Lifting: Full Body Workouts--> Have any?

Options
I really want to lift weights and lower my bf % but I dont know where to start. Most plans that I come across are split into days for certain parts of the body. i would rather do full body workouts for 4 days a week. I am definitely a beginner and really could use help. Also, should I incorporate cardio?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I really want to lift weights and lower my bf % but I dont know where to start. Most plans that I come across are split into days for certain parts of the body. i would rather do full body workouts for 4 days a week. I am definitely a beginner and really could use help. Also, should I incorporate cardio?

Wow, I'm surprised there hasn't been an influx of StrongLifts 5x5 and Starting Strength disciples chiming in already. Since you're a beginner and you sound like you could benefit from learning the movements and progressing from there, StrongLifts 5x5 is probably the right routine for you. Just Google it and the website has all the information you need and I think it has videos on the exercises as well. Make sure your diet is straight and you get adequate protein. Good luck!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Check out All Pro's Beginner Routine on the bodybuilding.com forums. It's three days a week, but a good, basic program. You might also like Strong Curves. It's different exercises each workout, but total body each time, it looks like. I'm actually starting it Monday.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,190 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a really good starting routine. Starting Strength is also good. Some people really like New Rule for Lifting for Women. I personally think Stronglifts 5x5 is a very good basic program because it focuses on a handful of compound lifts that will work your would body and it has a very straight forward process of progression, that is, how you proceed in increasing the weight you lift.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put in my plug for Starting Strength. I started with Stronglifts 5x5, but bought Starting Strength about a month in and wish I had bought it sooner. Stronglifts 5x5 pretty much gives you the bare minimum you need to move forward without completely screwing yourself up. Starting Strength is a 374 page textbook on all of the ins and outs of the five big lifts (Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift, Power Clean and Bench Press), plus assistance work, plus some discussion on programming.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts is a great place to start. I started there years ago. A site that I also love and got me started is http://www.stumptuous.com/. They have a ton of information as well as tips on form for compound lifts for beginners. It also has a lot of information specific to women.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put in my plug for Starting Strength. I started with Stronglifts 5x5, but bought Starting Strength about a month in and wish I had bought it sooner. Stronglifts 5x5 pretty much gives you the bare minimum you need to move forward without completely screwing yourself up. Starting Strength is a 374 page textbook on all of the ins and outs of the five big lifts (Squat, Overhead Press, Deadlift, Power Clean and Bench Press), plus assistance work, plus some discussion on programming.

Sometimes the basics is the place to start. 374 pages of ins and outs would have killed it for me. Any detailed discussions of programming when I was a beginner, would have been met with a 'wut?"
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have been on this program for almost a year. It is full body, can be done at home or gym with mostly free weights, beginner to advanced. You just missed the last transformation contest but the program can be started at any time. I love it because it is based on shape instead of such a large focus on the scale. check it out venusindex.com
  • andreabrabham
    andreabrabham Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. i will look into all of your recommendations.
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Sometimes the basics is the place to start. 374 pages of ins and outs would have killed it for me. Any detailed discussions of programming when I was a beginner, would have been met with a 'wut?"
    I agree Stronglifts 5x5 is the way to go IMHO. There is a group here on MFP if you want to check it out which would probably answer all of your questions. I have the book Starting Strength and found it to be very detailed and great...if you're a physicist. I just think it would discourage a beginner unless you can comprehend all the scientific details of why lifts should be done a certain way. Starting Strength is a great program, but the book can be overwhelming.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 for women is the name of the group.
  • HRCephei36
    Options
    Look into 8 count bodybuilders. And yes, run.
  • timbrom
    Options

You probably shouldn't read the whole thing cover to cover in one go, I'll grant you that. However, I found the descriptions in Stronglifts to be incomplete. My form and understanding of the lifts improved greatly after reading Starting Strength. Just my 2 cents.
  • timbrom
    Options

Cardio can really interfere with weight training. If you really, really, really love running, and you're OK with it interfering with your ability to follow a program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength, then you can make that decision. If not, just lift.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I started out with StrongLifts, as well, simply because too much information is/was a problem for me. I like to kind of EASE into something new, and having been kind of intimidated by "weights," it was the right place to start. So glad I did, as I have found something fitness-related that I am actually PASSIONATE about, LOL... :tongue:
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options

Cardio can really interfere with weight training. If you really, really, really love running, and you're OK with it interfering with your ability to follow a program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength, then you can make that decision. If not, just lift.

I generally feel that some cardio is always good, it accomplishes things that lifting doesn't do. It specifically trains the heart which is always a good thing! :flowerforyou:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Honestly, it doesn't have to be any more complicated than StrongLifts or Starting Strength. Small number of compound lifts, 2x or 3x a week, super easy to track, and will allow a beginner to make huge strides.

And yes, absolutely do cardio, too. For me, I just hop in the pool and do 40 minutes of laps after the weights. But pretty much anything will work.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bumping for me!
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/strength-training-for-women/ here you go my dear and there is also a group on here in community called Stronglifts for Women which should provide you with a ton of information to get you well on your way. Good luck momma!!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

You probably shouldn't read the whole thing cover to cover in one go, I'll grant you that. However, I found the descriptions in Stronglifts to be incomplete. My form and understanding of the lifts improved greatly after reading Starting Strength. Just my 2 cents.

This exactly for me.