Starving

Options

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Stay out of McDonalds for one... ????

You don't have to stay out of McDonalds.
    But I do realize if a person goes there they risk you calling them a McFatty. :sick:
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body eat when hungry,but don't over indulge.Drink a big glass of water if your still hungry then you probably need to eat...Then you know it's not just in your mind.Your metabolism is probably higher then you think or your activity level may not be set right.Eat a apple?
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just a lettuce wrap. 200 calories for both wraps total. Lettuce, sliced ham, sprinkle parmesan cheese, 1 tsp of cesar dressing. Delish. I work a sedentary office job as well. Im always hungry. I would normaly have eaten the donuts in the break room when feeling as hungry as i just was but i am so proud and pretty satisfied with my lettuce wraps. Just get creative. you can do it.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    more water, more protein, less fat, less carb. That should be more filling.

Carbs and fats fill you up! A lot actually. Eat fiber. Fiber is a proven filler actually.

Carbs won't fill you up long term...

Honestly get into ketosis. Low carb it- your hunger will stop, and your fat will shed off like crazy. 120 grams of protein is more than enough, and fill up on fat.

Check out the info Brad Pilon & Matin Berkhan talk about. It'll help you greatly! Once going into ketosis I started shedding 3-4 lbs a week with no hunger at all. There are many ways to get to your goal, but this is the easiest way by far... Just takes some diet planning.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    my height is 5'5. I want to lose one pound per week and that's what mfp gave me

I'd change it to .5 a week to give yourself more calories to work with.

I'd also eat a real breakfast instead of protein powder if you aren't working out. Eggs and Bacon IMO are really filling. I make up a huge batch ( with veggies cooked in the eggs ) and that gets me a super filling breakfast for 400ish calories daily.
  • crempel83
    Options
    I say add lots of veggies to your meals they help fill you up and are low calorie. And take the stairs if you have them in the building and try and break up your sitting activity helps you feel fuller, even if you just go for a walk around the block at lunch time. I read about a study where they found that sitting actually makes you feel hungrier.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    EAT!!!
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Try adding in psyllium husks. It's pretty much all fiber, and has no digestible calories. I'd try drinking a shot of it 1 hr before eating your meal, and it should help a bit.

Other than that, eat low calorie, high nutrient foods. You can fill a salad bowl full of greens, veggies a bit of fruit etc and it will fill you up nooo problem. Add a bit of protein on top like nuts (be careful, very calorie-dense), tempeh, or lean meat. Meals like that actually make me feel stuffed.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Stay away from popcorn while you are getting used to a calorie reduction, it's a trap! Very low calorie but it will fill up your stomach preventing it from shrinking as you eat less. (A smaller stomach will reduce some of those hunger pangs.) Also, bananas, popcorn, oatmeal and granola bars are all examples of carbohydrate-rich snacks, not protein. (They are also fine to eat if they fit in your macros, but you said you wanted more protein) Green veggies will give you fiber without so many carbs.

Try:

green beans, snow peas, cucumbers, broccoli, salads etc for fiber
    cottage cheese, tuna, turkey, chicken breast, hard boiled eggs for protein (I'm trying to think about snack friendly items but any form of meat will work)

BUT: I agree with the general sentiment that you have probably cut your calories too low. Haven't read the whole thread yet, but depending on how tall you are and how much you weigh, 1500 calories sounds itty bitty for a 21 year old male. I am a 40 year old 5 foot tall female and I'm losing weight on 1390-1800 calories a day depending on exercise.

any food examples i can get for fiber and protein?
    I did some research for snack foods and i got these
    banana
    3 c air popped corn
    quacker instant oat meal
    activia vanilla
    granola bar
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Stay away from popcorn while you are getting used to a calorie reduction, it's a trap! Very low calorie but it will fill up your stomach preventing it from shrinking as you eat less. (A smaller stomach will reduce some of those hunger pangs.)

Uh. What? No.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    more veg. its low cal and fills you up more :)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Um, at the risk of having tomatoes thrown at me, I peeked at your diary entries, and honestly? It's no wonder you are starving. You're getting the calories in, but when you have something like one pork rib for three hundred and seventy calories? You've got a rotisserie chicken entry that is 160 calories for a 1-3 ounce serving (times two)...I am fairly certain that one ounce of chicken has less calories than three ounces of chicken, so....If you had two servings for 320 calories, was it 2 ounces or 6 ounces?

Maybe make some choices that are more filling. You can eat a crap ton of cooked (or raw) veggies with 4 ounces of lean protein for a whole lot less calories than you can a fast food burger, and you will have extra calories to play with later.

I'd be bouncing off the walls and starving, too, if I ate how your diary reads. It's all about making educated choices, and kind of prioritizing your food. Do you want four items for your 1500 calories, or a bunch that you can spread out over three meals?

I'm just askin'... :smile:

Edited because I REALLY do know the difference between "for" and "four," LOL...
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    any food examples i can get for fiber and protein?
    I did some research for snack foods and i got these
    banana
    3 c air popped corn
    quacker instant oat meal
    activia vanilla
    granola bar

Veggies veggies veggies
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    my height is 5'5. I want to lose one pound per week and that's what mfp gave me

Seriously?

I'm a 5'3", 39 yr old woman with a desk job that lifts weights once a week and am otherwise sedentary. I started at the high end of the healthy BMI range. I ate the same amt. you are and lost 1 lb/wk.

MFP gave me 1250 Cals, which I knew was BS. Plus, I'd have been starving. Just about every other TDEE calculator I tried gave me a higher and (as proven) much better estimate for me. Try another TDEE calculator and definitely eat more.

ETA: If you don't have much to lose, you're going to find that you have to practically (and maybe literally) starve yourself to lose 1 lb a week. I'm eating the same amt I was before, but since I've lost about 20lbs, now I'm only dropping a lb a month which is to be expected. I could adjust my intake down to speed things up, but not enough to be safely seeing 1 lb per wk again unless I also up my exercise.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    One ounce of cheese has about the same number of calories but takes up much less space and doesn't feed the impulse to want to sit around and pop salty snacks in your mouth all day. Your mileage may vary, but I find that when I stay away from high volume low calorie snacks I'm not as hungry.
    Stay away from popcorn while you are getting used to a calorie reduction, it's a trap! Very low calorie but it will fill up your stomach preventing it from shrinking as you eat less. (A smaller stomach will reduce some of those hunger pangs.)

Uh. What? No.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Don't be lazy.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    On what basis did you decide 1500 calories is acceptable for a reasonably lean person such as yourself?

This. Even being sedentary you could, most likely should, be eating more to maintain your weight. Judging by your profile picture there isn't much to lose if weight loss actually is your goal.

^this x 100.

All the advice about which macro fills you up longer does not apply to this case. He needs to eat more unless he's 4 ft tall.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Stay away from popcorn while you are getting used to a calorie reduction, it's a trap! Very low calorie but it will fill up your stomach preventing it from shrinking as you eat less.

That's plain silly. Any food is fine in moderation. :wink:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Matthew,

Is that you in your profile picture as you are now? If so, you do not need to lose weight.

You need to eat more calories.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    more water, more protein, less fat, less carb. That should be more filling.

He's 21, male, and eating 1500...and that's your advice?

Good job...