First day....

Options
I made some bad food choices (not healthy) today and some good food choices. How do you avoid junk food and make good food choices. Like I choose califlower over chips today and I felt so much better. Any tips or advice....

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You're allowed to eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your calorie goal for the day.

Making food choices that are healthy may make meeting that goal easier, but don't get so focused on it that you miss out on living your life.

I tell myself that eating a better food choice will
    1.) Make me feel fuller on less calories, thus making meeting my goal for the day easier.

and

2.) Make me feel healthier so I am more inclined to exercise and continue to eat healthy.
  • gr8ntime
    gr8ntime Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Think about the good for you foods you like and make sure you always have some on hand (for ex: apples with peanut butter, baby carrots, fruit cups in their own juice). I hAve a little refrigerator in my office at work usually stocked with good for me stuff and that helps me.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Assuming your the food shopper, don't buy bad snacks that you will go overboard with. Plan out your snacks to stay within your calories, and you'll be fine. Good luck!
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    For me, I try to make sure I don't get really hungry. It seems I care less about what I eat when extreme hunger sets in.
  • mreimer102
    mreimer102 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the 310 nutrition protein drink. In the past, protein drinks I tasted were awful. This one, is supposed to be fantastic.a lot of rave reviews. I have already started mixing fruit (fresh or frozen) with almond milk, and other great things, shakes, to drink, twice a day. Everything is only a cup; not matter what you eat; then eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism going ( good things like fruit, veg, low calorie snacks), and one meal with low fat meat/veg. The 310 shake will curb your appetite and many people are doing well on it. I have just been doing the shakes for 3 days, and eating every couple of hours and have lost over 3 pounds. This is the easiest diet have ever done. You do not feel deprived. You can google them. I found it by accident.
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MFP. stick around and read the forums for choice help. Log everything you eat, after a while you will find yourself making better choices and making trade offs. portion control can be your friend,
  • tifelayne
    Options
    I find that if I cut all of those bad foods out of my diet for a couple of days, the cravings do finally go away. But, those couple of days are very hard to push through at first.
  • flashfangirl_102
    flashfangirl_102 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I find that if you're craving a cookie just eat the damn cookie! Just keep in mind that you cant eat a whole package!
  • izzie_loves_2_run
    Options
    you are not allowed to eat what ever you want, (sorry) but portion does make a difference! to boost your weight loss try what i do, if you know what junk you want to eat, plan it in your daily calories. if you work out extra you will have a few extra calories for it. Do not eat large portions though. Also drink lots of water most of the time the cravings for food are actually our body craving water! THIS IS A PROVEN FACT! :) What i do is i do not starve myself of sweets, i do not eat fast foos, id rather have a sweet than a burger because its less grease, and less sodium. i can burn off sugar but sodium holds on to the sugar and causes bloat. so pick your poision my dear! I do! :0 IIts harder when i am stressed or sad i want to grap a tub of ice cream and move in, but i look at old pictures of the fit" me and i ask myself, do i want this ice cream or junk more than i want to be fit???? will i be guilty after i eat this? will i want to workout to burn this after i eat it??? will it make me feel better, anything you eat that makes you feel guilty probably is not the best choice. now a cheat day where you can slack a little is fine, dont go nuts or all your hard work will go to waste. also remember if you dont remember anything else "EAT FOR WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO, NOT FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE", so if you work out and are about to relax the rest of the day eat light! Hope all is well, enjoy your weekend stay strong and stay healthy! Your support, israel!
  • Greeneyesgirl43
    Options
    What great tips!!! Thank you so much!! :)
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    That choice was a good one. With mfp you can pretty much have almost anything as long as a it is in the right portion size and not over your calorie limits.. My advice, try to replace those so called junk food items a little at a time with healthy choices. In time you will develop good eating habits and reach for the healthy foods before the unhealthy ones.. Once you have developed these good eating habits, having stuff like ice cream, cake and such will be easier to control because after all, once again you can have just about anything portioned correctly.. At the end of the day if I still have a lot of calories available (200 - 300) which happens more than you think, I'll have some ice cream which will be 150 to 180 calories. I used to have an ice cream serving that would feed 6 people, no more.. It's discipline. You have to want to be healthy more than you want to pig out on junk food.. It doesn't happen over night but there are a lot of people here that are here to help you as they are doing for me. It's mutual help and encouragement and it helps tremendously!!! If you or anyone else would like to, please send me a friend request so we can start to help and support one another......
  • Alexandriabiggy
    Options
    I'm 5'10 327 pounds I recently put on about 150 pounds trying to conceive my daughter. I've tried to loose the weight but am finding it hard!! If anyone wants to add me feel free
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 327 pounds I recently put on about 150 pounds trying to conceive my daughter. I've tried to loose the weight but am finding it hard!! If anyone wants to add me feel free

I don't think putting on 150lbs will help you conceive.
  • mreimer102
    mreimer102 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Add frozen fruit and blend them with skim milk, low cal juice, yogurt, etc. Eat portion sized meals and snacks in between. Eat every 2-3 hours; use weight watcher meals if you need to. Eating within your calorie limits will help you. Remember to check the portion size of everything you buy, and stay on what it says as the portion size; which is usually 1/2 to a cup. Walk everyday and drink 8-10 glasses cups of water a day. I started at 178 and in less than a month, I have dropped to 165.8. I dropped quicker when I walk in morning and the evening. Total is usually about 3 miles a day, 60 minutes of walking and burning at least 300 calories. Your meat sizes should fit in the palm of your hand unless it is a weight watcher meal, which comes close to that anyway. If you eat often, with healthy snacks, you won't be hungry and junk food cravings will disappear. I like the special K snacks, they are lower in fat and calorie and tastes very good. 1200 calorie daily limit.
    Melba
  • determined2bfit13
    determined2bfit13 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you are not allowed to eat what ever you want, (sorry) but portion does make a difference! to boost your weight loss try what i do, if you know what junk you want to eat, plan it in your daily calories. if you work out extra you will have a few extra calories for it. Do not eat large portions though. Also drink lots of water most of the time the cravings for food are actually our body craving water! THIS IS A PROVEN FACT! :) What i do is i do not starve myself of sweets, i do not eat fast foos, id rather have a sweet than a burger because its less grease, and less sodium. i can burn off sugar but sodium holds on to the sugar and causes bloat. so pick your poision my dear! I do! :0 IIts harder when i am stressed or sad i want to grap a tub of ice cream and move in, but i look at old pictures of the fit" me and i ask myself, do i want this ice cream or junk more than i want to be fit???? will i be guilty after i eat this? will i want to workout to burn this after i eat it??? will it make me feel better, anything you eat that makes you feel guilty probably is not the best choice. now a cheat day where you can slack a little is fine, dont go nuts or all your hard work will go to waste. also remember if you dont remember anything else "EAT FOR WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO, NOT FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE", so if you work out and are about to relax the rest of the day eat light! Hope all is well, enjoy your weekend stay strong and stay healthy! Your support, israel!

Love this!! Great advice!