Strange American sayings from an English Perspective

Two come to mind for starters:-

*kitten* hat???

Butt Hurt??

Are you guys really that fixated with your rear ends.

Replies

• kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    *kitten* Hat comes from... You've got your head shoved so far up your own *kitten*, you're wearing it as a hat. Butt hurt? I don't know, I've only ever seen it in these forums.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    but then we Brits also seem particularly keen on our bums too!

Bottoms up!
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Fixated with our rear ends? Nah. There are far more expressions for throwing up and masturbating (usually not at the same time :laugh: ) than just about anything else.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    but then we Brits also seem particularly keen on our bums too!

Bottoms up!

Isn't that just referring to the bottom of the glass?
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    There are far more expressions for throwing up and masturbating (usually not at the same time :laugh: ) than just about anything else.

And sex.
  • FANNY

tumblr_inline_mq314bm3gL1qz4rgp.gif
    edit:wrong gif
  • glenner
    glenner Posts: 160 Member
    A Canadian sounding in- Brits eat a chip butty- hmmm from butt? LOL. Actually I am addicted to Corrie Street and LOVE British expressions!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Every time I read some one having a cut and a blow, I giggle but I can't remember if it is from my English or Australian friends:laugh:
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    We are 'Muricans and Everyone knows... We like big butts and we can not lie, you other brothers cant deny when a girl walks in with and itty bitty waste and a round thing in your face ... You know she squats :D
  • darrensurrey
    A Canadian sounding in- Brits eat a chip butty- hmmm from butt? LOL. Actually I am addicted to Corrie Street and LOVE British expressions!

I never thought about that before. Turns out "butty" is from "buttered bread". Chip butty is a chip sandwich so that works I guess!
  • darrensurrey
    Where 'Muricans and Everyone knows... We like big butts and we can not lie, you other brothers cant deny when a girl walks in with and itty bitty waste and a round thing in your face ... You know she squats :D

Ah. Bitty. That always gets me.

http://youtu.be/AOfI48IWESo
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    I think a nice rear end is worth being fixated on!!! :tongue:
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    back atcha: Bob's your uncle!
  • Ahhh some more(not as good):-

"You don't know squat"

"Fanny pack" ..... that ones ssooo funny!!

"I'm doing the math" ....it's "Maths" not "Math"

"Vacation" .... no it's not it's a holiday!

"He was pissed" ..... In England this would mean he was very drunk
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    No. No one seriously needs butthurt explained, do they? :noway:

I have a British friend who's morphed that with "the world's your oyster," and somehow ended up with "...And Bob's your lobster."

She also described an ex as a "total wanking git-faced tosser," which I found particularly poetic. Yes, Americans do have some weird phrases, but the UK has elevated it to an art form.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    douche bag, douche canoe, and a new one I read today.... douche wagon. These conjure up great mental images, and I like them. I'm not sure they'd sound right in a British accent though, so I don't say them.

I agree, fanny pack just sounds totally wrong in British English

Also, an *kitten* is a donkey. your rear end is your *kitten*.

other ones that would sound silly (and *kitten* obsessed) in British English:

smart *kitten* (this would mean your *kitten* is very well dressed, if you mean your *kitten* is clever, you'd have to call it a clever *kitten*)

bad *kitten* (this one makes more sense)

dumb *kitten* (this means your *kitten* can't speak... you could prove it wrong by farting. If you mean that your *kitten* is stupid, you'd have to say "thick *kitten*" - but thick in American English is apparently a euphamism for fat)

which leads me to....... Americans calling themselves thick, because they don't want to describe themselves as fat. Thick = stupid in British English. Saying "I'm not fat, I'm thick" = saying "I'm not fat, I'm stupid"
  • neandermagnon
    oh yeah.... there's "don't get your panties in a bunch" - the British equivalent is "don't get your knickers in a twist"

and that leads me to..... pants = underwear. this is a source of potential hilarity when Brits and Americans interact
  • bwallace2012
    bwallace2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Where 'Muricans and Everyone knows... We like big butts and we can not lie, you other brothers cant deny when a girl walks in with and itty bitty waste and a round thing in your face ... You know she squats :D

'Muricans???? who you? Dubya?
  • neandermagnon
    No. No one seriously needs butthurt explained, do they? :noway:

I have a British friend who's morphed that with "the world's your oyster," and somehow ended up with "...And Bob's your lobster."

She also described an ex as a "total wanking git-faced tosser," which I found particularly poetic. Yes, Americans do have some weird phrases, but the UK has elevated it to an art form.

I find it hilarious that the MFP automatic censor lets anyone type "total wanking git-faced tosser" LOL

I also saw somewhere where an American had censored the expression "bloody hell!!" (said by Ron Weasley in Harry Potter) by removing the word "hell" but leaving the word "bloody" in place.... bloody used in that way is a lot ruder than hell. (But not in the same league as the word wank or its derivatives.)