The No Scale Challenge

Options
1235»

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, tomorrow is the BIG day, so anxious! I know I've lost inches, I had to go up 2 holes on my belt and had to buy new pants because all of the ones I have are now bagging off of me.

I believe this has Helped me. I used to weigh myself everyday and fluctuate and if I saw an increase I would get down on myself. Sometimes I would get discouraged and have a binge day. I am proud to announce I have not been over my calories once since beginning this challenge and have been averaging about 4000 or more calories burned each week in the month of September!!!
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    I do this challenge all the time :) I only ever weigh myself on the 1st of the month! I hope everyone does this realizes how freeing and fun it is :) I love seeing a larger number after a while rather than stressing over the small numbers all month!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I do this challenge all the time :) I only ever weigh myself on the 1st of the month! I hope everyone does this realizes how freeing and fun it is :) I love seeing a larger number after a while rather than stressing over the small numbers all month!

I LITERALLY decided just this past weekend to only weigh in on the 1st of every month! I was doing once a week...then graduated to almost daily. I thought that would keep me better motivated, but I've been going up and down the same 4-5 lbs over the Summer. SO, I decided to also weigh in once a month. That way I can stop focusing on the number and trying to manipulate ways to get the number to go down. I'm focusing more on how I feel, how my clothes fit and just got back into weights...which is making me feel better knowing my body will be firming up again! I seem to eat more if I start losing...like I can afford to eat a bit more, when in fact it's NOT the case. I'm also eating 2000 cal/day and working out 3-5x/wk. My body will find it's comfortable weight and I'll be able to sustain it! Sorry for rambling, but I've tried so many other ways to try and lose. I've only got about 15-18 lbs to lose so I know it'll take longer, but if I can lose 2-3 lbs/month doing this then I'll be happy and at goal before Spring! :bigsmile:
  • shawnatheobald
    Options

I LITERALLY decided just this past weekend to only weigh in on the 1st of every month! I was doing once a week...then graduated to almost daily. I thought that would keep me better motivated, but I've been going up and down the same 4-5 lbs over the Summer. SO, I decided to also weigh in once a month. That way I can stop focusing on the number and trying to manipulate ways to get the number to go down. I'm focusing more on how I feel, how my clothes fit and just got back into weights...which is making me feel better knowing my body will be firming up again! I seem to eat more if I start losing...like I can afford to eat a bit more, when in fact it's NOT the case. I'm also eating 2000 cal/day and working out 3-5x/wk. My body will find it's comfortable weight and I'll be able to sustain it! Sorry for rambling, but I've tried so many other ways to try and lose. I've only got about 15-18 lbs to lose so I know it'll take longer, but if I can lose 2-3 lbs/month doing this then I'll be happy and at goal before Spring! :bigsmile:

I'm glad you found out that the scale was hindering more than helping!! Sounds like you will have no issues getting to your goal by Spring. Great job and keep it up!
  • happysherri
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs! After not weighing in all September! I reset my MFP goal 2 weeks ago from losing 1 lb a week to 0.5 lb a week, so this is GREAT!

Only about 6 or 7 more lbs to go until my Goal! YAY!
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I gained .6 of a pound, OK not not that much but still I gained. Arrrgggg!!! I did however lose 5.5" so that does make me a happy. Just goes to show me that the scale is really evil, just like everyone keeps saying!

Hope everyone else is happy with their results as they weigh in today.
  • Llamalady422
    Options
    I'm in too! I let the scale control me way too much and it should be how my clothes are fitting. I'm giving the scale to my husband to keep for a month, then we'll see what it says. Just started the new program today so it should be interesting.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I went up to 1600 as I thought that's what TDEE - 20% is but I haven't lost anything in over a week. So I'm going back down to 1400 and will ditch the scale for at least a week to see what happens.

Im sick of the sight of the thing! Stood on it yesterday and had gained 2lbs ( most likely water ) and kicked it across the bathroom. lol

So maybe not a month but definitely a week at least...
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am SERIOUSLY thinking of giving this a shot. I am not opposed to daily weigh-ins, especially once you hit your maintenance weight. My hubby weighs himself daily but doesn't let the number devastate him. He just takes notice when it starts to trend consistently upwards and knows that needs to be nipped in the bud.

But right now, while I am trying to lose weight, I feel my relationship with the scale is like that of a teenaged drama queen. One day it's down, and I'm, "I love you! The world is wonderful!" The next day it's back up and I feel like, "I hate you! Why is the universe conspiring against me?" :tongue:

I have just been thinking that I need to set for myself some quantifiable fitness goals to focus on, instead of that stupid scale, (and even the measuring tape -- a 23 inch muscular thigh is better than a 23 inch flabby thigh, but it's STILL 23 inches!) I need some different goals that will help me see progress...like how many push-ups I can do & how long can I hold a wall-sit, or timed runs. Something that will indicate to me that I am getting fitter, stronger, healthier. Because really, isn't that the ultimate goal?

Currently I am in an 8-week challenge/support group that has weekly weigh-ins. But that is going to end in a few weeks. Once that happens, I may try swearing off the scale for a month. The question is, do I actually have the will-power for that? :huh:
  • happysherri
    Options
    I am SERIOUSLY thinking of giving this a shot. I am not opposed to daily weigh-ins, especially once you hit your maintenance weight. My hubby weighs himself daily but doesn't let the number devastate him. He just takes notice when it starts to trend consistently upwards and knows that needs to be nipped in the bud.

But right now, while I am trying to lose weight, I feel my relationship with the scale is like that of a teenaged drama queen. One day it's down, and I'm, "I love you! The world is wonderful!" The next day it's back up and I feel like, "I hate you! Why is the universe conspiring against me?" :tongue:

I have just been thinking that I need to set for myself some quantifiable fitness goals to focus on, instead of that stupid scale, (and even the measuring tape -- a 23 inch muscular thigh is better than a 23 inch flabby thigh, but it's STILL 23 inches!) I need some different goals that will help me see progress...like how many push-ups I can do & how long can I hold a wall-sit, or timed runs. Something that will indicate to me that I am getting fitter, stronger, healthier. Because really, isn't that the ultimate goal?

Currently I am in an 8-week challenge/support group that has weekly weigh-ins. But that is going to end in a few weeks. Once that happens, I may try swearing off the scale for a month. The question is, do I actually have the will-power for that? :huh:
    Well said.
    Exactly. That is why I think I lost. I concentrated not on the weight but other things. I love the non scale challenges. I am in a group 9 weeks straight now how many calories burned. I Absolutely LOVE this, because it's not about weight! And I don't have but 7 lbs or so to go.

I set a number of calories to burn each week and then strive to make that goal instead of how much did I lose. I'm competing with myself.

Last week I burned over 3900 calories! Like I said -Love the non scale challenges!
  • sweepgurl101
    Options
    I'm late! I've been sooooo busy with work for the last few weeks. Sooo weighed in and I'm at 160 :-D
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm late! I've been sooooo busy with work for the last few weeks. Sooo weighed in and I'm at 160 :-D

A Lb a week! WELL DONE!!!!
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I've ditched my scale. Well mostly because i'm moving and it hasn't budged below 163 and I was getting obsessed. I only WI once a week but it was driving me crazy all week and to only step on it and say the same number. So I'm convinced it's broke:) so it's in the trash now.

I think without the scale I will be better at focusing on just me and my goals as far as eating and working out and feel like if I do that then the weight will come off so no more scale for me.

Dont' know when the next time I will be able to weigh as we are in the middle of moving from Spain back to the US. We go into a hotel next week then when we get back to the US straight to Disney for a week. So i'm thinking somewhere around November 3rd which is great as thats a month and it gives me to time to really focus on how i'm feeling.
  • ewartluft
    ewartluft Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Finally got around to weighing/measuring myself this morning!

Weight: 118 lbs-this is actually about .5lb heavier than a month ago but I've been lifting pretty heavy so that doesn't me.

Chest: 31.5" Boo-this is the one that went down the most since last month and is NOT a part that I wanted to see shrink at all. LOL.

Waist (I measure just bellow my belly button b/c that's where I want to see a change): 31" (.5" down)

Hip: 34" (up about an inch but feels firmer, so I'm guessing it's muscle)

Thighs: 22.2" (.2" down)

BF: still the same (19%) BUT the caliper measurement was 1mm less than it was last month so it didn't go down a teeny, tiny bit; just not enough to change the percentage YET!
  • Llamalady422
    Options
    Okay, I actually went a whole month without the scale! Went to husband this morning and asked him to get it so I could weight myself. I was really mixed about doing this since I had dropped a pant size this month and clothes were fitting so much better. I was afraid that if the scale didn't show a great number, I would be discouraged. But......I was just too curious. YIPPEEE!!!! 9 pounds for the month. Added fuel to the fire. Gave him back the scale and will go another month and hopefully have better results.