To nap or not to nap... That's the question!

Options
So I heard that napping can hinder weight loss... Anyone every heard of that.... Any truth to it?

I took a 15 minute nap this afternoon and felt AWESOME! Just wondering if I can work that in a few times a week without consequences. Thanks for any feedback. :bigsmile:

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    actually if you don't get adequate rest/sllep while dieting it can hinder your weight loss. If it made you feel better--i'd say you answered your own question right there! Good luck!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm not an expert, but I am an athlete and I've been told to take 15 minute naps on hard work out days to aid in muscle recovery so you're body is not conserving calories to heal. I second elmct57 too, sleep deprivation is bad!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    nap! i love me some naptime!
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Sleeping puts you in a catabolic state, so I wouldn't recommend doing it more than once a day. It'll mess with meal timings, slow down your metabolism...shouldn't you be getting enough sleep at one time? I can see if you can only sleep for 4 hours or something at a time but, if you already get a 7-9 hour sleep I don't think napping half way through the day is going to help.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    DUDE - oh yeah... NAP!!!!! :D
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have always been taught that your body actually grows and repairs itself during sleep (rest). I would say get the nap!:yawn:
  • PatriciaO
    Options
    I love a fifteen minute nap. It makes me feel great.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you need it, NAP! I have weighed myself before a nap when I was feeling sluggish and bloated, then layed down. I slept an hour and a half, dang near filled the bowl, and then weighed again and lost 2 pounds! Felt much better after the nap, more energy and not bloated. Your body will tell you when it needs a nap, so if you are able, go for it!
  • SymphonicSilence
    Options
    I suffer with CFS so I'm always napping during the day on the advice of my hospital consultant!!

I've never thought to see if it helps/hinders my weight so I think I'll be checking that out now ;)
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I do get about 6.5 to 7 hrs sleep at night (going to bed around 930 or 10) and get up at 440am to hit the gym hard 4 times a week... So, these are the days that I sometimes feel sluggish and may take a 15min. cat nap :)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I've heard napping does all kinds of good things for your mind and body, but never exactly anything weight loss/hinder specific. I would say go for it though, because if it gives you more energy and puts you in a better mood then its worth it, better than being sluggish all day and not wanting to do anything.