First Time Flying

Options
Releven
Releven Posts: 63 Member
The girl I am talking with is taking her first flight in the morning to Florida and is scared beyond all belief. I wanted to show her that I really do care about her and wanted to help her relax a bit so I started making this "Care Package' if you will that I want her to open on the way to the airport. Right now all I have is little bottles of Jack Daniels, Mini Bottles of Coke, and some Hershey Bars for her and her sisters who are going and i'm not sure if I should just leave it at that or get her something else like maybe an Itunes gift card maybe something from starbucks?

If you were to receive something like this, what little things would you like to get or would think "man this guy really is amazing and not like all the other douche bags i've dated" when you open it? I'm all ears for ideas my friends :):drinker:

Replies

• awelmore
    awelmore Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That's very sweet of you to think of. Remember the rule about carrying on liquids. You might add a cute chick magazine or funny magazine of some sort. If she reads, maybe a small book?
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    Gravol and magazines. How's she getting the booze through security?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    How's she getting the booze through security?

And the coke.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    All women are different, but things a guy does for me hold more significance than gifts in terms of how he stands out from other guys I've dated. My last boyfriend lived in a different state, so there was a lot of flying back and forth, and despite how clueless he could be about some things, one thing he never failed to do was carry my suitcase, and that made me feel special.

I do think it's very sweet that you are trying to ease her fears with this "care package," and I'm sure she will love it, especially since you didn't forget her sisters. Girls notice things like that.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    ChrisHanson.png
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow. Totally awesome idea.

When I took a flight with one of my best friends who is TERRIFIED of flying, I had some of those find-the-hidden-pictures things...we raced to see who could find them all faster during take-off and landing to distract her. Sounds a bit lame, I know, but she told me it really helped and gave her something else to think about. (I also quizzed her about the problems on the exam we'd taken that morning, but let's put that aside for now.)

As another note: booze is a fantastic call. If this girl is taking a trip with her sisters, it sounds like a girls-night-out, female-bonding-type activity...maybe some mini champagne bottles if you can find them? They always seem to be a part of our girls' night.

And yeah, if a guy did this for me --> I would be in deep smit. (Too bad I'm not afraid of flying...)
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It's been a few years since I've taken a flight, but I'm not sure if she'll be able to take those small bottles onto ther carry-on (if they still are not allowing liquids above a certain oz. in-flight) so keep that in mind.

As much as the gift cards are always nice, they don't demonstrate much of that creative thinking that it seems like you're desiring. How are you at writing poems? Even an absolutely terrible love poem could crack her up and make her smile and more relaxed over the flight. Or even just something to make her flight more comfortable - a nice new neck pillow or a small soft blanket, or even a goofy stuffed animal. At least these are things that I would like that would make me smile and think of my loved one when I'm nervous.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    give her airborne, a pack of gum, and some sleeping pills. she'll love you.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    The thought alone should make her swoon. Nice work!

Magazines, gum or candy, and a mixed tape (kidding)
  • Releven
    Options
    It's more or less for the thought of it. I mean unless she drinks it on the way to the airport since she's not driving I expect her to just hold onto it until afterwards. We had joked about her getting bombed before the flight so she didn't remember it so it's more or less a joke more than anything for the jack and coke :)
  • Releven
    Options
    ChrisHanson.png

Damn...I knew I should have went with mike's hard lemonade instead of jack...I was just doing this to talk, these condoms don't mean anything!

Is it ok that I leave?
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am a medallion status (Fly A LOT) and I can tell you, a neck pillow and some noise cancelling earphones are KEY. Maybe a cute stuffed animal, if you think she'd appreciate that. Other ideas, an iPod mini with some music that you picked out for her.

So sweet!

Amie
  • Releven
    Options
    I think the earphone idea is good. The box isn't really that big because I didn't want her to haul around some huge box along with all her luggage. Those will be small enough to slide in there as well as maybe a little pack of gum because I know when I fly my ears are annoying and gum helps me out lol

Someone mentioned to me here at work about a little stuffed animal with a spray of my cologne on it, but i'm not so sure about that. I mean it could be because i'm a guy but isn't that a little...I don't even know how to say it...creepy?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I think the earphone idea is good. The box isn't really that big because I didn't want her to haul around some huge box along with all her luggage. Those will be small enough to slide in there as well as maybe a little pack of gum because I know when I fly my ears are annoying and gum helps me out lol

Someone mentioned to me here at work about a little stuffed animal with a spray of my cologne on it, but i'm not so sure about that. I mean it could be because i'm a guy but isn't that a little...I don't even know how to say it...creepy?

Depends on how serious your relationship is.
  • formongo
    formongo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As someone who has mostly overcome a fear of flying I recommend something that will distract her during takeoff and landing. Those are the worst times for me and if I'm focused on something else I can get through it much more easily. I usually go with a crossword puzzle or an interesting magazine, but since she's with her sisters perhaps a small card or party game of some sort?
  • Releven
    Options
    I just met her this morning for coffee, she said hi to me, then i asked her to marry me...She said no, I think it was because of the coffee so i'm gonna let that slide. I figured I'd ask her again tonight, and maybe tomorrow morning when I climb through her window and leave this care package on her kitchen table...I hope I can sneak out before the dog barks and bites me.

Kidding :P We've been talking to each other for a few months now, it's not too "serious" but the foundation has been laid for it to go that direction.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    GUM!! to help with the ear popping. For me that's the worst part of flying.