I had mine out.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Also depends on the swelling..

My son and brother looked like chipmunks (hahaha)

I was fine.. I actually remember the nurse telling me to eat toast to toughen my gums up, and me telling her she was a sadist...
  • mommy_her3guys918
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I was am going today to buy a juicer so that I can make sure I am getting in all of my (well most) nutrients. So if anyone has a good concoction recipe that you would not mind sharing that would be great too!