Cooking Challenge: Chickpeas

Options

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make mine tomorrow! I haven't worked out how many calories are in it yet or any customizations I'm going to make, but it's a stew with chickpeas, potatoes, and plenty of spices.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    darn it ! I almost grabbed some at the store the other day to try something new b/c Ive never had them and my husband looked at me like i was nuts so I put them back!!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    So here's the plans... I do think we'll vote on the favorite recipe, because that way someone gets to pick the next ingredient or theme for the challenge! Recipes are due on Saturday. On Saturday I'll also post the next challenge (so I'll come up with the next ingredient, but following that the winner will get to choose). From Saturday until Wednesday people can vote on their favorite recipes. I'll tally it up and the winner will get to pick the next challenge, let me know about it, and it will go up Saturday!

Sound good?
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    So here's the plans... I do think we'll vote on the favorite recipe, because that way someone gets to pick the next ingredient or theme for the challenge! Recipes are due on Saturday. On Saturday I'll also post the next challenge (so I'll come up with the next ingredient, but following that the winner will get to choose). From Saturday until Wednesday people can vote on their favorite recipes. I'll tally it up and the winner will get to pick the next challenge, let me know about it, and it will go up Saturday!

Sound good?

Whose Saturday are we going by?
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    I'm going to make lamb tagine, its one of my favourites and is fab in the slow cooker. Will post the recipe later when I get home from work.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

Sound good?

Good point. My Saturday. Or a week from from when I posted this up.
    But Saturday evening, Pacific Standard Time.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

Sound good?

Good point. My Saturday. Or a week from from when I posted this up.
    But Saturday evening, Pacific Standard Time.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make lamb tagine, its one of my favourites and is fab in the slow cooker. Will post the recipe later when I get home from work.

Oooo.... I found some awesome delicious recipes for tangine the other day but I don't have the proper clay pots for it. Do you use earthenware or just what you have in the house? I'm interested to know if I can make this without buying a dedicated pot/pots....
  • shannon428
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Chickpeas and Greens with Moroccan Spices (Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Deborah Madison, p. 309)

INGREDIENTS:
    1 large bunch chard, stems removed
    3 cups cooked chickpeas, or 2 15oz cans, rinsed
    6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
    Salt
    2 tsp Sweet Paprika
    1 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
    1.5 tsp Ground Cumin
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    3 Tbsp olive oil
    1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
    2 Tbsp Parsley, chopped
    1 white onion, chopped
    1 bell pepper, diced into 1/2-inch squares
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1 small dried red chile (i used 1 tsp red pepper flakes)
    4 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
    optional: 1 preserved lemon, diced into 1/4 inch pieces (I omitted)

DIRECTIONS:
    Boil or steam the greens until wilted, then chop coarsely and set aside. Cover the chickpeas with cold water and gently rub them between your hands to loosen the skins. Tip the bowl so that the skins flow off. Drain.

Pound the garlic in a mortar with 1/2 tsp of salt until smooth, or mince it with a knife. Add the dried spices, 1 tsp oil to moisten the mixture, and 2 Tbsp of the cilantro and the parsley. Pound until a rough paste is formed.

Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, thyme, and dried chile. Cook for 7 minutes, then stir in the garlic paste, chickpeas, and 1/2 cup water or bean broth. When the onion is soft, add the tomatoes, greens, 1/2 tsp salt, and another 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining cilantro and the lemon and serve. (Note: serve with couscous, rice, or barley)

CALORIES PER SERVING: 309

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 4

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
    This actually turned out much better than I expected (not being a fan of whole chickpeas). Very flavorful and filling. Despite the long list of ingredients, and lack of a mortar and pestle, it was quite easy to make - it took a mere 1/2 hour start to finish. Next time, I would grind the pepper before I try to mash it with my spoon - didn't work too well and I ended up with whole peppercorns throughout the dish - surprising to bite into. I served it along couscous. My husband really liked it a lot, and I'm looking forward to left overs for lunch today - especially since the recipe indicates that it gets better the second day.

I will try to post a picture if I am able to take a good one today.
  • shannon428
    Options
    Grrrr...sorry, no photo. Camera battery wasn't charged. :(
    It is "better" the second day, btw. :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Sookha Chana (or Chana Masala) - Recipe was derived from Sookha Kala Chana on About.com, but modified to my taste and using regular chick peas instead of black ones (which I can't seem to find anywhere - do these have another name?). I used 1/3 of the oil recommended and opted to throw all my veg through a food processor to make more of a gravy than a chunky stew. I also used garam masala in lieu of the red chilli and mango powders - didn't have either of these on hand.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp canola oil
    1 tsp cumin seeds (I used more, to taste)
    2 green chillies slit lengthwise
    1 inch piece fresh grated ginger
    3-5 cloves garlic
    1 large onion chopped fine
    2 tsps coriander powder
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    1- 540mL can chick peas, drained
    2 medium tomatoes, processed
    1 tsp garam masala
    1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves
    Juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon

Pretty simple recipe. I started by rough chopping the garlic, ginger and onions and mincing them in a food processor for a minute. Set this aside and did the same with the tomatoes. Heat the oil in a deep pan on medium heat and add cumin seeds. Cook until they 'splutter'. Add the green chillies and cook until they stop spluttering, another 2-3 minutes. Now add the ginger, garlic and onion and cook until soft. Add coriander, cumin and tumeric and mix. Cook until fragrant. Add the chick peas, tomatoes and about 1/2 cup water (or less**). Stir well and lower the heat to medium-low. Let this simmer for 15-20 mins, or until it thickens a bit. Add garam masala and chopped cilantro. Garnish with lime juice before serving.

Serves 3 main, 6 side dishes.

I had mine topped with low fat sour cream and a 12 grain tortilla.

** I added about 3/4 cup of water to this recipe, although it originally called for none. Many recipes online for Chana Masala advise to use water to make a gravy. I would add less water than I did next time around.

I would also include some red chili powder next time to increase the heat. It wasn't spicy at all - very flavourful, but no heat. I think I'll try adding spinach near the end as well, to bump up the veg content and make it a bit more substantial. Overall, a good dish and easy to make.

For 1/3 of the recipe:
    Calories 237
    Carbs 37
    Fat 8
    Protein 10
    Fiber 10
    Sodium 388

Very low cal, high protein and high fiber for a decent sized serving. Good fats too! Will certainly make this again.
    Cheers :bigsmile:
    Meag
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    I have to postpone my recipe until Thursday! But I'm excited!
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Here is the recipe, you can substitute apricots for the squash which is really tasty

I don't have a tagine, I just cook it in my slow cooker adding the couscous later or do it in a deep pan like a wok and cook it on low. Its one of my favourite recipes and quite low cal.

Lamb and Butternut Squash Tagine

Serves 6-8
    Ready in 2 hours 5 minutes

Ingredients
    800g leg of lamb, cut into 3cm pieces
    1 and a 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 large cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 and a 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    2 good pinches of saffron
    410g tin chickpeas, drained
    450ml lamb stock
    400g tin plum tomatoes
    200g couscous
    30g sunflower seeds
    2 handfuls of roughly chopped coriander
    A handful of roughly chopped mint
    550g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2.5cm chunks
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Nutritional Information
    Per serving:
    371 calories
    Method: How to cook lamb and butternut squash tagine
    1. Brown the lamb in batches in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over a high heat with a tablespoon of the oil.

2. Add a bit of water to the saucepan to deglaze the pan between frying each batch (this little liquid adds even more flavour to the final dish). Set aside.

Sal's Tips
    1. Instead of butternut squash, you could add 100g dried apricots or prunes.

2. Try mixing some shredded mint with 0% fat Greek yoghurt and a little water to make a mint sauce to drizzle over your tagine.
    3. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the onion over a medium heat for five minutes until slightly golden, stirring occasionally.

4. Add the garlic, cinnamon, cumin seeds, ginger and saffron and stir over the heat for 30 seconds to release the aromas of the spices.

5. Add the meat back into the onion with the chickpeas, stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for one hour.

6. Meanwhile, put the couscous into a large bowl.

7. Add the sunflower seeds and a third of the herbs and cover with 200ml cold water. Set aside for the water to be absorbed.

8. After one hour, add the butternut squash and the remaining herbs, apart from about a tablespoon, to the tagine and cook for a further 15 minutes, uncovered.

9. After the 15 minutes has passed, season the tagine well.

10. Fork through the couscous to separate the grains and spread evenly over the top of the tagine. Cover and simmer for a further 15 minutes.

11. Serve immediately, ensuring there's some lamb and couscous in each spoonful and also a sprinkling of the remaining herbs.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I made my recipe tonight (actually copied a recipe from a website) and it was really good! We will definitely be making it again sometime. My husband and I loved it. My 4 year old said he liked it a little bit.. but he ate it without obvious "I hate this food" reflectance. It was his first time eating chickpeas (besides hummus) and he was convinced they were somehow related to chickens anyway. :) We topped with fresh shredded Parmesan and served with Italian bread for a really good under 400 calorie meal (1.5 servings of soup for me).

From: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/02/chickpea-garbanzo-bean-soup-recipe-with.html

Chickpea (Garbanzo Bean) Soup with Spinach, Tomatoes and Basil (makes approximately 8 1-cup servings)

1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans), soaked at least 8 hours or overnight in cold water
    4 cans Aldi Fit & Active chicken broth (you could make this a vegetarian soup by using vegetable broth)
    1 yellow onion, diced
    6-8 cloves garlic, diced very small
    1 T olive oil
    1 14.5 oz can Private Selection no salt added diced tomatoes with juice (Kroger brand)
    4 cups chopped baby spinach (measure before chopping)
    2 T chopped fresh basil (I used 2 tsp dried instead)
    fresh ground black pepper to taste

Soak chickpeas overnight or for at least 8 hours in cold water. Drain chickpeas and discard water, and pick out any loose skins that have come off.

Put chickpeas in heavy soup pot with chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chickpeas are tender (about 1 hour).

When chickpeas are tender, heat olive oil in heavy frying pan, then saute onions about 5 minutes, until fairly soft. Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more. Add onions and garlic to soup pot with diced tomatoes. Let soup simmer on low heat about 30 minutes.

Add chopped spinach to soup (adding a bit more water or chicken stock if needed) and simmer 15-30 minutes more. If you want a thicker soup, you can use an immersion blender to puree some ingredients (or put about 1/3 of soup in the blender).

Stir in chopped basil and cook 5 minutes. Season soup with salt (not in NI) and fresh ground black pepper to taste and serve hot. This is wonderful topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Nutrition information for 1 cup serving (if you want more than I have here, let me know... these are just what I usually track):
    Calories: 100
    Carbs: 16
    Fat: 3
    Protein: 6
    Fiber: 5
    Sodium: 539 (almost all from the chicken broth, which is lower salt but I am sure there is better out there... or you can do homemade stock to lower the sodium if you are better at that than I am!)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Just found a recipe for Pumpkin, Banana and Chick Pea Curry - Wish I had the time to make it! Unfortunately all our meals for the next few days are accounted for, given some restrained time schedules and a family member that cannot eat chick peas at all (due to medical reasons). Darn!
    Recipe can be found here: http://www.ivu.org/recipes/indian-veg/pumpkin.html
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump - sounds yummy!
  • ahsongbird
    Options
    picked up some chickpeas today and am going to try a chickpea noodle and dumpling soup tomorrow :D
  • DownHomeGal
    Options
    picked up some chickpeas today and am going to try a chickpea noodle and dumpling soup tomorrow :D

That sounds YUMMY!!! Can't wait for you to post the recipe!
  • ahsongbird
    Options
    okay im not gonna enter the recipe b/c quite frankly, its very meh. nothing special nothing great and it didnt even look good so no lol. I got the recipe from 101 cookbooks and altered it to use ingredients i had and FAILED but if you wanna try to make it the way they specified just search chickpea noodle soup
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Moroccan Rice Stew
    * Inspired by a recipe off of Food.com (http://www.food.com/recipe/moroccan-spaghetti-very-low-fat-and-healthy-301361) - I changed and eliminated ingredients due to preference and availability in my pantry.

INGREDIENTS:
    1/2 cup of uncooked brown rice (makes 1.5 cups cooked)
    1 yellow onion, chopped finely
    3 garlic cloves, crushed *** I think the crushed garlic is kinda weird, I would chop it so you don't end up eating a big piece of it!
    28 ounces chopped tomatoes, from a can
    1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    < .25 teaspoons ginger
    1 pinch salt
    1 pinch black pepper
    10 ounces chickpeas, from a can, drained and rinsed

DIRECTIONS:
    1) Start cooking rice according to instructions
    2) Meanwhile, heat a non-stick pan and spray with low fat cooking spray.
    3) Add the onions and garlic and sautee until they start to get soft
    4)Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, cumin, curry powder, ginger and salt and pepper and lightly simmer for about 8 minutes stirring frequently.
    5) Stir in the chickpeas and heat just long enough to cook through, about 3 minutes.
    7) Add in cooked rice and stir to make sure it is coated in sauce. Simmer for a few minutes to allow rice to absorb stew flavor.

Prep: 5 min
    Cook: 20-30 min

CALORIES PER SERVING:
    Calories (188) Carbs (38) Fat (1) Protein (5) Vit A (20) Fiber (5)

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    5 average servings

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
    I LOVE North African/Moroccan Food. That being said, this dish is hearty, filling, and I think it is delicious! Can absolutely taste a variety of flavors (although me, spice nut that I am want even more next time!). The flavor is very deep and savory (with a hint of sweet from the cinnamon), not hot spicy at all - though I think it would be WONDERFUL hot if I could figure out what sort of spices would help with that. I'm really happy with this recipe, but I need to give a serving or two to my roommate - because it makes a lot (and I eat a smaller serving size than average to begin with) and also, I want an opinion!

PICTURE (optional): Never added pics before - let's see if this works!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_gewIuSYW7To/TLY4tx681PI/AAAAAAAAAyU/DBkXXNW37NA/CIMG3824.JPG
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/_gewIuSYW7To/TLY5mAidTbI/AAAAAAAAAy4/oqN8B5NVUl8/s640/CIMG3826.JPG