Need some food ideas

Options
Hi, I am starting a weight loss competition at work today and ironically, it comes on the heels of a health assessment I had to do at work a couple of weeks ago where I am at pre-hypertension, pre-diabetic, overweight, and deficient good cholesterol stages. I was already planning on starting a weight loss program but this helps my motivation! In the past, I did strict cardio where I lost 49 pounds in 4 months following a weight watcher's diet.

Anyway, I am looking for ideas on breaking down my "3 meal a day" routine to something like 5-6 small meals. I am unsure what to do when it comes to eating throughout the day. Since I will be doing cardio/weight lifting workouts, I have decided to start off the morning with the GNC Amp 100% Whey Protein mix as my breakfast. I have a co-worker who suggested mixing oatmeal with black beans and chicken and I also bought some granola for say, another small meal/snack during the day. But, what else can I do for meals? Are there any good websites/resources that suggest what to do for my weight loss/workout, or what works for you? Also, what fruit is good for my diet? I don't want to eat too much sugar as I am working to drop at least 30 pounds in three months and hoping to drop 50 more by June.

Thanks,
Brian

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Eat real food, eat at a deficit, and exercise/lift weights.. if your doing it just to win a competition and plan on eating low calories again.. your just going to end up back here next year for another competition...

There are alot of good resources on here, maybe its time you make this a lifestyle change..
  • amberward560
    Options
    Weight loss competitions can be fun but I like to think about my eating habits as a long term choice. I have found most dietary success when I focus on high protein meals. I know that for a while people were focusing on the 5-6 meals so you eat all day plan but for me, that just ended up being more calories consumed. I try to pack my three meals full of lean protein and veggies. Some examples:

Greek yogurt and fruit
    Egg whites and bell pepper scramble
    Chicken, Quina and broccoli salad
    Fill a bell pepper with tuna salad ( try mixing your tuna with onions and celery and plain Greek yogurt)

Good luck to you!
  • bwurtzel
    bwurtzel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. @Greenrun99, no, this is for real now. The numbers I received back from my health assessment literally scared the heck out of me. I'm doing this long term and not just for the competition. I have to do this now for my family and I promised my Boy Scout troop I would be able to complete the summer camp swim test.

@Amberward560 or others, what are good fruits to eat that don't have a lot of sugar in them or are good for dieting? I don't want to be consuming a lot of sugar in a day.
  • rjgvt
    rjgvt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Strawberries and raspberries are a lot lower in sugar than apples and bananas.
  • alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree...strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are powerhouses full of nutritional value and are lower in sugar.
  • hninsf
    hninsf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I already gave you my advice, but here's a chart from Harvard Health about glycemic indexes. If eating fruit as a snack, I would suggest eating fruit with a lower glycemic index.

Also, just a preference, but I choose to avoid overly processed food b/c they are higher in sodium, sugar and saturated fat content.

As with anything in life, balance is key after you reach your goal weight...very proud that you are making a choice to do this for yourself and your family. It is a responsible decision that I hope will pay off for years to come, Brian! I want to have my friends alive and around me when I'm old and grey ;-)