Work out at home?

Options
I find myself very busy and can't work out everyday at the gym. I was wondering what your guys favorite work outs to do at home are?

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Pull ups.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Its cheaper to buy your own gym than to join one if you have the room!

So many people buy good equipment with the best intentions and then never use it, so it ends up in the free ads or on EBAY for a fraction of the cost unused.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I do body weight exercises- push-ups against the wall or a table, lunges, crunches, triceps exercises with little 3-pound hand weights. (If you don't have weights, try 1 pound (16 oz) cans from your pantry!) Bodybuilding.com actually has a lot of good, well-explained exercises for beginners.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ZWOW (check on YouTube for her free workouts) and Bodyrock (also on YouTube, or FB). You barely need any equipment for the ZWOW workouts--maybe some 5, 8, and a 20# dumbbell) but they are great. I used to spend much more time in the gym, but got in even better shape doing these sort of short-but-intense workouts...AT HOME! :)
    Good luck.
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels DVD and group challenges like abs challenge, squats challenge, arm challenges, circuit challenges etc...joing the MFP groups is motivating a lot.
  • Punkin7411
    Punkin7411 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Beachbody: Turbo Jam Fat Blaster, Turbo Fire, Chalean Extreme, Hip Hop Abs, walking/running. I create my own hybrid of all these.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

So many people buy good equipment with the best intentions and then never use it, so it ends up in the free ads or on EBAY for a fraction of the cost unused.

My wife and I were paying around 100 bucks/month total. So 1200 a year. I bought a rack/bench combo for 800. Spent 400 on weights. A few little things here and there and BAM, my own gym.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of youtube. There a ton of full length work out videos on there for free. I use this when I can't get to the gym.
  • KT193
    KT193 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I only workout out at home and I love it. I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and her kick boxing workout. Have to say I find her really motivating!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Zumba
    Walk at Home
    Exercise bike
    Tiffany Rothe
    Blogilaties
    Fitness Blender

Just a few that are easy enough to do from home. Grab some leg weights, some hand weights & go for it.

Use some resistance bands.
    Buy a kettlebell
    Grab a fitness ball
    Do some pushups, planks & squats
    Go walking
    Go running
    Use the playground

Who needs a gym?
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    what about plan old jumping jacks. nowloss.com/jj
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

My wife and I were paying around 100 bucks/month total. So 1200 a year. I bought a rack/bench combo for 800. Spent 400 on weights. A few little things here and there and BAM, my own gym.

OK...I have to throw this out there cause I'm proud of my "frugalness" :happy:: My husband and I bought a rack/bench set with 400 lbs of weight, an Olympic bar and dumbbells WITH delivery for $120. The guy was a military man and was just needing to get rid of it. Granted we prefer metal weights to the big, bulky plastic ones that we have, it was still a steal. Thank you Craigslist!! :flowerforyou: :drinker:

To answer the OP's question, we lift at home. I also have 30DS, play a dancing game with my kids on the Wii and run right in front of our townhome. I like the running option because I can run without my dog on the leash and don't have to worry about other cars since we live in a gated community. Our dog can also go home when he's tired of running since he is prone to acting like he's tired or has to use the bathroom every .10 mile. :tongue:

Edited because I didn't answer the OP's question.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitnessblender.com. They have a ton of free workouts, many that don't require any equipment.
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    I use Beachbody workouts, they have a wide variety of programs for different tastes and you don't need a lot of equipments to do them at home.

My 2 favorite : Body Beast and P90x. You should check out Turbofire and Chalean Extreme, they are great program too.
  • LifeJacketWaterJogger
    Options
    you tube has numerous videos for every workout you can think of!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    bump i do dvd work outs rather then go to the gym. i love it
  • ready4anewme13
    ready4anewme13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love TurboFire and TurboJam. I've also done HipHop Abs and Rockin Body. I've actually been doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds, I burn just as many calories doing that as I did with TurboFire!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For me it was about finding something I liked.

Netflix (by mail) has hundreds of workout DVDs ...I could test drive a new one every week. Now I have a good size DVD library: cardio, weights, pilates, body weight, and yoga.

collagevideo.com is really helpfull to narrow choices: they have video clips, professional & amatuer reviews. Equipment requirements are listed, choreography level, impact level .....makes it hard to screw up & get the wrong DVD.

Favorite instructors:
    Kelly Coffey Meyer
    Leslie Sansone
    Chris Freytag
    Jessica Smith
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you can at all, get real weights at home.

Because I've been contracting a bit and living from a motorhome, I've got myself a set of resistance tubes. Seem to be good so far, but want to make a better device to hold/use them with.
    Take up very little space and more importantly, for me, very little weight - while still offering a lot of resistance, of course.