Only lost 2lbs in 30 days. What am I doing wrong?

Options
Hi all,

I just had my third baby on August second so I'm getting back into my workout routines. I currently walk for anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes a day at an average pace of 3.5 usually doing anywhere between 1.5 and 3 miles. I am usually under or right around 1200 calories a day. Then I do some arm exercises with an 8lb dumb bell for an additional 20 minutes.

Pre pregnancy weight 125lbs
On August 2nd 175lbs
September 10th 147lbs
October 2nd 145lbs

Water intake is okay, 5- 16oz bottles a day.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Elafacwen
    Elafacwen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The plateau may actually be caused by your hormones trying to readjust themselves following having the baby. Breastfeeding can play a role in this as well. From what I remember from a lactation course I took at my college (sounds weird, but I am a dairy science major..) breastfeeding can cause a woman to burn an additional 500 calories per day.

Other than that, be sure you are accurately measuring your food for portion sizes as well. If you don't have a food scale, I HIGHLY suggest investing in one.

Keep at it!
  • WildanS
    Options
    What do you eat on average? If it's mostly insulin sensitive food, you might have some insulin spikes which inhibit fat loss. In my experience controlling your insuling is equally important as controlling your calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is probably too little
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and log everything you eat ?
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    congrats on losing so much weight.
    i think u should change your exercise routine a bit maybe
    just a suggestion :)
  • zkjmum
    zkjmum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me as though your body has gone into starvation mode, trying to hold onto fat stores. With your activity level, 1200 calories isn't enough. If you are breastfeeding, it's important you eat between 1800 and 2200 calories/day.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    2 lb in 30 days sounds pretty darn good - about half a pound a week - sustainable loss, healthy rate.

As long as you are netting at least 1200 you should be OK.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    2 lb in 30 days sounds pretty darn good - about half a pound a week - sustainable loss, healthy rate.

As long as you are netting at least 1200 you should be OK.

I was thinking the same thing...my goal is 2lbs in one month...
  • dragoness_leclerq
    Options
    How sure are you of your caloric intake? What kinds of foods are you eating and what are you using to measure? I know a lot of people do a good deal of sheer guestimating that leads to inaccuracies you wouldn't believe.

On another note, while your water intake is decent, I'd toss in at least another two or three bottles per day. Only other things I can really suggest are either intermittent fasting or upping your caloric intake temporarily as well as adding an additional 20 minutes to your work out depending on how many days AND adding some cardio. Walking is great for maintaining but when looking to lose what I presume is about 20lbs now, that's not going to get you where you want to be in the time you'd like. Running or even jogging would be much more beneficial. Now I'm by no means an expert having just barely broken out of a THREE MONTH plateau but a combination of all of the above helped tremendously.

Also, do you think there's any chance you've gained muscle mass?
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    It's Kate from Lost ( tv show ) !!!!!

I think slow and steady is fine, not sure about your intake but I would think it's low and you're in too much of a hurry

slow and steady is fine..not as if you're gaining
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    She is not in starvation mode....:noway:

And she has not gained muscle....:grumble:
  • liap
    liap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If it helps after I had both my children I was so on track with diet and exercise but I couldn't shake anything got a few months I was SO frustrated! I believe its hormones stick with it, your boys will eventually realise you are no longer pregnant! Also if u r breastfeeding you may hold weight x
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    She is not in starvation mode....:noway:

And she has not gained muscle....:grumble:

I can just about hear them rattling their juju beads when they say that rot. :D

OP - you're slim to start with so your tdee is probably relatively low and you have a narrow margin of calorie loss. 1/2lb a week is fine. It's great. You're doing a wonderful job. Keep it up and you'll be done in no time. :)
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Hi all,

I just had my third baby on August second so I'm getting back into my workout routines. I currently walk for anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes a day at an average pace of 3.5 usually doing anywhere between 1.5 and 3 miles. I am usually under or right around 1200 calories a day. Then I do some arm exercises with an 8lb dumb bell for an additional 20 minutes.

Pre pregnancy weight 125lbs
    On August 2nd 175lbs
    September 10th 147lbs
    October 2nd 145lbs

Water intake is okay, 5- 16oz bottles a day.

What am I doing wrong?

Just cuious about what the rush is. I'd think you'd want to eat enough to ensure adequate milk supply.
  • Darcie45
    Darcie45 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with most everyone else. If you are breast feeding, you are not eating enough calories. If it is hormones, your body thinks you are not eating enough, and if you are exercising a lot,you should be eating back at least some of the calories burned through exercise. Have you taken measurements? How are your clothes fitting. Try eating a few more healthy calories and see how the scale reacts. What does MFP have your calorie goal set as?
  • allymcnallen
    Options
    I should have added that I'm not breastfeeding.

Okay so 1/2 a week is still okay? I've read about these 2lb a week people and feel like I'm not doing enough! So I'll keep going and try to better my tracking with calories. I track everything but maybe the numbers are wrong in the app on certain foods.

My rush is that my little guy sleeps so well right now so it's the perfect time to go out and have my alone time while I leave him with dad. Plus I'm a photographer so or busy season is coming up and I'm afraid working out may not happen as much as I'd like it to. But I think chasing kids all day for smiles is exercise in it's self.

I also will look up some other stuff to do while exercising maybe my workouts are too predictable like someone said.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    those 2lb a week folks probably have over 100lbs to lose...

or

It's water weight

or

they are full of crap

I recorded 2lb lost on my update this week...but that was after 3 weeks...
  • barbie3000
    barbie3000 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    those 2lb a week folks probably have over 100lbs to lose...

or

It's water weight

or

they are full of crap

I recorded 2lb lost on my update this week...but that was after 3 weeks...

This. I have a ton to lose and I NEVER lose 2 lbs a week. You're not big, as someone said above, your TDEE will probably be fairly low. You're doing great!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Patience, Patience...