Skip carbs?

Options
Is it okay to skip all the carbs? No pasta, potatos and stuff like that?

Replies

• MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Completely fine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    ALL the carbs? Fruits and veg? Beans and lentils?

By all means experiemnt a bit with reducing your carbs, and see how your body reacts. But there is absolutely no need to eliminate them totally.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Carbs help fuel the brain. If you are a diabetic or advised by your doctor to cut back on carbs/sugars, then ok. But if not, carbs are fine.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some medical condition which requires it, there is absolutely no reason to cut out an entire group of nutrients. You CAN do it but it will just make eating 'normally' harder so unless you are planning on never eating carbs again for the rest of your life you may wish to reconsider that path.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have been doing that since I joined up & it's working for me ! Obviously there are still carbs in other foods like fruit & veg but they are the good carbs . I saw my endocrinologist on Monday - told him what I was doing & he said that was brilliant & to keep going !
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

skipping all carbs, which would include among other things also fruit, vegetables, legumes/pulses etc is not only very difficult to do, but most of all is also very unhealthy. With such a plan you also skip fiber and many vitamins and nutrients. I would not recommend it. Limit processed carbs...yes. But all of them is a recipe for disaster.
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't skip them entirely.

Maybe just focus on eating the most nutritionally dense carbs such as veggies, fruits, nuts & seeds.

Carbs don't have to be your enemy
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Skipping most carbs is fine. Fat and protein are essential marcro's carbs not so much. The only thing I would make sure is that you are still getting enough fiber, vitamins and minerals.
  • Thinandfitdiary
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. I do only mean carbs like pasta, rice, bread, potatos and so. I do eat oatmeal, fruit, veggies and nuts. But I Believe those might be the good carbs.
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Carbs help make your brain function the way that it is supposed to. Not all carbs are created equally though. If you want to cut out white rice and bread good for you but I would still get carbs from fruit, veggies and whole grains. I was advised by my Doctor to eat lower carbs but that still puts me at like 50% carbs for my daily caloric intake.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. I do only mean carbs like pasta, rice, bread, potatos and so. I do eat oatmeal, fruit, veggies and nuts. But I Believe those might be the good carbs.

No such thing are "good" or "bad" carbs. If you mean they don't have much nutrition in them, then okay, but that doesn't mean bad. But some of what you pointed to do have nutrition. Potatoes and a good source of fiber (with the skin on) and potassium.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

Why?
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I stay away from pasta, breads, etc. I do eat beans, fruits and veggies.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Some carbs are necessary for body function. Skip refined/simple carbs and stick with complex carbs like brown rice, veggies, lentils, whole grains etc. Do NOT cut carbs out completely or you will suffer from health problems later on.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

Oh! you mean only the high glycemic carbs. Yes, by all means, cut back on those. If you really want to go bonkers, try the Paleo eating plan. It eliminates all grains and most fruits, too. People have seen a great deal of success with the Paleo plan.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on never eating those types of carbs ever again? If not, then it might be more effective in the long run to simply learn how to eat potatoes, etc in moderation than completely cutting them out of your diet. *shrug* But to each their own.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

No such thing are "good" or "bad" carbs. If you mean they don't have much nutrition in them, then okay, but that doesn't mean bad. But some of what you pointed to do have nutrition. Potatoes and a good source of fiber (with the skin on) and potassium.

Exactly, just simple or complex. Simple break down quickly into glucose which your body uses what it can and stores the rest. Complex carbs break down slower allowing the body to use more of them instead of just storing the excess.
  • prissy_aggie
    Options
    If you are to just cut back on carbs, try eating one meal without any carbs at all. Its working for me I've been working with a dietian, that comes free with a lot of health care plans, and I dont even miss eating bread with every meal or pasta everynight.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    No just , just consume complex carbs, oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes... All the other stuff you should ditch forever.. eat your healthy carbs at breakfast, snack, lunch, I do not eat anything but veggie and nut/protein carbs for dinner.