ARGH I don't want to cook!!

Options
I dislike cooking. I'm not bad at it, but not great either - just not interested. It's the last thing I want to do in my spare time.

Our kitchen is teeny tiny. Even preparing a simple meal is a pain because there's no bench space.
Then there's the dishes! Plus all sorts of measuring utensils to make sure I'm logging food correctly.

ARGH!! :grumble:

For someone who is not a natural cook, I've been doing pretty well for the past month, but am totally not in the mood tonight, with no back up plan! This is where pizza would normally show up, but I can't let that happen!

Anyone else struggle with cooking? Any helpful suggestions to make it simple... or less frequent... or even fun? :happy:

Replies

• LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I go on cooking jags, where I'll spend an hour or so cooking every few days so I can just heat up leftovers the rest of the time. If I buy 4 hamburger patties I cook them all at the same time. Then I can preload the calories in my diary, too.

Keep it simple when I don't have a lot of time. I save the complicated dishes for the weekend. Prep whatever you can ahead. As soon as I get home from the store all produce gets washed and prepped then put away. Then when I'm tired everything goes together fast because most of the mise en place is done.

I used to sling hash for a living.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Cook in bulk and freeze in portions. It takes about the same time to cook 2 serves as it does 8 serves plus you only have to wash up the once.
  • CindyArlene
    CindyArlene Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    My backup plan is those boxes of fish / chicken portions you can cook in the oven. I just put the fish and veggies on a baking tray and put it in the oven, set a timer and then go do something else until its done. Quick and easy!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yeh I hte cooking. Everything i ake takes me 20 mins...because anything longer jsut puts me off. I eat a few ready meals on the really busy days.....not the best for me but I know the cals and its working for me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I cook all of my protein on one day on the weekend. Normally, I'll fire up the grill on Sunday and cook enough chicken/steak/pork for the entire week. Portion it out. Lunches are done. You can use the same thing for dinner... just pair up a side with something and roll on with it.

It isn't hard.

It really isn't that time consuming.

Crockpots work well, too.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm another fan of cooking ahead. I live alone, and if I find a freezeable recipe I like that serves four, I'll make the whole thing and freeze 3 servings. That way I always have 'ready meals' in the freezer, but as they're home-cooked I know they're not full of junk and additives. A slow cooker is also good, just throw everything in and let it cook by itself while you get on with your day.
  • claston77
    claston77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This One Pot Pasta is fantastic for the nights you're describing and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand:

http://www.marthastewart.com/978784/one-pan-pasta

This recipe is the basic idea but if you Google One Pot Pasta you'll come up with all sorts of variations. Searching "one pot meals" or "easy casseroles" might help you break out of your don't like cooking shell as well. I second the crockpot idea as well, rice cooker meals are also great as well.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Cook in bulk and freeze in portions. It takes about the same time to cook 2 serves as it does 8 serves plus you only have to wash up the once.

^^^^This

I don't have a working kitchen so I just visit my brother or my parents and leave them some as payment for the use of theirs.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't want to cook either sometimes. That's why I have a rice and vegetable cooker to do it for me. I do cook chicken though. It's easy to make, just put it under the grill or cut it up and pan fry it in some olive or coconut oil. Chocolate is already made so nothing needs to be done there.
  • Mongognom
    Mongognom Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm just the same! Sometimes I don't want to make dinner and sometimes I just don't want warm food. I do one of two things:

- I have a sandwich day. Where I try to make them with as much veggies and fruit as possible.
    - I have emergency portion bags of soup in the fridge.
  • QuietRain
    QuietRain Posts: 157
    Options
    Sundays are my cooking days.
    I normally roast a chicken and make a crock pot meal. Then the rest of the week I'll make a few bulk rice portions (in a rice cooker) to use with the roasted chicken and whatever I felt like slow cooking.
    There's still some food prep to do, like veggie chopping and food reheat, but it's not as big of an ordeal like making everything from scratch for the meal.

I basically live off of soups / stews + rice or chicken + rice and veggies, sometimes in a wrap. And salads.
  • MizSookeh
    MizSookeh Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions, thanks all!

Sunday has always been hangover day, though maybe now I'm drinking much less, it can become cooking day. :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    We just nuke veggies, boil some noodles or make couscous in the microwave, then cook meat or fish (hubby grills or we bake it or pan fry it). Lazy cooks here. Even I can do it (well, except the grilling).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie chicken from grocery store and a microwave baked sweet potato ( about 4 minutes on high).
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches are your friend.... doesn't have to be standard lunch meat either. For example:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/prosciutto-fresh-fig-manchego-sandwiches-10000002011011/

No cooking required....