Food Calorie Surplus to Gain Muscle Mass…Really?

Options

Replies

• eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    My hypothesis: Given appropriate exercise and protein levels, a person can build muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit that will result in loss of body fat (and perhaps even weight loss). My contention is that the body fat contributes to the body’s calorie needs as well as food, and until there is insufficient body fat a person should expect to be able to gain muscle mass AND lose body fat and even body weight simultaneously. What think ye?

It's not enough to say all the pieces are available, the appropriate metabolic pathways need to be there, and the pathways need to be wide enough to support the load.

For example, an issue with fat stores is they release energy much more slowly than the body burns them during exercise. A 50 pound fat reserve will yield somewhere around 1200 calories a day of potential energy, but this energy is only accessible at a rate of around 50 calories per hour. This means the internal "batteries" (ie glycogen stores etc) are going to get hit during exercise. This in turn means a portion, possibly a significant portion, of caloric intake is going to restoration of glycogen etc. If you're in a high-protein, low-carb kind of regimen, this means burning ingested protein for fuel, instead of using it for muscle growth.

So to make your argument, you'll need to lay out the principle metabolic pathways, caloric intakes, etc, and demonstrate that Point A is actually connected to Point C, so to speak. Personally, I'd love to see someone lay out an energy balance map showing all this.

This is definitely food for thought. I like your approach to the issues, and I would also love to see the energy balance map.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'd like to figure this out myself.

I started lifting in March and was eating about 2200 a day. I was pretty inconsistent with lifting, as I had not found a program I liked. Managed to go up a size and gain about 10lbs. Dropped my calories to 2000 and started working out more when I could, maintained my weight. But I was starting to see very minimal fat loss.

Dropped to 1800 some weeks ago and have been doing an A/B, somewhat modified stronglifts program. Since then I have lost a pant size and only about 4 pounds. I know that my muscles are probably just more prominent now that there is less fat covering them but I have muscle in places I never noticed before, especially by back and forearms, which are now solid. I had a friend visit this weekend and she was feeling my arms and back and said she was shocked that my body was "hard' Sadly, I'm not losing much fat from my belly, where most of it is, but I am seeing more muscle in places that I never had much fat. :angry:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that in order to gain muscle mass, one needs to have a caloric surplus that includes appropriate quantities of protein (and of course muscle mass building exercises). My question focuses on the food piece of this equation – I want to know if body fat calories count toward the surplus.

My hypothesis: Given appropriate exercise and protein levels, a person can build muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit that will result in loss of body fat (and perhaps even weight loss). My contention is that the body fat contributes to the body’s calorie needs as well as food, and until there is insufficient body fat a person should expect to be able to gain muscle mass AND lose body fat and even body weight simultaneously. What think ye?

I am looking forward to the debate as to why this may not be true and learning a few things along the way...

It happens all the time on "The Biggest Loser". I think the difference is that those people are overweight/obese. A thin person with virtually no muscle mass will probably have to eat a calorie surplus.

Did you just use a reality TV show as evidence for...anything?
    I thought reality TV proved the theory of relativity?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I started lifting in March and was eating about 2200 a day. I was pretty inconsistent with lifting, as I had not found a program I liked. Managed to go up a size and gain about 10lbs. Dropped my calories to 2000 and started working out more when I could, maintained my weight. But I was starting to see very minimal fat loss.

Dropped to 1800 some weeks ago and have been doing an A/B, somewhat modified stronglifts program. Since then I have lost a pant size and only about 4 pounds. I know that my muscles are probably just more prominent now that there is less fat covering them but I have muscle in places I never noticed before, especially by back and forearms, which are now solid. I had a friend visit this weekend and she was feeling my arms and back and said she was shocked that my body was "hard' Sadly, I'm not losing much fat from my belly, where most of it is, but I am seeing more muscle in places that I never had much fat. :angry:

you have correctly diagnosed this as "losing the fat that was covering muscle" perhaps, in the beginning, you added a little muscle here and there, but that is just about it...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that in order to gain muscle mass, one needs to have a caloric surplus that includes appropriate quantities of protein (and of course muscle mass building exercises). My question focuses on the food piece of this equation – I want to know if body fat calories count toward the surplus.

I am looking forward to the debate as to why this may not be true and learning a few things along the way...

It happens all the time on "The Biggest Loser". I think the difference is that those people are overweight/obese. A thin person with virtually no muscle mass will probably have to eat a calorie surplus.

Did you just use a reality TV show as evidence for...anything?

Yeah, probaby a bad idea. But they were at a calorie deficit, and they have muscles at the end of the show. Well, most of them, anyway. I think someone earlier made much more sense though when they said that they likely had all that muscle to begin with carrying their 300 or 400 pound bodies, and losing the fat just made them visible. Now bulk? They wouldn't fit into most definitions of bulky because they look lean, not huge like a bodybuilder.
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    I suggest you read anything written by lyle McDonald or Alan Aragon. Muscle mass can be achieved hike eating at a deficit for newbie weight trainers. Other than that you need to eat at a surplus and expect to gain fat which you then can cut later.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I want to know if body fat calories count toward the surplus.

yes. this makes it possible to "recomp". this highly depends on BF level and how long you have been training though and will always lead to much slower muscle gain than a (clean)bulk-cut approach.

instead i would suggest to focus entirely an strength while cutting. by way of neuromuscular adaptation you can gain strength even when loosing muscle mass. when you start focusing more on hypertrophy after you finished your cut and eat in a surplus your muscle mass will shoot up due to better muscle-recruitment.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Your body will only reach out to use it's stored energy (fat) if it is deprived of easier access of energy (food), so yes, really.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER... this is based on very little actual knowledge, a bit of logic, a lot of reading, and probably influenced slightly by what I want to believe.

The body is constantly adapting to conditions... burning cals, storing cals, directing blood flow, etc etc. The list could probably go on forever regarding processes that change based on need/conditions.

So take the average person who works out once per day, 3ish times per week. The energy needs during and following the workout (assuming you give any credibility to the whole anabolic window idea) are very different than those while the person is at work sitting in front of a computer all day.

So if the person feeds properly around their workouts, why couldn't they build muscle during that 4 or 6 or 10 hours when muscles are being worked, damaged, and repaired? Then if they ended up in a slight calorie deficit over the course of a week, why wouldn't there be fat loss? I'm not saying those gains would be the same as those seen during a traditional bulk, but seems like they would be more than the "negligible gains" most people are willing to concede when on a deficit.

Yes, clearly this is influenced by all the reading I've done on things like IFing, carb backloading, calorie cycling, etc. But much the way the lay person's logic says you can't build if you're short on materials, the same logic says you can build if you have the materials when the body wants to build.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had a significant amount of fat that I was aiming at losing. I ate at a deficit, worked out 6 days a week/ 3 of those heavy resistance training, 3 boxing.
    After 10 weeks, I lost 5% BF and gained muscle. I ate appropriately 6 times a day (carb protein combo).
    I did not mean to gain muscle (and it was a gain, I had no shoulders, now I have significant shoulder muscles; biceps went up .5 inch each; thighs went up .5 inch each as well. Calves no longer fit in my knee high boots dammit)
    So I know it wasn't getting rid of the fat to see the muscle.
    I believe in some instances given the right genetics (I do build muscle very easily) you can do both simultaneously.
    I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing but I eased up on my whey and casein consumption as i needed to focus on the fat first since I was building muscle faster it seemed than I was losing the fat. I was begining to look a little like a linebacker with ridiculously cut legs. We'll see what that does for the next 10 weeks.
    Quite honestly, I don't believe I am turning fat into muscle. I think that my engine is burning while I tear and repear the muscles causing growth due to the high protein intake. But I'm not a scientist. Just my observations.
    BTW- I am a 44 year old woman.
  • TheBoev
    TheBoev Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So if the person feeds properly around their workouts, why couldn't they build muscle during that 4 or 6 or 10 hours when muscles are being worked, damaged, and repaired? Then if they ended up in a slight calorie deficit over the course of a week, why wouldn't there be fat loss? I'm not saying those gains would be the same as those seen during a traditional bulk, but seems like they would be more than the "negligible gains" most people are willing to concede when on a deficit.
    I think we were typing the exact same thing at the exact same time.
    THIS.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

You were in a surplus for a while and at maintenance for some time. New muscle was possible in that time for sure. Now you have started cutting body fat but increased the workouts. You are probably not gaining actual new muscle but the muscles can firm up from fluid. This is what most people see when they think they are getting lots of new muscle. Engorged muscles and less body fat covering it can make a big difference in appearance.

Body fat comes off differently for everyone but for most people it comes of extremities first. Arms, legs and face seem to lean out fast while the core areas hang onto body fat until the end. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to change this. It does help explain why people think their arms and legs are growing muscle even while dieting.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Any muscle mass that is gained while eating at a deficit will be minimal, and will only happen for the obese, those who have never trained, and those who are returning to training.

Again, it will be minimal. Muscle density may change (less intramuscular fat) but if someone is seeking to alter the overall dimensions of the muscle, then it is necessary to eat at a calorie surplus.

Strength is a whole different ball game, and people often confuse mass growth with strength increases. Many new lifters will note remarkable (for them) strength increases and will note some change in dimensions and believe it is adding to muscle mass and volume when it isn't.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a recomp for last 6 months and I would say it's working well.
    Majority of that time was a maintenance with a spell at deficit.

Need to get a second body analysis done but approximate figures are:
    2kg of weight lost, 4kg of fat lost and 2kg of muscle gained.

Being an old fart who is restricted by injuries and whose focus has been mainly cycling I'm hardly an ideal candidate but I'm very happy with progress to date.

Maybe a cut/bulk cycle might have produced better results but I think recomp is a valid choice for many people.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The question is why would anyone want to eat a prolonged deficit for any longer then they have to?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I had a significant amount of fat that I was aiming at losing. I ate at a deficit, worked out 6 days a week/ 3 of those heavy resistance training, 3 boxing.
    After 10 weeks, I lost 5% BF and gained muscle. I ate appropriately 6 times a day (carb protein combo).
    I did not mean to gain muscle (and it was a gain, I had no shoulders, now I have significant shoulder muscles; biceps went up .5 inch each; thighs went up .5 inch each as well. Calves no longer fit in my knee high boots dammit)
    So I know it wasn't getting rid of the fat to see the muscle.
    I believe in some instances given the right genetics (I do build muscle very easily) you can do both simultaneously.
    I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing but I eased up on my whey and casein consumption as i needed to focus on the fat first since I was building muscle faster it seemed than I was losing the fat. I was begining to look a little like a linebacker with ridiculously cut legs. We'll see what that does for the next 10 weeks.
    Quite honestly, I don't believe I am turning fat into muscle. I think that my engine is burning while I tear and repear the muscles causing growth due to the high protein intake. But I'm not a scientist. Just my observations.
    BTW- I am a 44 year old woman.

How do you know if you gained muscle or just developed existing, dormant muscle tissue? Dexa Scan? Hydrostatic testing? Bodpod readings? Observations are just anecdotal and don't prove hypertrophy at all.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on this were along the lines of this:
    The question then is....how tight can you get those timeframes? Can you do this on a week to week basis? At what point are you cycling so fast between bulking and cutting that the benefits of either/both are lost?

and this:
    Yes, clearly this is influenced by all the reading I've done on things like IFing, carb backloading, calorie cycling, etc. But much the way the lay person's logic says you can't build if you're short on materials, the same logic says you can build if you have the materials when the body wants to build.

I think there is something to the idea of calorie cycling for building muscle. Nobody would really argue about the effectiveness of bulk and cut cycles, but I have the same question about timeframes. How narrow can you make them?

If you were doing a bulk for 8 weeks and then a cut for 8 weeks, that doesn't mean that your body is anabolic for 8 straight weeks and then catabolic for 8 straight weeks. But you could average everything out and say, "Hey, during these 8 weeks I was in a surplus, and for these other 8 weeks I was in a deficit." But on a day or weekly basis, how often can you go in and out of a "surplus?" If I was in a surplus for these 12 hours and in a deficit for those 12 hours, yet over the course of the day I was technically in a deficit, could I not have built muscle in the time that I was in the surplus?

So I guess my question is how prolonged a surplus really must be in order to facilitate muscle growth.

I don't know if there are any studies about this kind of thing, so we might be stuck with speculation (please do enlighten if you know of one). I thought it was worth pondering anyhow.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on this were along the lines of this:
    The question then is....how tight can you get those timeframes? Can you do this on a week to week basis? At what point are you cycling so fast between bulking and cutting that the benefits of either/both are lost?

and this:

I think there is something to the idea of calorie cycling for building muscle. Nobody would really argue about the effectiveness of bulk and cut cycles, but I have the same question about timeframes. How narrow can you make them?

If you were doing a bulk for 8 weeks and then a cut for 8 weeks, that doesn't mean that your body is anabolic for 8 straight weeks and then catabolic for 8 straight weeks. But you could average everything out and say, "Hey, during these 8 weeks I was in a surplus, and for these other 8 weeks I was in a deficit." But on a day or weekly basis, how often can you go in and out of a "surplus?" If I was in a surplus for these 12 hours and in a deficit for those 12 hours, yet over the course of the day I was technically in a deficit, could I not have built muscle in the time that I was in the surplus?

So I guess my question is how prolonged a surplus really must be in order to facilitate muscle growth.

I don't know if there are any studies about this kind of thing, so we might be stuck with speculation (please do enlighten if you know of one). I thought it was worth pondering anyhow.

I dont know of any studies on this specifically but I do suspect it is not just an on/off switch.

When you are in a deficit you use stored energy. This is not always body fat but can be from glycogen stores. Your body will replenish those with some of your next surplus eating away at some of your assumed surplus. In your example of 12 hours shifts you were in a deficit for 12 hours and used stored energy. You might very well spend part of the 12 hour surplus paying that back. I dont think it reverses the same way though. Meaning glycogen will not be tapped into to build muscle when in deficit.

Muscle gain is a very slow process even in optimal conditions. Just eating a lot on workout days may give you fractional muscle gain if any at all after all other functions that have priority are "paid" for. Muscle protein synthesis is elevated for around 36 hours after a workout. If you are only eating at surplus for a few hours after you are really limiting muscle gain. You also lose some LBM while in a deficit. What will be the end overall gain. More than likely very little as most people realize when trying to do a recomp.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, from an evolutionary perspective, for the body to use fat reserves to build muscle when eating at a deficit. We didn't evolve in an environment where high carb, high fat food was available over the phone without someone even having to get their lazy butt of the sofa. In evolutionary terms, eating at a deficit = food shortage, and in a food shortage, fat means being able to survive longer. Burning fat to build muscle would be a huge liability, i.e. you'd starve to death much more quickly than people whose bodies didn't build muscle in a food shortage. i recently read about a study, where analysis of the bones of neanderthals showed that 75% of them had suffered from a food shortage at some point in their lives. That suggests that the ability to survive a food shortage was a major factor in human evolution.

So any genes for building muscle while eating at a deficit would have been lost from human populations, due to natural selection, because people who had them died early on in food shortages, and we're descended from the survivors of food shortages, not the ones who died first.

Exceptions to this rule (e.g. noob gains in people who have a too high body fat percentage when they start training) are less relevant in evolutionary terms, because it would be extremely hard to have a too high body fat percentage if you only have palaeolithic technology, additionally, no-one would be sedentary.... so what happens to the bodies of people who are sedentary and have a too high body fat percentage is not something natural selection could act upon, because it didn't happen in our evolutionary past.