Calling all RUNNERS! Marathoners or beginners!

Options
How did everyone get started? Did you use a program? Where are you now?

I see lots of questions about running on here and I started to wonder everyone's story. I think it will help motivate me and others!

I started using the Zombie Run 5k app. I loved it and kept going. I love the way you start really slow and build confidence. Then one day you find the run over and that you can keep going! I am now doing the Zombie Run app and still loving it. I started because at the end of the day I just needed a way to get ride of stress (and calories) and I needed something that could just shake off all that stress. Running did it!

Replies

• w292737
    w292737 Posts: 25
    Options
    I used to run when I was in the Army.

I've been a non-runner for many years now. so I'm using the Active couch to 5 k program to get back into it :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I started just playing around with the idea of running because it had always been a great challenge....even when I was kid it was hard. So I started using an app and just messing around, trying it out. Then my BFF and I signed up for 5k fun run and after that, I was hooked. I immediately started a 10k training program and just finished it last week :smile: I have now started to focus on lifting again, for the winter, but I still plan to do short runs (3-5K) twice/week if I can. I also hope to do my first half marathon next September!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I started running in high school - I didn't take it seriously, Track is just something all my friends did.

I spent college getting fat and not running at all

After college, i started running again, just 10 minute jogs on the treadmill as a warm up before weights.

A friend and I decided we would run a 10k that spring - while doing it, we saw the half marathoners getting medals. We wanted medals, so we signed up for a half in Chicago. While traing for that, we kept on getting emails about registering for the Chicago Marathon. One night we got drunk and signed up for it. That was nine years ago. In 11 days, i will run my 9th Chicago Marathon (it will be something like my 15th overall). The first one I didn't have a plan for, I overtrained, injured myself, but still pulled out a 4:26 marathon. I spent several years not really training seriously and sticking around that time. One year I decided to run with a pace group, and suddenly ran a 3:54. Then it was off to the races, quite literally. I qualified/ran Boston, have enlisted better and more involved plans, and I'm aiming for a 3:15 this time around. We'll see how it goes.

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Honestly? When I started running I just started running. Period. I hopped on the treadmill and I would walk a bit, then up the speed a little bit and jog for as long as I could working up to doing one full mile running (which was the greatest day on the planet for me!). After my 1 mile I worked up from there and would try to run a little farther each time. Then I worked on my speed and I would up the speed every .5 miles.

Now I"m hooked. I absolutely LOVE running. I didn't realize how much I liked it until I couldn't run for a few months. Whenever I was driving and I saw people running I would tell my husband that they were mocking me because they knew I couldn't LOL.

My podiatrist looked at me like I had seven heads when I told him I ran because I like it.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    How did everyone get started? Did you use a program? Where are you now?

I started running after I joined the Army in 1984, 3 half marathons and countless 5ks later, still running!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I first wondered what this c25k thing everyone was raving about was all about. So finally I downloaded the schedule. Being typically me, I figured I'd do some background reading and borrowed 'the beginning runners handbook' - which featured a couch to 10k plan. So naturally, I had to try that instead.
    I got up to 8k and stuck with that, since it was a nice trail.
    That winter I had pneumonia, so I had to quit running for almost 4 months. When February came, I knew what to do. Started my 10k program again, completed it, then continued to increase my distance. Now I am up to nearly 150km a month and 20 in one go. Undecided where to take it next, but I am eyeing a 30k run clinic for the winter :-)
  • jilzish
    Options
    I have been running on and off for a few years now, entering local 5k and 10k events. Last year I trained for a half marathon and then a triathlon (I was 14 weeks pregnant doing the Triathlon, so had to take it easy). Since then I have let my fitness slip completely throughout my pregnancy and since the baby was born. I have signed up for a full marathon in April, not sure yet if it was a 'fool hardy' decision but i'm feeling pretty determined. I'm only up to 3 miles so far, but the plan is to follow Hal Higdons 10 k training plan and roll it into his 18 week Marathon schedule. I'm really keen to follow how other runners are progressing with their training, tips, stories and motivation. I've sent you a friend request, Best of Luck with your training :-)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    A friend and I signed up for a 5k, agreed to train together, and followed a Couch25k program. After that first 5k, we continued training together and ran in a variety of races (8 months of running together 3 times a week). We don't train together anymore, but have some more races together coming up. I still run 3 times a week.

Probably within the first 2 months I realized I enjoyed running and decided it would be a permanent sport for me to pursue.
  • andytrimbur
    Options
    I used to be terrrrrrrrrible at running and just decided one day that I wanted to get better at it. I started a 5k training app called "personal running trainer" but didn't set any type of deadline for myself (I hadn't signed up for any races) I grew bored of the training fast and kind of put it on the back burner. It wasn't until about a month ago my best friend (a marathon runner) convinced me to sign up for a 5K. She kept telling me that it took her actually having paid for a race and having a deadline that motivated her to get up and train. So I did, and I started another training program that was recommended by the 5k's website. I STILL kept hitting a wall. I was so bored of the training. I lived for my once-a-week run around my neighborhood with my best friend, but hating my training sesssions during the week that I so often skipped them because lack of motivation. I had gotten up to a solid 2 miles no problem but felt like if I didn't have some kind of "trainging program" i would never get to my 5k.... then one day, I just got up and ran 3 miles. And it was the BEST run. Honestly, I came to learn that training programs don't work for everyone. They didn't work for me. After my 3 miles, I have easily been able to increase my distance each time I run. And it's way more fun for me this way! So whether you decide to follow some program or just run, figure out what works for you! Some people thrive off of the structure of a training plan (and you can find those everywhere from runner's world magazine, to pinterest, to iphone apps, anywhere you look really, just google it.) and some people just gotta RUN!... good luck with your ventures! From a fellow beginner!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner, in fact all through school everyone discouraged me from athletics and running specifically because of my asthma. Hogwash! I made it a point to become athletic as an adult, I chose boxing training and hiking (regularly did 15+ mile day hikes with up to 4000 ft elevation gain). I became extremely fit, but then I had a baby.

As a single mom I found it impossible to fit exercise in my life. I had two runner friends urge me to try running because I could do it with my daughter. So I started c25k. The first time I made it to 12 mins running, then I kept getting sick. I had to stop. I started running again last year, ran 5k for the first time in june (39:30). In October I ran my first half marathon. Then in May 2013 I ran my second and I'm currently training for my 3rd October 13th. My time to beat is 2:11:46 and I'm hoping to finally break 2 hours.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    "How did everyone get started? Did you use a program? Where are you now?"

Fooled around running in college, but too many other distractions to stick with it...

Flash forward to 20 years later, I lost over 30 lbs and decided to get back into it. I always enjoyed it and being more mature with a hectic schedule gave me the discipline and drive to work through the Couch to 5K program and keep upping my mileage.

I started C25K in late March this year, with around a 12:00 mile and I'm now logging around 25 miles a week training for a half-marathon. My last "long" run was 7.4 miles and my last speed run Tuesday I did 3 miles averaging a 7:30 pace. Love it.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    5 months ago, I couldn't run for longer than a minute
    I completed C25K about 2.5-3 months ago, took about 38 minutes to run 5k
    I completed a 5k race recently, ran 5k in 31:40. Looking to get an even faster time in a parkrun in a few weeks. I trained by running 4-11 (varied...haha) miles 2-3 times a week
    I am now increasing my mileage every week. This will I will have run 13 miles :) I run 4x a week, cross train twice, and strength train 3x
    Although I have no training plan yet as it's a year away, I am planning on running the Great North Run (half marathon) in under 2.30hrs! Before then I'm planning more 5ks, and once my 5k time is under 30 minutes, go for a 10k

Keep at it!
  • sassabella
    Options
    Yeah I really want to do a half marathon next year but I'm definitely only at a 5k kind of point at the moment. A lot of work to be done! I ran the B2B in September in 33 minutes which is my PB but I realise that isn't really too great. If anyone has any good tips or articles for interval training or on how to build up km's that would be awesome :)
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yeah I really want to do a half marathon next year but I'm definitely only at a 5k kind of point at the moment. A lot of work to be done! I ran the B2B in September in 33 minutes which is my PB but I realise that isn't really too great. If anyone has any good tips or articles for interval training or on how to build up km's that would be awesome :)

Hal Higdon has some great plans. Try fartlek training once a week, too. It's SO MUCH FUN
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I got re-started running (after 25 years) with a home made version of C25K. In January I couldn't even run one lap around the track without stopping. Now I regularly run 5 miles with no stops.

I started by alternating running a minute and walking a minute until I had done this for a total of 30 minutes. I did this 3 times a week for the first week. The next week I added 30 seconds to each run, but kept the walking at 1 minute. I kept adding 30 seconds to the running portion every week. After a while I was up to running for about 20 minutes before I was due for a walk. At that point I went to the track with the goal of running 30 minutes (or 3 miles) without stopping. It was difficult, but I did it.

From that point on it was just a matter of doing it again and again...doing it a little faster each time.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Next week, it will be exactly one year since I joined a 5K training program at the local running store. It was a very snap decision to start running (talking to a friend in the produce section, actually). I had never run in my life (i was 35) and thought the idea ludicrous. Since then, I've run a several 5Ks, an 8K, a 10K, and I'm training for a half marathon on November 2. I love the long runs, finding a comfortable pace and zoning out.
  • Golfergurl68
    Golfergurl68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Run Your Butt Off" for a great 12 week training program that also focuses on weight loss. Very easy to read and filled with a common sense approach. It's from the editors and writers at Runners World (there are also great resources on runnersworld.com - including training programs for beginners). Personally I just made it to 2 miles in 32 minutes :) (60 pounds lost, too).
  • chad23jl
    chad23jl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started running to get ready for my entry into the Army at the age of 34. I started out like a lot of others...slow and steady on a treadmill and slowly build up to running farther and faster. I am now 39, stationed in Hawaii currently and I am addicted to running. I have ran over 350 miles since June of this yr. Ran my first half marathon about a month ago....just for fun. Hit a wall at the 10 mile mark but still finished in 2hr18mins. I usually run now 5-6 miles a day at least 4 days out of the week.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I always swore I would never run for exercise. Then one day a few months ago, we were watching Resident Evil: Afterlfe and my brain just suddenly pronounced "you know if you're ever faced with a zombie horde, you're going to die."

Silly, but for whatever reason it stuck with me the next morning, so I downloaded the c25k app and tried it. I'm about halfway through now (had to take a few weeks off for illness), but I'm definitely hooked.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I picked up running my freshman year of HS (1995) because the friends I rock climbed and mountain biked with did. Turns out I was a pretty good runner with a sub-17 min XC 5k time and a 4:22 mile. I was offered a scholarship to Grand Canyon Univ, but declined for personal reasons (mostly I was a dumb teenager) and kinda quit running for a while due to no direction.
    When i joined the army just prior to 9/11 I was forced to get back into running and even though I ran alot, my times got slower and slower...and I got more and more chronically injured. The day I got out in '09 I said I was done running. Too old, and too broken.
    Fast forward to the end of 2012 and I weighed 40+ lbs more than I should, and needed to do something.
    Talking to my academic advisor at Colo State Univ-Pueblo, former Olympic Triathlon Team Coach, I told him I missed that feeling of being "A Runner" and we came up with a plan that got me back into running. It's been nine months now and I'm back up to 30-35 mpw and running a 1:35 Half Mar.