Help me fix my apple sauce

Options
0somuchbetter0
0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
Went apple picking with the kids last weekend and I have a mountain of apples in my kitchen.

I made a huge batch of chunky apple sauce and it's soooooo sweet! I can't even finish a cup of it. Any tips on how to de-sweeten it?

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Did you add sugar to it? Make more apple sauce with no sugar and add it.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Good idea, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Yes, added sugar...big mistake! Tummy ache :(
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If it's just sweet because the apples are sweet, you could get some tart apples (think granny smith) and make a tart sauce to blend in.
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I love homemade applesauce. If the apples are very ripe you shouldn't need to add sugar. I also cook them with the skins on to get a nice pink color :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    I used to make it for my son when he was a baby...pretty sure I didn't use sugar. I came across this recipe on Epicurious and stupidly added the 2 cups of sugar it called for. Tomorrow I'll add more apples and lots of lemon juice.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Its really good if you get the Plain Yogurt and mix in some of that and a little cinnamon.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow @ 2 cups of sugar. Not sure which apples you used, but I usually don't add any sugar when I make it since I use sweeter apples like pink lady, or the like. I also throw in some lemon juice for a bit of tartness or a couple of granny smith apples, and a dash of cinnamon. Usually that's all it needs. Hope it is fixable!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    As a Brit, I'm intrigued about 'apple sauce' being mentioned a lot in USA. We have it with roast pork, but what else do you do with it?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    As a Brit, I'm intrigued about 'apple sauce' being mentioned a lot in USA. We have it with roast pork, but what else do you do with it?

It's sweet and low calorie, so I consider it dessert. I love apple pie (very American dessert!), and with the right spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and a bit of allspice) I can "pretend" I'm having apple pie without all the calories and fat. Honestly, I don't make it all the time. I went apple picking with my kids last weekend and ended up with a ton of apples, so I'm just looking for ways to cook and freeze them before they go bad.

So...I added some tart apples and lots of lemon juice, and it's not too sweet now. Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Applesauce can be used so many different ways. I keep some on hand for times when I'm sick at my stomach and need to follow the BRAT diet for a few days ... Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea ... I also like it mixed in with my breakfast oatmeal, as part of the fat in a baked dessert, with cottage cheese for a light meal, on top of toast buttered with a nut butter, and as a side for meat as you do in the UK. Try it some of these ways. OH ... I never sweeten my applesauce but I do sometimes add spices to it.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You can also use it to replace the oil/butter in baking recipes to reduce the amount of fat and calories.
  • srankara2004
    srankara2004 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mixing the really sweet stuff with a jar of unsweetened applesauce might make it more enjoyable overall; it ruins the homemade effect though.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You know, I would freeze some of it. You can freeze it in ice cube containers. Then place the cubes in a ziplock baggie. Use it in recipes.

You can also add more apple and lemon juice. I think it's good to try new recipes. I love to cook and bake.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Its really good if you get the Plain Yogurt and mix in some of that and a little cinnamon.

What an interesting idea!!!
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Applesauce can be used so many different ways. I keep some on hand for times when I'm sick at my stomach and need to follow the BRAT diet for a few days ... Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tea ... I also like it mixed in with my breakfast oatmeal, as part of the fat in a baked dessert, with cottage cheese for a light meal, on top of toast buttered with a nut butter, and as a side for meat as you do in the UK. Try it some of these ways. OH ... I never sweeten my applesauce but I do sometimes add spices to it.

I am a huge fan of the BRAT diet when me or something else in my household is feeling under the weather. However, over here we consider it "Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast" (though I am a tea junkie!) because we're under the assumption too much tea should not be consumed when sick (caffeine/depletes potassium) mainly because my doctor would always scold my obsessive tea drinking while being sick because it's "dehydrating".

I'm wondering now if the BRAT changes by region! Hahaha my italian family would probably make it "Baccala, Rigatoni, Antipasto, and Tartufo!" That'll fix anyone up right :laugh: :drinker:
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You are correct ... it is TOAST and not Tea ..... the tea got in there cause that's why my mom always gave us ... tea with honey and lemon in it was a staple sick food in hour house.