I'm just not satisfied any more........

Options
Skrib69
Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
I seem to be going through one of those phases where no matter what I eat, it doesn't seem to satisfy me. I don't feel hungry, but I am not really enjoying my food and I finish my dinner and think OK, what next? It's at times like this that I start eating loads of crap all through the evening. It will probably last a few weeks. Anybody else find this and how do you deal with it??

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Yes, I drink hot tea, chew gum, suck on suckers or hard candy and munch on carrot sticks this seems to help some
  • rachaelbarton
    rachaelbarton Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have one or two of those days a week, on average, following several days of "being good". If I keep up a really solid exercise regime it's not as much of an issue. For one, I have less time to stare into my fridge. Secondarily, I usually feel more like showering and sleeping when I'm done than ruining everything I just did. That being said, totally been there. It's just a rut, and I'm starting to realize the motivation to eat well and exercise will not always be there. It's a discipline thing, and you really just can't even give yourself the option to break your stride.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep - I had it for the last two weeks - so I went out and got something I really wanted this weekend - a DQ Waffle bowl ice cream...750 calories - and enjoyed every bite of it....
    I am back to eating sensibly and enjoying my food (even the chicken! ;-) again.... And I don't feel the need to taste everything anymore....
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It happens to most people during a diet. This is normally when people cave in and lose the battle. If you can get through times like this you are golden...

I know that didn't help much except to let you know it happens to everyone. Good luck and hang in there! :drinker:
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am having one of those days today. I let myself have the "day off" yesterday so today I feel like I can't give in. It is hard, especially at this very moment when work is slow and I am sitting thinking about it. I wish I could offer some advice, but at least you know you aren't alone. And now I realize that too!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    without looking at your diary maybe add a little fat it's the king of satisfaction
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    I do this too. You are not alone. Actually this whole week I've been thinking "when will I stop wanting to eat everything in the house."
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's about the time I start looking for new recipes or browsing through my current recipe collection for something I haven't made for a while. The same recipes week after week can get super boring so you have to keep it interesting with new combinations, spices, marinades, cooking techniques, etc
  • Skrib69
    Options
    without looking at your diary maybe add a little fat it's the king of satisfaction

A greasy burger and chips sounds fantastic! You are the best!
  • Skrib69
    Options
    Eat more of the foods you want, but just stay within your calorie goal. Pizza, ice cream, etc. Eat it all. Not eating foods you like cause these big binges.

This is where it gets tough, because I do follow IIFYM. Problem is I crave to eat the entire fridge beyond my macros! I must stay strong!
  • Skrib69
    Options
    I do this too. You are not alone. Actually this whole week I've been thinking "when will I stop wanting to eat everything in the house."

That's about the size of it! I am not alone!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sucks! Just got to go through it one day at a time I guess. And I've been going over on carbs lately because of it (although my goal is still lower than MFP's default, so whatever I guess).
  • Skrib69
    Options
    Yep - I had it for the last two weeks - so I went out and got something I really wanted this weekend - a DQ Waffle bowl ice cream...750 calories - and enjoyed every bite of it....
    I am back to eating sensibly and enjoying my food (even the chicken! ;-) again.... And I don't feel the need to taste everything anymore....

Sounds appealing. There is Ben & Jerries in the freezer AND Hagen Daz. Good job I'm not at home!
  • mkmerrill
    mkmerrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is my whole life. I have learned to tell myself that I have had plenty and hit my calorie goal..then I just have to stop eating. I drink water and tea. I am learning the difference between enough and full. Always wanting to be full is how I got my fat *kitten*.
  • sweet_blasphemy
    sweet_blasphemy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yup, it happens. Distraction works best for me - unless I can find something to get my mind off treats I'm gonna torture myself thinking about it for the rest of the day. Exercise is my best distraction and has the added benefit of appetite suppression, so that by the time I'm done I have a few extra calories so I CAN have that treat, and that I'll be satisfied with a reasonable portion of it.
  • Skrib69
    Options
    This is my whole life. I have learned to tell myself that I have had plenty and hit my calorie goal..then I just have to stop eating. I drink water and tea. I am learning the difference between enough and full. Always wanting to be full is how I got my fat *kitten*.

Good point!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are or how active but I am a 5'6" woman and I eat more calories than you. I average between 1800-2000 with some high and some low days, but mostly in that range. I would question whether you're eating enough. You might want to do one of the TDEE calculators and see how those numbers stack up compared to what you're doing. Your profile pic shows someone doing martial arts of some form and if you're still doing that regularly or other very active exercises you'll need to account for that. Just something to consider.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    With your protein levels so low its understandable. MFP has them set really low, for that reason that should be hitting or exceeding those grams per day. And they have carbs set really high, they will make you crave food. So btw the two thats enough to explain everything
  • linznzeusfitnfight
    Options
    yup, i hate when these ruts happen! thats why i started giving myself a free day or weekend, just depending. except i starting noticing the sugary or high fat goodies i wanted made me feel kinda sick ha :P