Ladies: Were u once 200+, now at/close to UGW(w/o surgery)?

If you've clicked on this, I want you to know that I'm reaching out for motivation, advice, tips, recipes, lifestyles, EVERYTHING.

I have seen quite a few women, around my age (20+) who have been around my size (215+) and are now at or EXTREMELY close to their goal weight. Being a bigger woman, it's so hard to envision myself at 135. It seems absolutely impossible, but seeing these stories, I'm all like "Holy crap. It IS doable... But the question is, can I do it?"

SO! My questions for you ladies... When you were considered 'bigger', what did you do for exercise? What did you eat? How many calories did you eat? How often did you work out? I specifically want to know this junk from when you first started and were losing your first 20-30 pounds.

My reasoning is this: when I normally ask these questions, all you skinny-minnies usually tell me what you do now with your new hot bods. Right now, I cannot run 5 miles. Heck, I can't even RUN 1 mile. My knees are bad, so it literally makes me cringe to do squats, my knees pop & rub and it's literally like nails on a chalkboard.

uytxjgw.gif

**EDIT** Let me tell you what I do, what I've done, and some health issues I have in the way of my success. I have a dietician that I saw for the first time last month (my next appointment is tomorrow), and I will continue to see her on a monthly basis for follow ups, diary reviews, etc. I currently suffer from PCOS, hypothyroidism, and insulin resistance. Weight loss is pretty difficult for me. I make mini-goals for myself (every 5% starting body weight lost) to break up the weight loss monotony. I eat right at 1800 calories a day, as recommended by my dietician - none of the 1200 calorie, starving myself stuff.

I enjoy lifting weights. I like the machines at the gym. I like to walk in the cool crisp mornings outside, but struggle when it's cold. I know losing weight isn't 'rocket science'. I know it's calories in vs. calories out. I'm not someone who is looking for a quick fix or an easy answer - all I'm looking for are women who have done this journey and are living proof that their plan worked.

So, spill the beans, all you sexy ladies! Give me the deets, share before & after pictures, friend request me to get my butt motivated & in gear, because Lord knows, I would NEVER turn down motivation.

Thank you in advance. Now, go go! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I don't really qualify, as I'm nowhere near UGW, however, I'm well on my way. I started at 211.6 lbs and I'm now down to 183.4. That being said, For exercise, I walked... and walked... and walked.... because literally, that was pretty much all I could handle. I did do 30 Day Shred, but once it got to level 2, I couldn't handle the plank position (and I still can't). I started out by walking at my local park, and walking to the 1 mile marker, and then back. Slowly I upped it, and did 3.5 miles consistently. In August I tried c25k, because I really felt like I was ready, but at the end of week 2 I got plantar fascitis, so I had to shelve those plans, and went right back to walking. And walking. And more walking. My daughter started pre-k in September 3x a week, and luckily for me, there's a nice nature/hiking/jogging/biking trail a mile from the school. So now, I drop her off, walk a mile to the trail, hike for a bit, then walk back to the school to pick her up. Totals about 6.5 miles. I also recently started doing Kettlebells 2x a week. Mind you, I can't do all of the moves yet, and I use a pretty sissy weight kettlebell, but I'm doing it.

As for food, I'm pretty much following MFP's goals. I have my setting set to 1.5 lbs/week, which gives me 1430 calories/day and I eat most (or all) of my exercise calories back. So, like on hiking days, I'm usually somewhere around 1900-2000ish calories. On kettlebell or walking days, I'm usually around 1600-1700. I still eat all of the foods I love, pizza, ice cream, burgers, etc... but in much more moderation. Usually it's chicken breast and veggies, but I can still have anything I want, I just have to work it into my calorie goals. Lately, I've been able to cap off my day with a nightly ice cream. It makes me happy and I don't feel deprived, haha. And you know what? I consistently lose weight every week (except 1, there was a funky gain, but then I dropped it next week, plus an additional 1.4 lbs). I generally lose 1.2-1.6 lbs/week, pretty consistently.

I think the keys to success, is finding the RIGHT caloric goal (1200 is the lowest, but it's very hard to do, and it feels lacking, been there, done that), as well as finding an activity that you love. And when I say love, I mean LOVE. The kind of LOVE that makes it not feel like a chore. Something that is exciting, and makes you happy. As my doctor put it, don't do too much too soon. Start out small and work your way up.

Don't think of how far you have to go, but how far you've come. Make mini-goals for yourself, such as, losing 5 lbs in October, and if you meet the goal, reward yourself with something (nonfood, perhaps). Take photos so that you can see your progression, when you feel like you're stuck. Take measurements! Buy a food scale! Ask for help when you need it!

That's pretty much all I've got. That was pretty long, lol. Good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Also nowhere close to UGW but started at 265 in 2010. Yes it took me 3 years to lose 30 pounds but I have to do this. I am also hypothyroid and have been having trouble with my numbers (meds are not working too well). I walk a lot but have also found a water aerobics class at the local high school pool. It is great because my muscles are burning but My joints are fine. I also like to eat in season because it keeps things fresh and I don't get as bored. I love roasted winter squash.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I'm also not quite at my goal yet (my ultimate goal is 160, which may or may not change depending on how I feel when I get there). I started at 235 pounds in January and this morning weighed in at 184 (I'm 5'6").

Honestly, I think your plan so far sounds pretty good! Seeing a dietitian is the right move to make sure you're giving your body what it needs while working with your other challenges. I definitely advocate eating as much as possible while still losing weight. That number is different for everyone, but most people can eat a pretty solid number of calories and still reach their goals. Since January, I've pretty much eaten a base number of 1500 calories plus all of my exercise calories, which usually put me between 1700-1900 calories a day, and it worked out just fine. :smile: I don't eat any special foods, and I didn't eliminate anything from my diet. I eat what I want, try to make healthy choices, and work it all into my calorie goals for the day. I also try to hit my macros, although I'm still working my way into that.

As far as exercise goes, I think it's most important just to do what you can do and what you like doing, because you're more likely to stick to things that you enjoy. I started out doing Jillian Michaels DVDs, because most of them are only 30 minutes. I still do them, and they can be pretty challenging, but she usually offers modified exercises for people who are just starting out. And the fact that many of them are 30 minutes or less makes it easier to get through. I also really enjoy walking, hiking, and kettlebells, and I like to go for a 6-10 mile bike ride when the weather is good. I typically do some sort of workout about 4-5 times a week.

My plan is to just keep doing what I'm doing until I reach my goal, tweaking as necessary.
    It sounds like you're on the right track! :smile:
  • amy_lynn_522
    amy_lynn_522 Posts: 55 Member
    I started out at 232 and I've lost 50 pounds (I now weigh 182), and I'm 22 pounds away from my goal of 160.

I started out with little changes here and there. In the beginning I went totally hardcore and gave up everything I loved to eat. Sodas, sweets, starbucks, white flour products. I found that was too hard and started cheating all the time. So I decided to give up that plan and incorporated my favorite foods... just watched the portion control.

I started walking. Instead of taking elevators I started taking the stairs.

With just small changes I lost 30 pounds. Then in January I started logging all my food on this site and started a low carb/high protein diet. I eat approx 1620 calories and usually eat at least half of my exercise calories (I workout 3 times a week). I've lost another 20 pounds doing this.

On the 15th I'm going to start lifting to tighten things up and get stronger. I'm also going to change my food intake again to work with lifting...

Feel free to add me as a friend... I like to motivate and be motivated in return :)
  • nadiacsalazar
    nadiacsalazar Posts: 1 Member
    My UGW 143 which would put me at total 100lb loss and since I started using this APP it has helped me reach it faster. Just stick to the cals it tells you too and don't go over! If you follow it then you should see results. Slow but steady progress, I am now at -62 lbs with only 38 to go! YOU CAN DO THIS! :smile:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I started at 233, am now 149 and just recently dropped my goal from 145 to 133 (so now 16 lbs away vs 4). I'm also older and don't have the medical issues.

But here's what I did. I followed mfp. I eat my exercise calories. I eat whatever floats my boat, but I find non-calorie dense foods (veggies, lean proteins) to provide a greater volume of food and are therefore more filling. I don't eat anything I don't like.

For exercise, do what you can. ANY activity is better than no activity. I now wear a bodymedia armband that tracks activity & calories burned 24/7. Washing dishes burns more calories than sitting on the couch. Walking burns even more. As you lose weight, exercise will become easier. If you enjoy walking, do that. If you enjoy weights, do that. Do things you like to do. And don't go crazy-you don't need to go zero to a billion in a week. Add in what you can do and what you enjoy enough to keep doing.

Above all, remember this is forever. You don't reach goal then get to go back to eating pizza and cheeseburgers on the couch. Do things you can see yourself doing forever. That's why it's important to find foods you enjoy and exercise you like to do. Find a simple balance.

Perfection is not necessary. So don't try for it. Set reasonable goals around things you can control and just keep plugging.

I've been at this 650 some odd days. Feel free to peruse my diary. It has every morsel of food and every minute of exercise for all 650 some odd days. Nothing magical, but mostly good days with a healthy dose of bad days mixed in. It's just how life rolls.

Simpler is better. Aim for that.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    SW: 265
    CW: 161
    UGW: ???????????????

I have bad knees also, but I found I really love circuit training, it gave me variety and it works different body parts. I also had a knee injury last year and had to have surgery and CT allowed me to continue working out around my injury. I started with Jillian Michaels, when my knee healed I moved on to Turbo Fire and now I'm almost done with FocusT25. Right now my focus is on toning and building muscle. When I started I pretty much ate what I wanted, but less of it, but the more progress I made and the more I learned about nutrition, I decided to stick to mostly whole foods and actually measuring my food, I realized I was actually eating more than I thought. The reason I don't have an UGW is because I have no idea what that is, right now I'm a size 8 which I never thought I would get back into, but now that I am I decided to do maintenance for a while.