Everytime I start lifting, I stop

Options
I'm on a quest to tone up my entire body, after having lost 40 pounds. I'm obviously much smaller, but despite all the weight loss haven't seen much of a change in my muscle tone except for my calves (which are awesome). But now, I'd like to tone my thighs and abs primarily. I've heard time and time again that the way to do this is to do a combination of cardio and heavy lifting (in addition to healthy eating). I've definitely got the cardio and healthy eating thing down, and am trying to tackle the heavy lifting part.

I don't dislike lifting... matter fact, I kind of like it. Deadlifts, weighted squats and lunges are usually what I do. BUT my problem comes with how sore I am afterward - like for the next four days. It's sore to the point where I can still do cardio, but wouldn't dare pick up a weight. But it sucks because I *wanna* lift weights and know I should to reach my goal.

SO - the question is: what do folks (especially women) out there do to recover from the soreness quickly? I'd like to lift 2-3 times a week, but now I'm at once a week (barely). Is there some kind of supplement I should be taking to help me recover? Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    How much are you lifting? Maybe try just the bar or a lesser amount and then you wouldn't be so sore for so long.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Are you resting between sets and warming up and cooling down properly? Drinking plenty of water? Getting plenty of protein to support muscle recovery? That's pretty much all you should be doing.

Use lower weights to start out and do all of the above.

Personally, I love that sore feeling, and I think it's sad that if you keep at the weights for a couple weeks, the soreness stops happening. But that's probably good news for you.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/sore-muscles-dont-stop-exercising

It's due to using your muscles in ways they are not used to. As you get used to the exercises, the soreness will stop. Just keep at it, and it will get better!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other advice offered up, I would suggest working different muscle groups each time you lift. That way, even if your legs are sore you will be working shoulders or back, so the leg soreness won't matter. If you are still sore when leg day comes around, ya' just gotta' suck it up. :flowerforyou:
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I drink tons of water and make sure to get extra protein on days I lift.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Once you get used to it the soreness will be less intense. Like everyone else said protein, hydrate, stretch all great ideas. Please keep lifting you will thank yourself and kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
  • danistirling
    Options
    I just started lifting as well and my friend and I did arms and back with a little abs. I can barely move my arms, they're basically useless haha. I think I didn't stretch very well, but I think its also because I'm not used to lifting. I think the more you lift the better the soreness will get. Then when your not experiencing the soreness anymore you can try the next weight :)
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I discovered Scivation Extend. Its something you drink during your workout and it works. I was so sore and then I drank it and then I wasn't so now I have it every day. You can get it on Amazon.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    It was said above.. The soreness disappears in not too long. If i take a few weeks off training it feels like I got stomped by a gang. So long as its just soreness, lift the damn weights. You'll probably feel better halfways thru the workout and you will more than likely be able to perform as usual throughout the whole session. My DOMS usually lasts a week then after that I just get fatigued sometimes.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/sore-muscles-dont-stop-exercising

It's due to using your muscles in ways they are not used to. As you get used to the exercises, the soreness will stop. Just keep at it, and it will get better!

This.. I had a circumferential body lift with a major ab repair a year ago... I just started back doing deads and squats this past week (been lifting for 6 months now but no core stuff before now) I did Deads yesterday and went from 5 set at 135 x 8 reps last week to 5 sets ascending to my last 2 sets at 225 lbs. for 8 reps. along with added weight on the rest of my back routine. I woke up this morning extremely sore (haven't had soreness this bad in a long time..) But today was leg day so i braced up, hit the gym and got through it... Was it difficult? Oh Yeah at times lol... but when you understand the difference between an injury and just plan ole soreness the only thing standing between you and your next weight lifting routine is yourself... Make sure you stretch good after you finish... Best of Luck
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    How to get rid of the soreness? Do the same lifts that made you sore in the first place. Pretty soon, you likely won't be nearly as sore afterward.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah its a part of lifting to some extent. But I can promise that the more you do it the better it will get. Also, lunges are notorious for soreness, just take it easy at first and power through.

Also, you really don't need this:
    I discovered Scivation Extend. Its something you drink during your workout and it works. I was so sore and then I drank it and then I wasn't so now I have it every day. You can get it on Amazon.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm on a quest to tone up my entire body, after having lost 40 pounds. I'm obviously much smaller, but despite all the weight loss haven't seen much of a change in my muscle tone except for my calves (which are awesome). But now, I'd like to tone my thighs and abs primarily. I've heard time and time again that the way to do this is to do a combination of cardio and heavy lifting (in addition to healthy eating). I've definitel got the cardio and healthy eating thing down, and am trying to tackle the heavy lifting part.

I don't dislike lifting... matter fact, I kind of like it. Deadlifts, weighted squats and lunges are usually what I do. BUT my problem comes with how sore I am afterward - like for the next four days. It's sore to the point where I can still do cardio, but wouldn't dare pick up a weight. But it sucks because I *wanna* lift weights and know I should to reach my goal.

SO - the question is: what do folks (especially women) out there do to recover from the soreness quickly? I'd like to lift 2-3 times a week, but now I'm at once a week (barely). Is there some kind of supplement I should be taking to help me recover? Thanks for the advice!

Getting that sore happens like..... four or five times. Then it goes away. I haven't gotten sore from lifting in a long time.

If you stick with it for any length of time the soreness will go away.

And then you will miss it.
  • jojeh2011
    jojeh2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! it sounds like i should just push through it, and with time it'll get easier. I especially like the idea of alternating target areas... maybe i'll do ab-leg-ab and see where that's get me (and how I feel) about a month later. thanks for encouragement guys! I'm ready to see some changes and I really hope lifting will get me there. :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you have to work through it a few times and then it will ease significantly.

When I first started squats my quads were so sore that I screamed and scared our cat when he jumped on my lap. I nearly went through the roof when my wife squeezed my leg under the table. Needless to say my family found this hilarious :grumble:

But I went back to it two days later, and two days later after that. After a couple of weeks, the extreme soreness stopped.

All of the following have also helped me -

A short cardio warm up - five or ten minutes walking, just to raise the heart rate a little.
    Dynamic stretching before lifting.
    Foam roll before lifting, as well as after.
    'Shoulder dislocations', as recommended in the StrongLifts program.
    Warm up sets with 50% and 75% of your working weight. As you get really heavy, you'll need more warm up sets.
    Static stretches after lifting (though not before).
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a proper warm up and cool down before and after?

Ive been lifting for a bit over a year now and I only get really bad soreness when I dont take the time and effort to stretch out my body afterwards, patiently, for at least 7-10 minutes. Im thorough and it has not only kept me from being too sore, but it's also kept me from getting injured from going too long without pampering the muscles Im building up. Foam roller at least once a week also helps like crazy.

Dont go into a lifting session with cold, dry, unlubed up joints.
    Dont leave a lifting session with pumped up, tight, traumatized muscles.

:heart:

GOOD LUCK!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know this will irk some on MFP (and I may lose some friends over this), but...

Do less to start. Go easy...go through the motions...get in the habit...but don't do so much. There will be plenty of time in a month or two to kick up the intensity.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I was going write what Jof wrote. Less the first few times, build up, by week 3-4 (perhaps a little longer) DOMS mostly go down.

Also, I really like rollers.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Like a few other people have said, the doms will disappear, for the most part, if you continue to lift. It sucks but partway through training, you will warm up and it won't be so bad. If you stop lifting, it will just get sore again each time you start up.

I will disagree on it not reappearing if you continue to lift. I get serious doms every time I change my training cycle. As I transition to a meet, I do a lot of heavy singles to prep. After a meet, I drop the weight and hit the volume again. The transition kicks my *kitten* every single time. I just did meet number 18 and am on the early part of high volume/low intensity and my quads hate it when I go down stairs or sit on the toilet. I've just learned to suck it up and walk it off.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I know this will irk some on MFP (and I may lose some friends over this), but...

Do less to start. Go easy...go through the motions...get in the habit...but don't do so much. There will be plenty of time in a month or two to kick up the intensity.

I AGREE WITH THIS - and also think its awesome if, when you're starting, you add in bodyweight work when too tempted to go nuts with the weights.