Working out with a cold

Options
Should be people lay off exercise when they're sick, or is exercise (sweating, etc) good for a cold?

Replies

• james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe when your body is sick, you should not putting it under stress. It needs time and energy to recover quicker.
  • lmissinsanity
    Options
    You run the risk of damaging your heart if you workout with a cold. Just not worth it IMHO.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If it's neck up and feels more like allergies and I feel fine, then I will still workout. Neck down, no way, I don't mess with chest colds. If you're really sick and don't feel well, please don't go to the gym if that's where you work out.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    neck up rule is perfect, but really please stay away from the gym. Run, bike or do something where you aren't interacting with people. If you are sick, stay away.

I was at the gym this morning and the one spin bike that I like using was taken. No problem with that, first come first served. But I took a different bike and proceeded to listen to the guy on the spin bike cough and hack for 11 more minutes before he finally left. I gave him an appropriate dirty look and was happy to finish the last 40 minutes of my bike w/o that kind of nonsense.
  • Amaliaoami
    Options
    You all have a good point about the gym. Also, I'll keep that rule the neck up rule in mind. Thanks everyone.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You run the risk of damaging your heart if you workout with a cold. Just not worth it IMHO.

You have something to support this claim?

Neck up, work out.
    Neck down, rest.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I also subscribe to the neck up/down theorem:

Head = suck it up and go.
    Chest = lots of liquids, hack that crap up and live to fight another day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    IMO, you have to know your body.

IME, if it's just a cold, I can usually sweat it out and sleep it off. If it's more than a run-of-the-mill cold, I'll generally rest, or eat least dial back the workouts significantly.

Basically, once I have a fever and/or my balance is affected, that's when I stop. No fever, no balance issues, then I work through it.
  • w292737
    w292737 Posts: 25
    Options
    I dont' work out when sick. I suually can't breathe well, have a fever, and all together feel like poo.