Desk Job - Exercises?????

Options
I have a 6.5 hour/day desk job and I am starting to get sick of sitting for a living. Does anyone know of any exercises I can do while sitting at my desk??? All ideas are welcomed!!! MY *kitten* HURTS!!!

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You could try doing yoga exercises at your desk:http://www.yogajournal.com/officeyoga/

Every 20 minutes, get up and walk, or at least stretch. Walk during your lunch break. Take the stairs. Those are all small ways to get exercise during the day.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    See if your firm will buy a standing desk.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm at a desk 8-9 hours a day (sometimes 12 during crazy weeks). I make sure to get up and take a quick walk around the office every hour and a half, even if that just means walking to the bathroom or to refill my water bottle. My co-workers and I go on a 15 minute walk almost every morning at 10am, and sometimes fit in another around 3pm.

As far as exercises away from the desk, I've noticed that working my core has helped A TON with soreness. Try Jillian Michael's Yoga Inferno. I do it 1-2 times a week and it is seriously making a difference.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you have a door you can shut? I often close my door and do squats, lunges, pushups, tricep dips (off my desk w/ feet in chair) or just any type of movement that doesn't involve jumping (I'm not on the ground floor) for a few minutes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    See if your firm will buy a standing desk.

A standing desk? As in one would have to stand all day? I'd go for one of the balance ball chairs over that. Or can the desk be adjusted for standing some and sitting some?
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. I try to get up and move every hour. Go to the bathroom and do push ups against the wall, stand and do high knees, toe touches...anything that will get me WOKE UP and moving helps. Can practice kegels and holding your stomach in for so many seconds. Also squeezing your glutes together really helps.. tapping your toes at the desk and shaking your knees is a good habit. They sell bicycles that fit under your desk. I tried one but my desk was too low and my knees you hit
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    These are all awesome suggestions! Thanks ladies!
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    the majority of my walking i do during work, i get at least a mile in during lunch and i could get a half mile during breaks if i choose too. :)
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lunch break but I am going to start getting up once every 30 mins to stretch and walk around a bit.... just to get started. I am soo sick of sititng for a job.
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lunch break but I am going to start getting up once every 30 mins to stretch and walk around a bit.... just to get started. I am soo sick of sititng for a job.

I feel that.. I work 8 hours sitting, thats how i got to my highest weight, got used to bad food and less movement..

That has all changed now tho :)

I want to be a PE teacher.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    There's so many exercises to do at your desk just youtube and search for desk workout. You can also pretty much do most arm parts of cardio dvds.

And on the weird side, if you have back issues like me, the feldenkrais-ish movments below really help ( I wouldn't recommend if people can see you, they might think you were a little crazy or signaling for help haha ):

Demo of Core Integration Exercises - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qdgGOgjKNk