controlling hunger...

Options
Help, I am having so much trouble controlling what I eat. I will do well for a day, but then the next day i am starving and I just eat everything i can. and if i don't have it at the house I will make or bake something just as good (brownies, anything chocolate and peanutbutter) then i get depressed and mad at myself for eating so much, then say i am going to do good, then don't. It's like i have no self-control. what do you do to make sure you are eating right? what helps you keep on track? I've also tried to set goals, but i just mess up and dont' finish them. I'm just having a really hard time with losing weight, and don't have much support. I had lost 7 lbs in april when i started, then i wasn't able to be on here for a while, and since then have gained 10 lbs. any advice would be much appreciated. :o) thanks.

Replies

• wackyvacky
    wackyvacky Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    hey, I know how you feel, there are many times when I am not as in control as I would like to be. What can sometimes help
    is if you allow yourself some "cheats"... I will get a McDonald's parfait, they are soo yummy and still fairly low cal.I have also
    allowed like a donut as a reward when I have lost 5lbs, needless to say I have only gotten one,, but at can sometimes help. Also if
    you take out all the really bad stuff from your kitchen can help, you can't make the brownies if you don't have the ingredients for it.
    Good luck to you and to all of us. It is a daily struggle for me, sometimes I am ahead and sometimes....well not so much..
  • parksam6
    Options
    i am finding i have similar problems. my big weakness is sweets, and when i need something to eat, i grab what we have, and not what i should eat. are you trying to fill up on healthy foods? lots of veg lots of fiber and protein. i actually added extra meals (breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner and snack/dessert) you can do that too, as they say that you should eat like 5-6 meals a day. the smaller your meals, the more likely your stomach is to shrink. when you go to the store, think about what you can eat until you go again. keep the treats to a minimum but dont totally cut cold turkey or you'll cheat. AND and this is very important: eat slowly. it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to register it has food in it, and it will tell you it is getting full not until after that. if you gobble everything down before that you find yourself with an over stuffed stomach and hungry for more in an hour or two. dont feel like you have to finish everything in one sitting. you can even save some of that meal for a smaller meal. eventually that little hungry feeling between meals will become easier to ignore, and better able to tell the difference between it and true hunger. i am trying a new goal of keeping each of my 4 meals less than 400 calories each. i earn more calorie intake with exercise.

i dont know if that helped because i think it seems kinda random. keep talking and you'll find yourself with more and more support!

Andi
  • parksam6
    Options
    oh, and have a look at your food diaries and see what your trends are. read labels and see what has tons of sugar, fake, high fructose etc. oh, and i discovered that i had my lifestyle activity setting wrong and had to start over. make sure you've got it accurate so you're not eating more calories than you are burning. man was that a let down...:blushing:
  • parksam6
    Options
    be kind to yourself. forgive yourself when you mess up. and remember to just take it one day at a time.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Help, I am having so much trouble controlling what I eat. I will do well for a day, but then the next day i am starving and I just eat everything i can. and if i don't have it at the house I will make or bake something just as good (brownies, anything chocolate and peanutbutter) then i get depressed and mad at myself for eating so much, then say i am going to do good, then don't. It's like i have no self-control. what do you do to make sure you are eating right? what helps you keep on track? I've also tried to set goals, but i just mess up and dont' finish them. I'm just having a really hard time with losing weight, and don't have much support. I had lost 7 lbs in april when i started, then i wasn't able to be on here for a while, and since then have gained 10 lbs. any advice would be much appreciated. :o) thanks.
    [/quote

I think I am in the same boat! I started out good but last month only lost 2lbs. That last pound comes back and fourth. Do you keep a food diary? Do you exercise daily or at least 3x week? I once thought you can exercise without dieting. But the food thing is very important. I go through phases were I can do really good to phases that I am just out of control hungry. I think I fear being hungry and not having enough energy and so I over compensate. My husband wants me to loose weight as well as himself. But he is worse than I and seem to eat way too much of the bad stuff. Seeing his delicious fattening food makes it hard to be good. Also I think hormonal issues play into the factor. (Sorry guys, had to throw that one in.) Tomorrow I have a plan to bring veggies and protein to work for snacks. They are going to have my favorite dessert tomorrow but I was so bad today that I am afraid I am going to blow it again. I guess I am going to have to eat more healthy bland food to get over the other stuff. I don't eat fries anymore. They don't taste good anymore. I am also going to have to find time to make healthy food. Easier said then done. My husband's frequent response is "lets just go out to eat tonight."
  • meshaffer
    meshaffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    dh and I had to literally plan what we are going to eat from sun up to sun down so we can stay on track. Protein and fiber will help you feel full longer. Also, you may have to deal with the hungry feeling a little the first week, but all of a sudden, your body adjusts and you won't feel as hungry.

I don't recommend using food as a reward, at least I cannot. I find that once I got it out of my system and my body "detoxed" from the sugar, I didn't want to go through the crappy feeling again.

Good luck! You can do it! :)
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I type in your quote box. (second paragraph):blushing:
  • LKissam
    LKissam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. :o) I am going to try really hard to do well this week.