Confused about calories and net calories

Options
mariemosher92
mariemosher92 Posts: 12
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So after reading other forums, I am so confused about calories and net calories. I stick to around 1200 calories, but after reading seems that some say to eat more net calories. I'm 4' 11" and weigh 122, starting weight was 145, but I've been stuck for about 4 months. I want to be around 105 pr at least have a flatter stomach, smaller butt and thighs! Smaller arms would be ideal:) and please add me, looking for more active friends on MFP

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say since your are only 4'11" that you should be okay netting slightly under 1200 cals. I def would not go below 1000 net though, as it is difficult to get enough fat, protein, vitamins and minerals on less than 1200, let alone less.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    You are a great example why I hate blanket statements like 'you can't eat less than 1200 calories' for YOUR stats this IS appropriate depending upon your activity level. I'm guessing if you have been stuck for that long, you are likely either really active and not fueling your body sufficiently OR you are actually eating more than you think you are. Do you have a scale? Weigh everything? Take cheat days?

You can try reading:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

For more ideas/links.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Here it is in simple terms. Your net calories are the calories after you subtract your exercise. So if you have a goal of 1200 calories per day (and you eat them all) and your exercise is 300 calories, then your net calories is 900 (1200-300). As to your "stall", 4 months certainly qualifies. @Koldnomore asked some great questions that are a start towards figuring out how to restart.
  • aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So after reading other forums, I am so confused about calories and net calories. I stick to around 1200 calories, but after reading seems that some say to eat more net calories.

Calories = food you eat ..............................................................................Example: 1600 calories
    Exercise = the amount of calories you burn during exercise.............. Example: 400 calories
    Net calories = the difference when you subtract exercise calories ...Example: 1200 calories

I find i like exercising more.. because i don't like starving :)
  • mariemosher92
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I am will be starting resistance training tomorrow:) and a food scale will probably help, I measure everything that I can and will reinforce eating clean
  • WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Scales defenatly help. I used to go by cups, and when I actually started weighing the foods there was a big difference!
This discussion has been closed.