OT:Ok, what was your biggest fashion blunder

Options
124»

Replies

• Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Flashback to 1987!!!

Hokay, how funny...a friend just sent me this photo...so here ya go! I'm on the left!

I have to point out...the funky hair, permed, to one side in the puffy front "just enough," the tapered pants, the white LA Gear shoes, and no socks...braces...errr...looking around...what else. LOL

OMG! I'm in tears reading these! LMBO I was wondering if I was the only one with LA Gears or the ultra-cool upgrade...LA LIGHTS.:laugh: Haha...acid washed denim OUTFIT with neon fabric paint splattered on it (jeans tucked in of course), cowl neck sweater a la Carol Seaver on Growing Pains (sleeves rolled up over jacket) and I cant forget the mutiple neon jelly bracelets that we creatively looped together to form a chain up our arm. And that was just Monday!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Flashback to 1987!!!

Hokay, how funny...a friend just sent me this photo...so here ya go! I'm on the left!

I have to point out...the funky hair, permed, to one side in the puffy front "just enough," the tapered pants, the white LA Gear shoes, and no socks...braces...errr...looking around...what else. LOL

OMG! I'm in tears reading these! LMBO I was wondering if I was the only one with LA Gears or the ultra-cool upgrade...LA LIGHTS.:laugh: Haha...acid washed denim OUTFIT with neon fabric paint splattered on it (jeans tucked in of course), cowl neck sweater a la Carol Seaver on Growing Pains (sleeves rolled up over jacket) and I cant forget the mutiple neon jelly bracelets that we creatively looped together to form a chain up our arm. And that was just Monday!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did you notice my Swatch??? :laugh: :tongue:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Flashback to 1987!!!

Not only did I have pink LA Gears, but my baby had the baby LA Gears that lit up and had little diamonds all over them. And we had acid washed everything. We even had matching little overalls that were close to the acid wash.
  • fashionkitten13
    Options
    _41168215_pp_clare.jpg

OMG! This was me, only my hair was so over permed that I looked like a poodle if it wasn't in that silly side ponytail. :laugh: :laugh:

I never quite grew out of that... in high school I would buy clothes at Goodwill and "fix" them. Crazy colored patchwork inserts down the sides of my jeans with waaay too many plastic beaded bracelets and velvet chokers. I remember searching everywhere for the biggest hoodie I could find only to put faux tiger fur around the hood and sew my fine arts letter (I was and Orch dork, yes) onto the hoodie... thought I was too cool for a letterman's jacket. The best was my maroon "Christmas" hoodie... I painted designs all over the back and sewn some tinsel to the hood.

I'm still out there on some stuff... but I'm trying to tone it down more. :bigsmile:
  • fashionkitten13
    Options
    Did anyone else have feathers for earring and for the hair clips? And the really dangly earrings that went to the sholders?

Shoot... you mean feather earrings aren't still hot? I do still own some.... seriously.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    LOVE THE PIC!

Yes, I'm guilty of wearing a feather in my hair (or dangling from my hair/head)
    YES I was a HUGE swatch fan..I think I even had the big swatch hanging on my wall next to my Rob Lowe poster...LOL

LOLOLOL

I don't know if it's a NE thing but does anyone remember blutchers (that what we called them)
    Looked like ugly brown leather boat shoes and you wouldn't tie them but put the laces in these funky little knots?
    Anyone actually put a penny in their penny loafers?
    I did!

Kim
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    LOVE THE PIC!

YES I was a HUGE swatch fan..I think I even had the big swatch hanging on my wall next to my Rob Lowe poster...LOL

LOLOLOL

I don't know if it's a NE thing but does anyone remember blutchers (that what we called them)
    Looked like ugly brown leather boat shoes and you wouldn't tie them but put the laces in these funky little knots?
    I did!

Kim

I had those shoes!!!! The name brand was Eastlands and you better not dare tie them, you did this little roll thing on the side!!! Oh this is so fun!!!!! I DID put a penny in my loafers....and one time I had not one pair but TWO at the same time.....a brown pair and a navy blue pair!!!

Anyone else remmber Girbaud jeans???
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I had the same purple/blue mascara in middle school (thought I was SO rad!)
    I had the big, aqua net hair (you know we girls are what caused the hole in the ozone layer!! :laugh: )
    I went through a stage wearing ALL black.....all the time. (I was awesome!)
    There is a school pic of me in 7th grade with a mullet..yes, a naturally curly mullet!!:sick:
    Pink LA Gears OMG YES!
    Jelly Shoes
    Jelly bracelets!
    I did the feather thing!

I was born in 74', so I hit the 80s at the perfect age!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

Since everyone is sick in my house, we were looking through some old pics yesterday..kids get a kick out of that (yes, there was life before they were born..LOL..I think?)

Anyway, besides my obsession in 7/8th grade with purple/blue eyeliner and mascara with frosty pink lippie
    I found a pic on my first vacation away with DH (we were in our early 20's/dating)
    I must have thought I was the BOMB....what was I thinking???..it was CA..in the summer..HOT!
    I had cut denim shorts with work boots (socks sticking out the top) and a long sleeve button down tied around my waist (Just for looks..LOL)
    Too funny...horrific....sad...all rolled into one..LOL

So fess up time!
    Kim

Kim - that look is totally Kelly Taylor circa 1990 - West Beverly High!!
    :tongue: :wink:
  • AJCM
    Options
    OMG...I've done all of the above! I went through different styles growing up.

Mid 80's I was a head bangers.
    wearing lots of dark clothes
    tight, really tight jeans with a short leather jacket.
    wore lots of hair bands as head bands (the material ones).
    I loved my def leppard shirt so much I think I wore it at least 4 times a week! lol

Then came my preppy days:

I also shaved my hair but on the one side only.
    I also wore the jelly shoes and the dollar store tennis shoes (2 pair for 5$)
    I wore pins with pictures of my favorite artist
    I wore these ugly dresses that had a huge v neck, like down to your belly button but had a built in shirt underneath, It was big at the top and was tight on your thighs (grade 8 graduation, it was yellow too).

High school I had the typical small town girl big hair that was huge on top and on the sides but the back was flat as can be. Clothes was mostly skinny pants with over sized shirts.

oh the good old days.

Hahaha - I also had my head shaved - but just underneath at the back! How odd was that? It was the late 80's... can't blame myself...
    :noway:

Some of these styles are coming back in a new way (well some of the shapes and cuts of the clothes). When I see the young girls and guys wearing their H&M duds, I have a little giggle of reminisecence...
    :smile:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is embarrassing.....I went through a "Perfect" meets "Flashdance" phase. I cut and slashed all of my t-shirts, sweatshirts and jeans and wore lots of leg-warmers and tights. I was bloody awful and, truthfully, I was old enough to know better.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Well, I went through a phase in junior high where all my pants had to be the super super wide leg pants, with tiny little tee shirts on top. I was SO awesome.
    But I guess my biggest fashion blunder is walking around for years not realizing that my eyebrows have to be severely groomed to even be passable. I look at picture of myself pre-waxing and think, "Oh my GOD, did I really think I looked okay?" I looked like Bert from Sesame Street.
    yikes-1.jpg

This is the only picture I can find from that time period. I know it's kind of blurry and creased, but you can still see the monstrous eyebrows. *Shudder*
  • AJCM
    Options
    Well, I went through a phase in junior high where all my pants had to be the super super wide leg pants, with tiny little tee shirts on top. I was SO awesome.
    But I guess my biggest fashion blunder is walking around for years not realizing that my eyebrows have to be severely groomed to even be passable. I look at picture of myself pre-waxing and think, "Oh my GOD, did I really think I looked okay?" I looked like Bert from Sesame Street.
    yikes-1.jpg

This is the only picture I can find from that time period. I know it's kind of blurry and creased, but you can still see the monstrous eyebrows. *Shudder*

The montrous eyebrows are coming back!!! I was just looking at the magazine rack yesterday, and EVERY cover model has HUGE eyebrows! I know it's been slowly coming back, and the brows have been growing, but it's getting serious (check out the mags next time you're at the store!). You look modern girl!
    :tongue:
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    LOVE THE PIC!

LOLOLOL

I did!

Kim

I had those shoes!!!! The name brand was Eastlands and you better not dare tie them, you did this little roll thing on the side!!! Oh this is so fun!!!!! I DID put a penny in my loafers....and one time I had not one pair but TWO at the same time.....a brown pair and a navy blue pair!!!

Anyone else remmber Girbaud jeans???

Ahhhh Girbaud jeans!!! :laugh: My best friend and I had matching black denim Girbaud overalls that had black and yellow polka dot patches all over them. LOL I was just looking at that picture.:laugh: We were so cool.:glasses:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The montrous eyebrows are coming back!!! I was just looking at the magazine rack yesterday, and EVERY cover model has HUGE eyebrows! I know it's been slowly coming back, and the brows have been growing, but it's getting serious (check out the mags next time you're at the store!). You look modern girl!
    :tongue:

I actually noticed that in my Vogue this month and I thought, WTF? I get waxed religiously every two weeks to AVOID looking like that. I have probably spent a small fortune getting my eyebrows done for the past ten years; I should have just left them. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    But I guess with the right clothing, lighting, and body shape, you can wear your eyebrows however you want to. I, unfortunately, don't have that luxury. LOL
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Big bangs
    Zinc pink lipstick by Revlon (the really frosty stuff)
    a mustard yellow leather jacket with matching mustard yellow leather boots

OMG, what was I thinking????????????????? My kids just laugh!!:laugh: