Cardio v. Weight Training

Options
I'm relatively new to this whole exercise thing. I'm not lazy or afraid to get up and do something, I just tend to get bored quickly with exercise. A few weeks ago I started running but then experienced shins splints (and I'm a pretty good rationalizer and negotiator so that's about all it took for me to hang my shoes up for a while). Once I stopped running, I started Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred. I started level 2 tonight and some days that keeps my attention, others it's a struggle.

I was hoping I could get some advice on the benefits of cardio and weight training, with which you've seen the most results, etc.

What programs/systems seem to keep you motivated/entertained?

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Well, I am enjoying c25k and New Rules of Lifting for Women a lot right now,

Personally, I vote for strength training because it is less monotonous (depending on what you do) than cardio. It also preserves muscle and allow you to burn more fat, so while the weight loss isn't quite as fast, I have seen a lot more changes in my body since I backed of the cardio and started focusing more on heavy lifting.
  • charlielight
    charlielight Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I have heard C25k is really good to get you going. I haven't heard of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'll have to look into that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Well, I am enjoying c25k and New Rules of Lifting for Women a lot right now,

Personally, I vote for strength training because it is less monotonous (depending on what you do) than cardio. It also preserves muscle and allow you to burn more fat, so while the weight loss isn't quite as fast, I have seen a lot more changes in my body since I backed of the cardio and started focusing more on heavy lifting.

This, I currently am doing Stronglifts 5X5, which is a strength program. Starting Strength on Amazon is also good.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like an asshat, but really? I think you already know what the difference between what a jog does for your legs vs. squatting.
  • stewinspain
    stewinspain Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started with the Insanity programme (CV) for a quick result and then flipped to Body Beast which is a weights based programme. I have found a mix of the two works for me. The weights burn more fat for longer but also bear in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, so at some point it is pointless watching the scales...look in the mirror and check how your clothes fit... this I have found is the best measure...
  • tacticalG
    Options
    Cathe-Friedrichs-XTrain
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have to keep mixing it up and switching workouts to keep myself motivated. Since I got back into working out regularly I have done Zumba, C25k, Turbo Fire, calisthenics, hiking, and now ChaLEAN Extreme as my 'main' workouts.

Along with those 'regularly scheduled workouts', I also do walking, weights, resistance bands, balance and flexibility workouts. I have had great results re: fat loss, muscle retention and improved fitness/endurance with all of those.

In December, when I complete the ChaLEAN Extreme calendar, I'm sure I will move on to something else. I incorporate some type of aerobic and strength training always,but I have to keep it fresh or I'll get bored and stop.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm a traditionalist, primarily exercising through weight training and running. I've dabbled in a few exercise programs de jour, but never have strayed for long. I'm trying crossfit in November and December (after a marathon later this month).

I used to dread running and love weight training, but over the past few years I've come to enjoy running more (maybe because I'm not stuck in a stuffy gym with a bunch of other sweaty people, lol)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I still do a bit of moderate cardio (mostly running outdoors and a bit of indoor HIIT work with videos, maybe 1.5 hours/week) but I mostly focus on lifting now, which I also do at home, with dumbbells, following the All Pro Beginner lifting routine. Lifting has given me the results I was looking for; I wish I started it waaaaaaaaaaaay sooner.
  • charlielight
    charlielight Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is all very helpful. I'm not too terribly concerned with reaching a goal weight or a number on the scale. Ultimately it is about how I look, feel, and see myself. Ultimately, if I could lose 10%-15% of my body fat (yes, that's a significant range), that would be ideal.

From what I'm gathering strength training seems to be a fan favorite.

One of my closest friends has lost over 60 pounds in the last year, mostly through very strict dieting (rather than healthy eating) and a little bit of cardio. Her main complaint is her lack of toning. I don't have near that much to lose so I do I'll focus on weight training, with a few days of cardio each week.
  • CoachDreesTraining
    CoachDreesTraining Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This is all very helpful. I'm not too terribly concerned with reaching a goal weight or a number on the scale. Ultimately it is about how I look, feel, and see myself. Ultimately, if I could lose 10%-15% of my body fat (yes, that's a significant range), that would be ideal.

From what I'm gathering strength training seems to be a fan favorite.

One of my closest friends has lost over 60 pounds in the last year, mostly through very strict dieting (rather than healthy eating) and a little bit of cardio. Her main complaint is her lack of toning. I don't have near that much to lose so I do I'll focus on weight training, with a few days of cardio each week.

It's pretty simple if you want to look and feel better - strength train. It is more time efficient, it has more health benefits, and you will be much less likely to get hurt.