How long should I be at the gym?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I go until I am done.

This.

I run and lift on alternating days. Lifting is usually about 30-45 minutes; running depends on how far I'm going, but typically between 30-60 minutes (or 3-6 miles).

And that's what I like best about working out from home. I'm done when I'm done, and that's that. When I belonged to a gym, I felt compelled to stay there at least an hour, because I didn't want to spend more time commuting to and from the gym than I actually spent inside it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    The whole time.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    For me 30min for cardio, 45 for lifting.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your workout agenda (exercise, sets, and reps) and how it takes to complete them. :smile:
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!!

I started out going for an hour but then I bumped it up to 1 & 1/2hrs and now I've been going 2hrs but I was told that was too much(I do at least 90mins of cardio everyday at home on top of this). I kinda wing it when I'm there, I'm not on any program. I usually only give myself 30secs between sets and I just go straight from one exercise to the next. Since someone told me 2hrs was too much, I was just wondering what a good amount was
    2 hrs plus all that cardio is overkill. Why do you exercise so much??? That's 3.5 hrs???

Once I set the bar so high, I feel like I have to at least do that the next time so 1hr becomes 2, and 2 becomes 3, etc. I've been told by multiple ppl it's too much. I was thinking of scaling back so that's why I was curious what others did
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how much time I have to spare. I am doing this program at the ymca called actitrax and it calls for 20 mins of cardio at least and weights which takes me close to an hour cause I am still learning where the machines and what the workouts are. So I am there at least an hour or more but I love to have a full 2 hours at the gym. 20 mins for cardio doesn't feel like enough for me.
  • quetta3112
    Options
    I was told 20-30 mins of strength training is good
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I started out going for an hour but then I bumped it up to 1 & 1/2hrs and now I've been going 2hrs but I was told that was too much(I do at least 90mins of cardio everyday at home on top of this). I kinda wing it when I'm there, I'm not on any program. I usually only give myself 30secs between sets and I just go straight from one exercise to the next. Since someone told me 2hrs was too much, I was just wondering what a good amount was
    2 hrs plus all that cardio is overkill. Why do you exercise so much??? That's 3.5 hrs???

Once I set the bar so high, I feel like I have to at least do that the next time so 1hr becomes 2, and 2 becomes 3, etc. I've been told by multiple ppl it's too much. I was thinking of scaling back so that's why I was curious what others did

Definitely scale back. If you are only taking 30 second rests between sets you are turning your resistance training into cardio as well. I bet you are doing high reps too, right?

Check out a program like Stronglifts, Starting Strength or NROLFW. Put the weight up, the reps down, and increase your rest periods. Keep lifting as lifting, and keep cardio as cardio.

I promise that unless you are taking steroids and/or growth hormones, you are not going to get 'bulky'.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I agree that it depends on the program you're on. My trainer can destroy me in 30-40 mins. If I go to the gym on my own, I'm usually there for about an hour. But I get more volume of exercise in during the shorter sessions with the trainer.

This for me. My trainer gives me a different workout for each day, my time in the gym depends on that. Usually not in the gym for more than an hour.
  • alienaliens
    alienaliens Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Due to injuries, I can't do weight training anymore. So I have a programme of one hour of jivamukti yoga (which is pretty intense and strength training for a class - I walk out drenched in sweat and no, it's not heated yoga); one hour of bootcamp reformer pilates (another pretty intense, strength and core training class) and then a couple of hours of spin and a dynamic yoga class every other week on my weekends. So far, so good. I am the most advanced person in my classes and my strength is better than ever before.

good for you! I love hearing what people do when they don't lift heavy
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options

Definitely scale back. If you are only taking 30 second rests between sets you are turning your resistance training into cardio as well. I bet you are doing high reps too, right?

Check out a program like Stronglifts, Starting Strength or NROLFW. Put the weight up, the reps down, and increase your rest periods. Keep lifting as lifting, and keep cardio as cardio.

I promise that unless you are taking steroids and/or growth hormones, you are not going to get 'bulky'.

Some of them are higher reps like the leg press... I try not to go over 180lbs because going higher seems to hurt my back. Other exercises like the lat pull down I only do like 5 sets, 10 reps of 60lbs... Like w/ those, should I increase the weight and do less? How long should rest periods be?
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every other day for strength training... I'm wondering if there is a certain amount of time I should spend there? What's considered too much? Does it stop being beneficial after so long.. More isn't really better?

Thanks for any advice!

how long does it take to complete the total amount of sets and reps in the program that you're following?

....wait, you are using a solid, full body resistance training program, aren't you? you aren't just going in and winging it, doing a lil of this and a lil of that, are you? hello? is this thing on?

I follow the boys around and do what they're doing. Except that thing where they lift the barbell off the floor, because ewww calluses.

^^seriously?? wow. Bet you put full makeup on too before you go work out, huh? :noway:
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    However long it takes for you to get your heart pumping. I have been doing about 40-45 mins.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Until you finish your routine silly
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have spoken to two personal trainers and both have told me that it is quality over quantity. they have said that you really shouldn't be in the gym for longer than an hour because you start to do more damage than good. Their advice to me was to push yourself like crazy for one hour and then stop, make sure you have rest days too.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Some of them are higher reps like the leg press... I try not to go over 180lbs because going higher seems to hurt my back. Other exercises like the lat pull down I only do like 5 sets, 10 reps of 60lbs... Like w/ those, should I increase the weight and do less? How long should rest periods be?

For maximum benefit, it's generally recommended that you lift the maximum you can for the reps you are doing. i.e. you should feel like you'd fail rep eleven. Once you are lifting at this sort of weight, your rest periods will extend naturally, simply because you'll need them.

The exact number of reps you do depends on your goal. Roughly speaking -

Under 6 reps - primarily strength
    7 to 12 reps - primarily growth
    12+ reps - primarily endurance

Though each range will contribute something to all three goals.

I urge you to check out some expert literature, and to consider training with free weights instead of machines. I just wasted nearly a year on machines, and wish I had used free weights from the beginning.
  • kaogirlup
    Options
    I typically finish an upper body workout in 30 minutes (17 exercises, 12 reps, 2 sets), lower body with abs in 50 minutes (10 lower body exercises, 15 - 20 reps, 2 sets / 6 ab exercises, 2 - 25 reps, 2 sets). I do each workout twice a week...and cardio 2 - 3 times a week.

Should probably add abs to my upper body workouts, too, but it's usually on my lunch break...so there's a time crunch involved.
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I lift for about 45 minutes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Overall time is about next to irrelevant when it comes to lifting. Just because you spend more time doesnt mean its better.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    For maximum benefit, it's generally recommended that you lift the maximum you can for the reps you are doing. i.e. you should feel like you'd fail rep eleven. Once you are lifting at this sort of weight, your rest periods will extend naturally, simply because you'll need them.

The exact number of reps you do depends on your goal. Roughly speaking -

Under 6 reps - primarily strength
    7 to 12 reps - primarily growth
    12+ reps - primarily endurance

Though each range will contribute something to all three goals.

I urge you to check out some expert literature, and to consider training with free weights instead of machines. I just wasted nearly a year on machines, and wish I had used free weights from the beginning.

What do you mean you wasted a yr on machines? I've already lost inches since starting at the gym. I've read a lot of people say free weights are better... I don't get why?