Which is healthier?

Options
I'm only on Day 3 of my journey (not the first time, but I've started over) and am not very hungry. I KNOW this will catch up with me soon so I'm not too concerned in that aspect, but tonight I was unable to finish my supper and was too full to eat anymore. It's 8:00pm now and I'm a teeny bit hungry, but nothing horrible. I only ate 1100 calories today. Is it better to just skip the rest of my meal and stay with the 1100, or is it better to go ahead and eat it even though it's late? What is the lesser of 2 evils? I'm more interested in being healthy than in losing weight too fast.......

Replies

• AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter WHEN you eat as long as you eat the right amount of calories to lose weight. what is the right amount?

it's whatever you decided on, MFP told you or whatever tool you used but if you're supposed to eat 1500 per day to lose weight and you're at 1100 and feeling hungry (then eat) but don't worry about WHEN.

on the other hand let's say you're supposed to eat 1100 and you're still hungry then you need to re-evalute and schedule your meals better thruout the day
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Try hit your calorie goal, I know people think 'eat less weigh less' but calories are FUEL. If you're doing workouts you need to hit it! It's already factored in weight loss. Your body doesn't stop metabolizing just because it's late / asleep. :)
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I see you daily goal is netting 1200. If you have is set up to lose 1lb a week that means there is a 500 calorie deficit, and you can still lose weight even if you ate over your daily goal by 400 calories but it will just be a slower proccess. I will say eating 100 calories over 1200 is much healthier for you than eating 100 calories less than 1200 because netting 1200 calories is the minimum for a women.
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm barely hungry right now, and have not worked any "real" exercise into my days yet--that's coming soon though. I'm set at 1200 calories per day, and have been fairly close to that by eating low cal, lots of veggies, fruits, etc. I think I'll go ahead and finish supper. :) Just trying to do what's best for my body. My goal is 1-2 lbs per week and to worry less about weight loss and more about just getting healthy.
  • shancheer24
    shancheer24 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think you would benefit from reading this article. I also agree that 1100 calories is too low, your metabolism will slow down with too few of calories because it basically goes into "starvation mode".

You can also try drinking a large glass of water, a lot of the time our bodies make us think we are hungry, when in fact it just wants water.

Right now i am 139lbs, 5'4 and i am 28 years old and im trying to lose 1lb a week, MFP has my calorie intake is set at 1330 a day. I do find it hard to find the right balance between eating too many and too few calories a day.

http://sophieologie.wordpress.com/2013/09/26/1200-calories/
  • chicpower1
    Options
    Oh thanks so much!!! I'm going to read it in just a moment. And yes, starvation mode is what I was worried about. I do NOT want to be crash dieting. I do NOT want to drop rapid weight because I'm not eating healthily. I just want to lose weight naturally through eating well.

I did manage to go to the store tonight to pick up some more food options. I figure at some point I'll burn out on egg salad, but MAN I love the stuff. BAHAHAHAHA! I also know the cravings will kick in soon, so I purchased some low-cal pretzel chips, some pitas that I can make a diabetic pizza with (loaded with spinach and tomato) and some beets and carrots so I can make beet chips and carrot fries tomorrow. I'm so excited to be switching my eating habits!!!! I feel better already!
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    i agree with the others, try and get into a routine of hitting your calories, if you are only on 1100kcal at night prehaps readjust your routine to have more calories in the morning.
    if you dont manage to hit your daily goals the odd couple of times, dont worry your body wont suddenly get into starvation mode, that will only happen should you deprive over a long period of time.
    it took me a good couple of months to adjust and hit the calories right i found im more hungry at night than the day so i readjusted my meal times
    good luck! :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Is the egg salad homemade?
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wow 1100 calories for the day? That seems awfully low. I would think you should probably be eating a little more than that, especially if you're active during the day.

It doesn't matter when you eat, it just matters how much you eat during the day or throughout the week. If you're under your maintenance level you'll lose weight.
  • chicpower1
    Options
    Yes, it was homemade. Just boiled eggs, light mayo (just enough to make it "wet" without overdoing it) and some salt and pepper. My idea of heaven. LOL! I did go ahead and finish my meal last night to ensure I reached my 1200 calorie mark. I'm trying to plan my day out accordingly now so this doesn't happen again. I am trying to break myself from eating after 7pm so I'm going to have to push a larger lunch I think. Thanks for all the advice guys!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    The feeling of being hungry has absolutely nothing to do with how your fueling your body or what nutrients your taking in and if it is enough...