Advice Needed....

Options
Hi I am new. I have been on a lot of different plans. I have been doing Jenny Craig for two weeks (I bought a lifetime membership back in 03.) It is expensive and I feel like I could do this on my own with diet, committment and exercise. Just need advice if a lot of people follow a diet plan on here or make their own food/exercise choices. Thanks :)

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Any "DIET" that makes you buy their food, is a bad one ... Your "DIET" should consist of foods that you can actually buy in a supermarket or farmer's market ... I quote the word diet, since it should really be a lifestyle change, I.e. something you can stick with for a lifetime, with built in flexibility, not an ALL or NOTHING type deal ...

ETA: People totally misuse the word "DIET" ... Please, look up the definition of the word "diet" ... :)
  • Greeneyesgirl43
    Options
    Sorry I said "diet". I know it is a lifestyle change. Anymore advice from the peeps out there?
  • Greeneyesgirl43
    Options
    Anyone doing JC or NS right now or do you make your own meals and choices? Thanks.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal works where you make your own food choices. Here it is basically about calories in vs calories out. Eat whatever you want, just make sure you are under the calorie number MFP has given to you

The thing nice about this place is that by logging all your food choices you become more aware of what you are eating and what is in it
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1,200 cals, lift heavy weights and enjoy some junk food once a week.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tigerbite. Any weight loss plan that wants you purchase their foods isn't going to be a good one. You may lose weight initally, but you aren't really learning how to do this on your own. In order to maintain your goal weight you will want to have the tools to help you stay there. Healthy eating, controling portions, and learning to make healthy choices on your own.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's quite a variety here. I've done several diet programs/plans and have found this to work the best for me because I've been able to learn what works best for me through some trial and error. No need to buy expensive plans or products, just eat the food you like withinn reasonable portions.

There's also a wide variety of exericse levels here. Some are runners, some are into strength training, some do a balance of both, some enjoy walking or swimming, etc. Many find working out at home works best for them and like workout DVDs. The most important thing with exercise is that you find something (or a few things) that you'll enjoy so that you stick with it. Consistency is the key!
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1,200 cals, lift heavy weights and enjoy some junk food once a week.
    QFT
  • yisanghoon
    Options
    I have lost 110 lbs since April of 2012, and recently gained 10 of it back (purposely) while I was bulking.
    I hadn't used myfitnesspal during my journey up until this past week (I can't believe i didn't use this before as it saves me soooo much time), but my 'diet' was based on a macro nutrient count (fat, carbs, protein).
    I do strength/weight training so my macro count would be different from you as every individual is different.
    If your plan is to exercise daily, I can recommend that you count your macros as such: 40protein / 30carbs / 30fats
    I can go into more detail if you're interested in trying this out.
    The pros of counting macros is that you'll really never be famished and you can eat whatever you want AS LONG AS you fit the foods you are eating into your macros for the day.
    The cons would be that you have to calculate everything you are eating, but weight loss / cutting / bulking requires work and nothing ever comes easy.

Whatever you plan on doing (as there really isn't a 'right' way since everyone is different), I sincerely hope you achieve your goals!:smile:
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :bigsmile:

You yourself know what you need to do - whether you eat right or wrong. I like my munchies and carbs a bit too much, but you will find that you can generally eat what you want if you manage to get the right amount of exercise in.

With exercise you add the amount of calories you are able to eat for that day - as mentioned above you can go to your settings (don't worry it can be a bit daunting when u are new but you'll figure it out) and see your personal details for what you want to lose a week. There will be weeks when it's not so good, and weeks when it is better. I would recommend you get a tape measure and take your measurements down maybe fortnightly or monthly, sometimes when the scale doesn't move you'll find that you are losing inches.

Good luck :)
  • Andy_83
    Andy_83 Posts: 270
    Options
    I think it's finding something that you know you will stick with, there's no point only eating food you don't enjoy as it'll never last. I managed to cut out puddings and things like crisps, it was tough for a couple of weeks but after that you realise a lot of the time you are eating them for eating them sake (when does a biscuit ever actually fill you up), with the cravings gone for that sort of stuff I now eat whatever I want be it carbs, extra bowls of cereal between meals etc. I know a slice of cake won't fill me up so why bother with it.

That works for me but as I say it's whatever will work for each individual. After that try and do a bit of exercise so you burn more caleries than you eat in a day and you hopefully will see steady improvements. I never really wanted to lose more than about 2 pounds a week as if you lose a stone in 2 months you'll be chuffed anyway, it seems like a healthier pace and with still eating good meals and regular you don't slow your metabolism down which you do if you start trying to skip meals.
  • Greeneyesgirl43
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! :)