Cooking Challenge: Chickpeas

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
This is the announcement of the first in the series of cooking challenges! Every week I'll post a new challenge with an ingredient or theme. If you want to suggest ingredients/themes for the challenge make a comment here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/125826-cooking-challenge (That's going to be the official cooking challenge post)

garbanzo6.jpg?w=218&h=120

This week's theme is CHICKPEAS (also known as garbanzo beans)!

Did you know that a cup of chickpeas delivers half the daily fiber requirement? They also help reduce cholesterol and heart disease while also aiding in digestion.

Chickpeas tend to be most popular in India, North Africa, Spain, and southern France and are often used in ethnic cuisine

Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, canned), 1 cup (240g)
Calories: 286
Protein: 11.8g
Carbohydrate: 54.3g
Total Fat: 2.7g
Fiber: 10.5g
*Excellent source of: Folate (160mcg), Vitamin B6 (1.13mg), Vitamin C (9mg), and Zinc (2.54mg)

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. I haven't considered whether we should vote for a winner or not (suggestions?) but each week a new challenge will be given. It's up to you to make something delicious! If you make something after the week challenge is over, feel free to post it anyway for reference for other people.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

The next challenge will be posted next Saturday. :)

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Can't wait! Should we post our results here? This gives me lots to think about... I add chick peas to everything! Should they be the main ingredient (feature) or just one of the major components of the dish?
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Can't wait! Should we post our results here? This gives me lots to think about... I add chick peas to everything! Should they be the main ingredient (feature) or just one of the major components of the dish?

Yeah! Post the results into this post so everything is easy to find!
    The chickpeas can either be a secondary component or the main ingredient. Totally up to you!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I love it! Just bought some dried garbanzo beans so I have been looking for recipes... I'm sure I will get lots here!

Maybe the reward can be that the winner gets to pick the next week's cooking challenge?
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I love it! Just bought some dried garbanzo beans so I have been looking for recipes... I'm sure I will get lots here!

Maybe the reward can be that the winner gets to pick the next week's cooking challenge?

That's definitely a good reward!
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    I love chickpeas. Making a dish with it tomorrow. Unfortunately, it is my own recipe, made with ground turkey breast, but I don't know all of the info required to post. I have shared the dish with a good friend and she loves it. I grew up eating chickpeas..
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I love chickpeas. Making a dish with it tomorrow. Unfortunately, it is my own recipe, made with ground turkey breast, but I don't know all of the info required to post. I have shared the dish with a good friend and she loves it. I grew up eating chickpeas..

If you click on the food tab and then on the recipes link you can input all the ingredients and it will tell you the caloric value of the dish. :)
  • meagalayne
    Options

Ooo... And the plot thickens! Great reward :D Gosh I'm excited about this. It will have to wait for Tuesday though when I finally have time to devote to cooking!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Ooh I love chickpeas too! But I have never cooked with them before ^^; I will have to go find some... I only know of one grocery store here so I hope they have it!!
    Fun Fact: in Chinese, chickpeas are called Falcon/Eagle Mouth/Beak Beans/Peas :bigsmile: I had to go translate it so I can ask for it
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Chick peas!! Great choice :) I have a can or two of them in my pantry already from over the summer when they were on sale. Haven't cooked with them yet... but I do have a basic recipe (Chickpea Pasta with Almonds and Parmesan) from a few years ago when I was living with a high school friend for a summer job. If I remember correctly, it's a little bland, so if I try it, I'm going to make some additions.

But that brings me to a question - should the recipes we make for this challenge be new ones that we've never used before?
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Chick peas!! Great choice :) I have a can or two of them in my pantry already from over the summer when they were on sale. Haven't cooked with them yet... but I do have a basic recipe (Chickpea Pasta with Almonds and Parmesan) from a few years ago when I was living with a high school friend for a summer job. If I remember correctly, it's a little bland, so if I try it, I'm going to make some additions.

But that brings me to a question - should the recipes we make for this challenge be new ones that we've never used before?

Either way!
  • shannon428
    Options
    Tonight, I am looking forward to making "Chickpeas and Greens with Moroccan Spices" out of Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook. I can't wait to report on the results. I, admittedly, am not a fan of whole chickpeas. I've really only been able to eat them as hummus. So, we'll see how this goes.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Tonight, I am looking forward to making "Chickpeas and Greens with Moroccan Spices" out of Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone cookbook. I can't wait to report on the results. I, admittedly, am not a fan of whole chickpeas. I've really only been able to eat them as hummus. So, we'll see how this goes.

Yay!! I hope you like them! I'm going to make something for lunch tomorrow with mine, though I'm not sure what yet.
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I might have to wait until next round to cook...chickpeas are something i have never seen around here. I will look for them, and see what i can whip up, though, i LOVE cooking with new things!
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    Love this idea! I'll start looking up receipes tonight, and have something to wow you with later this week!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I might have to wait until next round to cook...chickpeas are something i have never seen around here. I will look for them, and see what i can whip up, though, i LOVE cooking with new things!

Sometimes they're called garbanzo beans. So if you can find those, you're set!
    :)
  • DownHomeGal
    Options
    I posted this on the original thread, but I'll post it here too.

I LOVE to cook! I'm totally in to the idea of a cooking challenge. Especially with using a theme ingredient. Very fun!

What about falafels? When I think chickpeas, I think falafels. Yummy. I'll post my recipe. The calories are about 325 calories for 3 balls. My favorite way to eat it is on a bed of romaine lettuce and topped with chopped fresh tomato, thinly sliced red onion, a wee bit of feta, and of course tzatziki sauce (I'll post that recipe too). All together it's about 450 calories. You can also put it on a pita, if you like. It seems like a lot of ingredients, but most of them are things that you'll probably already have on hand.

Falafels:
    1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas beans, rinsed and drained
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1 egg white
    salt and pepper to taste
    olive oil

Mash the garbanzo beans in a large bowl. Stir in the onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley cumin, baking powder, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Do not be afraid to use your hands. Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch patties. If the mixture does not hold together, add a little water. Mixture should not be crumbly at all, otherwise, it won't hold together when you bake it.

Place your patties on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush both sides of each patty with a very thin coat of olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 - 20 min, flipping halfway through. Both sides should be nice and golden brown, and the insides soft and delicious.

Tzatziki sauce:
    1 (8 oz) container of Greek yogurt
    1/2 small cucumber seeded and finely chopped
    2 Tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
    1 - 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (depending on how "lemony" you like it)
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix all of the ingredients together and let it sit for at least 1 hour before serving.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options

Not sure where you are... but around here they are found with the canned beans (as chickpeas) or with the dried beans (packaged as garbanzo beans).
  • sabiii
    sabiii Posts: 1
    Options
    My favorite chick pea recipe from five ingredient fix. makes a fantastic snack to keep on hand when you crave something salty/savory

Spicy Roasted Chick Peas

Ingredients

* 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
    * 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    * Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
    * Kosher salt

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Rinse and drain the chickpeas and dry by rolling them around in a kitchen towel. Combine the oil, paprika cumin, cayenne and salt in a large bowl. Add chickpeas and toss to coat evenly. Transfer the chickpeas to a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Bake until golden and crispy, 25 to 35 minutes, shaking the tray to toss after 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the chickpeas to a serving bowl.
  • shannon428
    Options
    I posted this on the original thread, but I'll post it here too.

I LOVE to cook! I'm totally in to the idea of a cooking challenge. Especially with using a theme ingredient. Very fun!

What about falafels? ....

Mmmmm.... I made falafels last night, but it was from the box. Your recipe sounds delish.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Tomorrow, on the menu for lunch - Channa Masala! Kind of making it on my fly after having read through a bunch of different recipes online. Want to minimize the oil and maximize the masala. I'll post the recipe I end up using and my results tomorrow night. Hope it turns out! I'm equally tempted to make an Ethiopian dish called Shuro Wat, but I'll need to find a recipe. We'll see what I'm feeling like tomorrow, I guess! haha